Bazley’s New Balance contract | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley’s New Balance contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HS team wore Worthy's New Balance sneakers in '87-'88 and '88-'89 (our colors were purple and gold). Loved those sneakers - they helped us post back-to-back 6-14 seasons, if I recall correctly. I think this was the '87-'88 version:

View attachment 142386

Love it.

They put these Worthy’s out a couple years ago which I loved. I kinda wanted to buy them, but couldn’t think of a circumstance in which I would ever wear them.

qbjjyede9vqjwdeyefzb.jpg.cf.jpg

Hes taking a ton of heat on his comments today I can tell u that much. Good or bad idk but a lot of the media is spinning it as him being a cranky old man. Just hate giving others ammo even if it's a bunch of b.s. every recruit there is has seen Jim Boeheims name on Twitter today in mostly a negative light.

If any writer is spinning a cranky narrative about JB that's just because they want to and has little to do with anything he said today.
Listen to the interview and tell me what was cranky or out of line. If someone doesn't agree with what he said that's fine but let's not spin it into something negative.

If any writer is spinning a cranky narrative about JB that's just because they want to and has little to do with anything he said today.
Listen to the interview and tell me what was cranky or out of line. If someone doesn't agree with what he said that's fine but let's not spin it into something negative.
I'm not spinning anything. I'm just saying that the media is only putting out a small part of what he said today for clicks and not telling the whole story unless u read the entire article. They are purposely making him look bad and putting a negative spin on it. I never said I didnt agree with what he said. I actually think he had some good ideas and was spot on about most of it.

This should be much ado about nothing...which it is. Nothing Boeheim said was negative/cranky or whatever. Geez.

This should be much ado about nothing...which it is. Nothing Boeheim said was negative/cranky or whatever. Geez.
Good lord I'm not saying that. If u have Twitter then do yourself a favor and type jim boeheim into the search and under the latest tweets that come up just take a look for yourself. Literally every news outlet has a one line quote of what he said making him look bad. He was spot on with what he said but they dont put it out there to see. Its crap and he actually has had some people respond in support of him to actually read the interviews instead of just smashing him based off of one quote being put out there. Your right tho, it is nothing and it should be nothing. But it actually is something seeing as tho espn has covered it, baileys agent was on the JUMP with Rachel Nichols and TMAC and every other news outlet tweeting the same b.s. one liner of what he said.

Good lord I'm not saying that. If u have Twitter then do yourself a favor and type jim boeheim into the search and under the latest tweets that come up just take a look for yourself. Literally every news outlet has a one line quote of what he said making him look bad. He was spot on with what he said but they dont put it out there to see. Its crap and he actually has had some people respond in support of him to actually read the interviews instead of just smashing him based off of one quote being put out there. Your right tho, it is nothing and it should be nothing. But it actually is something seeing as tho espn has covered it, baileys agent was on the JUMP with Rachel Nichols and TMAC and every other news outlet tweeting the same b.s. one liner of what he said.

I’m with ya. It’s just stupid that it’s being picked up by various news outlets as a feud or whatever. I rarely defend Boeheim in regards to the media and/or running his mouth but this is just crazy. It’s seriously nothing, lol.

This was the one part of the JB statement that I disagreed with. I’m not sure how you can allow players to profit from endorsement/commercial opportunities and not have that serve as the market for recruiting. Posters or local economies could basically be bidding for high schoolers to come to their associated schools base on how much they would pay for likeness rights and commercials.
That's not actually a problem.

This was the one part of the JB statement that I disagreed with. I’m not sure how you can allow players to profit from endorsement/commercial opportunities and not have that serve as the market for recruiting. Posters or local economies could basically be bidding for high schoolers to come to their associated schools base on how much they would pay for likeness rights and commercials.
It would absolutely be a recruiting tool. I'm OK with that. People argue it would hurt parity. I'm more concerned with what's fair for the athletes.

He isn’t getting a $1mm upfront
That's right. I just read the ESPN article and there is even one more wrinkle. He gets $200K/years for 5 years, and it seems like being on an NBA roster is a pre-condition. If he completely flames out in the workouts, and doesn't get drafted, does he even get paid? This reminds me of McNabb's contract with the Redskins where the headline was like $500 million but for $100K guaranteed (numbers may be slight exaggeration)

That's right. I just read the ESPN article and there is even one more wrinkle. He gets $200K/years for 5 years, and it seems like being on an NBA roster is a pre-condition. If he completely flames out in the workouts, and doesn't get drafted, does he even get paid? This reminds me of McNabb's contract with the Redskins where the headline was like $500 million but for $100K guaranteed (numbers may be slight exaggeration)
Here is that article:

Rich Paul: $1M intern a result of 'broken system'

You are spot on. We all (SU Fans) agree it was nothing, but as media is these days, that have spun it negatively. I'm pissed at Jeff Goodman, but he is a journo and its his job to do this. JB will NEVER do this, but he is the poster child for someone who could use PR training. Guys like Goodman love him because he says what he wants when he wants. No doubt, that has gotten him into some trouble, right or wrong over the years, and has probably made his job a bit harder as a result. And again, I don't think what he said was bad, but they certainly spun it that way. Gotcha journalism at its finest!

I was watching him on The Jump and he talked about a broken system and how kids need options. I was confused at first wondering if he was talking about the NBA or college basketball. I mean the 1 and done rule is an NBA rule not a NCAA rule. So the NBA are the ones that made it impossible for him to play in the league. The whole reason the NBA put this rule in place is to stop guys like Rich Paul from convincing kids that weren't ready to hire them and go into the draft and then they get drafted in the 2nd round, don't make it and have no money and can't go develop at the college level. I'm not saying I agree with the rule but Darius is a perfect example of a kid that should have gone to college and played basketball but he comes from a poor family that needs money and he feels the pressure to provide for them. So he makes decisions that doesn't make sense to try and get there. He has potentially cost himself multiple millions of dollars to make $200k a year. It's truly sad. Parents are supposed to provide for their kids not the other way around.

You are spot on. We all (SU Fans) agree it was nothing, but as media is these days, that have spun it negatively. I'm pissed at Jeff Goodman, but he is a journo and its his job to do this. JB will NEVER do this, but he is the poster child for someone who could use PR training. Guys like Goodman love him because he says what he wants when he wants. No doubt, that has gotten him into some trouble, right or wrong over the years, and has probably made his job a bit harder as a result. And again, I don't think what he said was bad, but they certainly spun it that way. Gotcha journalism at its finest!
I understand what you are saying but I don't think this costs us much in recruiting. If this FBI trial has taught us anything our issue is that we are competing against schools who have intermediaries paying kids families a few hundred grand. That is what is stopping us from landing the top kids. Not some tweet from Goodman.

What I found interesting about the Rich Paul interview was he didn't even try to pretend that Bazely would be ready for the draft which I thought was interesting. He could have said we are hooking him up with great work outs and he is meeting with people who know the NBA game etc. He didn't even do that and basically said this is his path and not for everybody. Without saying it he basically said it was a mistake and he was trying to do the best with the situation. It makes me believe he doesn't want to be the guy driving this car because he knows it's heading for a ditch.

maybe this was a gigantic work on the level of 1997 Survivor series between JB, Lebron, Bazely, and New Balance.

Lebrons deal with NIKE is worth an astronomical amount. Why is he helping the competition? If this is all about Lebrons agent helping Bazley why didnt they sign him up with Nike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom