Bazley’s New Balance contract | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley’s New Balance contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
These types of things aren't measured solely by sales. Dumb as it sounds, a lot of the ROI comes from having the endorser meet execs and investors and things at live events.
Maybe, though who is dying to meet a 10 point per game guy?

the key is if its 1-200K a year after taxes and he is living someplace and gets a car nd travels a bit and doesnt make it any further he will be 3-4 yrs down the road with perhaps a few hundred k in the bank and no college degree, he then spends most of that on getting a degree or else he gets an avg job hopefully someplace..

it can work out too but its still not a set for life deal.
This is part of the paradigm that needs to change - VERY FEW PRO ATHLETES ACHIEVE SET FOR LIFE MONEY.

That can't/shouldn't be the bar to measure against.

This is 100% a good deal for DB. He's made a good chunk of money without doing anything yet professionally and without having to prove his worth at the amateur or minor league level where things can go wrong.

Good for him.
Yes, it's a great deal for him.
And New Balance may try marketing this as the shoe for "people who do it their own way."
(Although the "it" here may mean botching a career before it starts).

Basically if he doesn't make the league and do anything he ends up with 1m. That is not much money really. If you are the 20th pick in this coming draft you make 3.3m guaranteed in your first 2 years. I'm glad he is getting something if everything goes completely sideways for him but the idea that he is all of the sudden the smartest guy in the room is probably not accurate.

Basically if he doesn't make the league and do anything he ends up with 1m. That is not much money really. If you are the 20th pick in this coming draft you make 3.3m guaranteed in your first 2 years. I'm glad he is getting something if everything goes completely sideways for him but the idea that he is all of the sudden the smartest guy in the room is probably not accurate.

Are you confusing sneaker contract with nba contract?

They haven’t been any kind of factor since the 1980’s when James Worthy was a very visible New Balance guy.

It seems like New Balance might be following Puma’s strategy of giving a lot of money to young unproven guys and hoping they hit. Probably not a bad strategy. Those guys will get more money and a higher profile with these companies than they would with the more established b-ball brands. And this is Puma and NB’s only shot to get a megastar...get them early and hope they develop.

My HS team wore Worthy's New Balance sneakers in '87-'88 and '88-'89 (our colors were purple and gold). Loved those sneakers - they helped us post back-to-back 6-14 seasons, if I recall correctly. I think this was the '87-'88 version:

1540241792118.png

I think we are finally seeing the win-win situation that Bazley and his entourage put him in, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

1. If he takes the bold step of skipping college and goes to the G league, does well, gets some hype, and gets drafted high, that's obviously a win for all involved: agents, sneaker companies, the league v ncaa battle, everyone on the NBA side of things.

2. But if he skips college and things begin to not go his way (not strong enough for serious pt in the G-League, etc.) then the sneaker companies and agents that are looking to make a killing in the future off of young talent leaving as early as possible for the NBA will do anything to prevent the NCAA from using the Bazley saga as a scary story to tell high school all americans before they go to sleep. "Remember kids, don't go to the G-League or try doing your own thing. Remember Darius Bazley! He thought he was too good for college and tried to go it alone with out our wonderful facilities, fans, education, and exposure. And look at him now kids; roaming around depressing G league cities and hustling on street ball courts, trying to land a contract to play pro ball somewhere in Madagascar! You don't want to end up like him right?" People making money in NBA related businesses cannot allow that to happen so naturally a deal like his current one emerges to make the choice Bazley made look like a smart one for future prospects, especially some who could turn out way better than he probably will and truly up the exposure and prestige of whatever brand lands the contract.

Sure enough now he has a deal despite making what appear to be 100% the worst decisions, skipping college with the 1 and done rule despite not being some amazing lebron level talent, ending up not even strong enough to play in the G-league, which he said was his big plan when he announced he wasn't going to Cuse. Guaranteed one million bucks with the chance to make 13 more is totally insane given his timeline these past few months, and its all because he was essentially the pioneer. Now if he or someone in his crew could foresee this win win situation then yes they would most definitely be the smartest person in the room.

Are you confusing sneaker contract with nba contract?
I'm not confusing them, I'm just comparing them. If the kid had gone to college and had a good year and been drafted at the 10th pick he would have been guaranteed 7 million dollars. So now he gets 1 million and sits out for a year and risks everything. I guess it's better than having $0 dollars but the whole idea he was somehow the smartest guy to go this route makes no sense.

