Bazley’s New Balance contract | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley’s New Balance contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Bazely isn't as dumb as people on this board made him seem.

Bazely is a real talent, and a prototypical Syracuse wing, but he played against weak competition in High School, and would have had an adjustment period coming to college.

He also didn't bring a lot of unique skills to this particular Syracuse team. Think of him as Dolzezaj but with a better handle - and I don't think he would have been better than Dolezaj at the start of the season. He was going to have to really fight and claw for PT here, and I don't think he would have been a 1 and done (at least not a 1 and drafted in the first round).

If he can make a guaranteed million dollars to skip college with the potential to earn more ... its hard for me to say that was a bad decision.

As for Cuse, we wouldn't have Braswell (who is getting rave reviews) if Bazely came here, and I'm not sure we'd land Guerrier or Akok either. The best schools reload when kids go pro, and Syracuse not on sanctions is among the best. Seems like a happy ending on both sides.

Hoping this is Hodge vs. Warrick part 2

lawrence-office-space.jpg

one and done will be gone. The players have go arounds (asia, what bazley is doing). This is not a huge deal. Lets say good for baz and lets move on.

What’s New Balance’s motivation behind this? Why Bazely? All reports recently were not good concerning his game from scouts and guys like Givony. He didn’t look good in the McD game and he probably has many collegues/peers questioning and/or mocking his decision(s). I mean Bazely and his camp should feel VERY fortunate to get this. Good for them but the whole scenario is just crazy to wrap my mind around.

Last edited:
Who's wearing New Balance in the NBA? This is a chance for the brand to get their name out there. It's a risk they're willing to take.

Well - Bazley isn't right now. And there's ZERO guarantee he will be next year either.

They bought an option for WAY down the road that is currently WAY out of the money.
And which could expire worthless, if he either doesn't make the Association, or doesn't make any major splash if/when he finally does - both of which are very real possibilities.

IF he's a future NBA star, then it's pennies on the dollar, but if not, that's a lot of cheddar on a longshot bet.

Does anyone else wish JB didnt comment on the bazley situation like he did? (Even though we "cuse" fans know his personality and how to take what he says) because when lebron trolls you it's not that great considering the following someone like him has. Pretty much everyone will spin it now that hes some old bitter coach blah blah and try to use it against us like they have in the past with remarks he has made about players leaving early etc. Side note: I love JB so please dont think I'm hating on him. Just thought it was worth discussing.

Does anyone else wish JB didnt comment on the bazley situation like he did? (Even though we "cuse" fans know his personality and how to take what he says) because when lebron trolls you it's not that great considering the following someone like him has. Pretty much everyone will spin it now that hes some old bitter coach blah blah and try to use it against us like they have in the past with remarks he has made about players leaving early etc. Side note: I love JB so please dont think I'm hating on him. Just thought it was worth discussing.
Absolutely, every time I just hope he'd say, " I wish him well," and end it. No reason to add anything else. It's a no win situation at this point.

Absolutely, every time I just hope he'd say, " I wish him well," and end it. No reason to add anything else. It's a no win situation at this point.

“hE iS bEiNg SaRcAsTiC. hE iS oLd.” - People who pretend to be all fair and tolerant.

I don't. I thought it was funny. I feel like he and the whole staff handled the situation very well considering how Bazely and his camp handled it.

There are many pros and cons to the deal.

Pro- he gets $1M guaranteed to practice basketball in a gym this year

Con- he has to wear New Balance sneakers

Pro- he can make up to $14M if he hits all of his performance metrics

Con- he has to wear New Balance sneakers

Pro- It’s not Big Baller brand shoes

Con- New Balance basketball sneakers???

Ooof...bet there's a load of dumb posts mocking Bazley's shoe prospects back a couple months.

PR move from New Balance to accelerate some street cred in hoops.

And it is a smart move. This $1m is trying to buy relevance and better than any other marketing move they can make.

I would bet lives of loved ones that he would have to hit insane targets to get that $14m like #1 pick in the draft, rookie of the year and MVP within a certain amount of time.

Perspective: John Wall signed for about $750k/year when he came out.

PR move...

Yeah this whole thing is blown out of proportion, especially with the comment about paying players.

If paying players becomes a thing, we will pay them, just like everyone else. JB is giving his opinon. I don't know why people care we will end up doing what every other school does.

Yeah this whole thing is blown out of proportion, especially with the comment about paying players.

If paying players becomes a thing, we will pay them, just like everyone else. JB is giving his opinon. I don't know why people care we will end up doing what every other school does.
Can we afford it though?

Funny how 99% of these gasbags leave this out on social media

"Jim Boeheim said he would be OK with players earning money of their likeness or celebrity through jersey sales and perhaps appearance opportunities. 'If Tyus Battle could do a commercial in town and make money, I'm 100 percent for that.'''

"Jim Boeheim said he would be OK with players earning money of their likeness or celebrity through jersey sales and perhaps appearance opportunities. 'If Tyus Battle could do a commercial in town and make money, I'm 100 percent for that.'''

Doesn’t fit the narrative/agenda.

They want to believe Jim Boeheim is a cranky old guy selfishly hording his millions to himself while hating on the young guys. No room for any nuance with these Twitter warriors.

Sad. Reality is much different, and Boeheim greatly cares about and wants his players to flourish and is more than generous with his well-earned money that he has made at a greatly under market value salary. We know all that. The angry Twitter hot takers don’t want to know that.

This was the one part of the JB statement that I disagreed with. I’m not sure how you can allow players to profit from endorsement/commercial opportunities and not have that serve as the market for recruiting. Posters or local economies could basically be bidding for high schoolers to come to their associated schools base on how much they would pay for likeness rights and commercials.

...the following someone like him (LeBron) has. .
That is the reason New Balance's move just paid off.
They're getting incalculable attention and PR for their shoes...with LeBron's implicit (if not directly stated) support.
Is that worth a million dollars?
Probably so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online