I'm not confusing them, I'm just comparing them. If the kid had gone to college and had a good year and been drafted at the 10th pick he would have been guaranteed 7 million dollars. So now he gets 1 million and sits out for a year and risks everything. I guess it's better than having $0 dollars but the whole idea he was somehow the smartest guy to go this route makes no sense.

He gets $1-14m sneaker contract which is better than almost every 1st round pick plus his nba contract and most everyone has him going 1st round. Even with 1 year college there’s no guarantee he’d be top 10. Jb said 20-25.

My HS team wore Worthy's New Balance sneakers in '87-'88 and '88-'89 (our colors were purple and gold). Loved those sneakers - they helped us post back-to-back 6-14 seasons, if I recall correctly. I think this was the '87-'88 version:

View attachment 142386
I was just sitting on the couch reading this thread when I saw those sneaks from 87 and my shorts just shrank 5 sizes...strange...
8100421F-87A3-4261-B5AD-A5FCB6259605.gif

He gets $1-14m sneaker contract which is better than almost every 1st round pick plus his nba contract and most everyone has him going 1st round. Even with 1 year college there’s no guarantee he’d be top 10. Jb said 20-25.
Marvin Bagley signed for 3 million per for 5 years with Puma. All guaranteed money. Most people have Bagley going around 25 and that’s before this season and they have anyone going up draft boards who is actually playing in games.

Marvin Bagley signed for 3 million per for 5 years with Puma. All guaranteed money. Most people have Bagley going around 25 and that’s before this season and they have anyone going up draft boards who is actually playing in games.

That’s one player. I said better than most. And you picked the guy who got the largest rookie deal in years.

Good for the kid.
However I am sure a more established client of Rich Paul will be signing with New Balance in the future.
Also this NB makes sense if people look at it from the micro level.
New Balance is a Boston company that John Henry has quietly bought into.
John Henry owns Fenway Sports Group.
FSG owns Liverpool FC soccer club.
LeBron has a stake in the FSG ownership of Liverpool.
This is FSG thru NB doing good by LeBron’s agent Rich Paul.

Good deal for everyone as the money isn’t a lot for them and Bazley get a million dollars.

but how do you tie in kevin bacon?

shoe money can now come out of the shadows. this will help clean up the college game ... at the expense of diminishing the talent pool

No, it really won't. The majority of money in college basketball comes from the boosters. The shoe money is a small fraction because it is geared towards the kids who are closest to being 'can't miss'. There are still bidding wars over top 50 and top 100 players. All this does is shift the rankings down a handful of players...

Last edited:
I don't pretend to know all the rules regarding the NCAA, well I'm not sure they do either, anyways...can a HS kid negiotiate with a sneaker company and not lose eligibility if he doesn't have an agent? There is no doubt in my mind sneaker makers of the world are happy about this because there isn't the cloak and dagger routine they have to go through to get a kid to Kansas or the like and can straight away pay like this.

Good for him. I think this is a very calculated move to make the g league an attractive alternative to college

Well, they needed to do that, so that's a good thing.

People had bagley going around 25????

Article from November of 2017 -projected to go 4th. Bagley

I wonder what his share is after agent'e cut and taxes. And practicing by himself has always been the way to success. Who needs real competition? If you need time to adjust to the college game and aren't physically able to compete in the "G" league well this is the smart way to go. But then common sense and logic are not my strong points. I dont wish failure upon him. I just think he has found a leech that is not giving him any sound advice. We'll see.

I wonder what his share is after agent'e cut and taxes. And practicing by himself has always been the way to success. Who needs real competition? If you need time to adjust to the college game and aren't physically able to compete in the "G" league well this is the smart way to go. But then common sense and logic are not my strong points. I dont wish failure upon him. I just think he has found a leech that is not giving him any sound advice. We'll see.
I agree that we don't know if he would do better in the long run playing this year - either in college or another league. But in the short term, he's clearly done better than I thought he would. And if he isn't going to play, I think the internship is a good idea. If New Balance (and Bazley of course) take it seriously, I think it will be a good opportunity to show he is mature, responsible, and intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom