Bazley’s New Balance contract | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley’s New Balance contract

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for the kid.
However I am sure a more established client of Rich Paul will be signing with New Balance in the future.
Also this NB makes sense if people look at it from the micro level.
New Balance is a Boston company that John Henry has quietly bought into.
John Henry owns Fenway Sports Group.
FSG owns Liverpool FC soccer club.
LeBron has a stake in the FSG ownership of Liverpool.
This is FSG thru NB doing good by LeBron’s agent Rich Paul.

Good deal for everyone as the money isn’t a lot for them and Bazley get a million dollars.

Good for him.

I wonder 2 things though:
1- how does this deal compare to other top 20 or 25 draft picks?
2- does Baz’s trailblazer status get him a premium that future fringe/late first rounders won’t get?

I didn't even know New Balance made basketball shoes...
If you are from the Boston area there is the famous New Balance Building. Where their first store is located and also houses WEEI radio.
It’s located in Brighton, MA.
They sell shoes, clothes, all their stuff there.

the key is if its 1-200K a year after taxes and he is living someplace and gets a car nd travels a bit and doesnt make it any further he will be 3-4 yrs down the road with perhaps a few hundred k in the bank and no college degree, he then spends most of that on getting a degree or else he gets an avg job hopefully someplace..

it can work out too but its still not a set for life deal.

What's the typical shoe deal for a mid-round NBA draft pick? I have to think $1million is roughly inline with that.

Think it's way less for an average non-lotto guy.

the key is if its 1-200K a year after taxes and he is living someplace and gets a car nd travels a bit and doesnt make it any further he will be 3-4 yrs down the road with perhaps a few hundred k in the bank and no college degree, he then spends most of that on getting a degree or else he gets an avg job hopefully someplace..

it can work out too but its still not a set for life deal.

He's not getting an avg job any time in the next 15 years without some kind of career-ending injury.

Well good for him I guess. Clearly I don't understand the economics of sneaker deals for say a low to mid level NBA player. Let's say such player ends up getting paid $10M. Does the shoe company sell enough sneakers with that player's name on them to equate to more than $10M in a shoe sales 'Profit Margin? Really?
NB makes a bit of a splash with this move. There will likely be other HS kids taking this route. Plus, they will sign some current college and NBA players--not because of Bazley's deal, of course; but this gets the company's name out there.

Good for him. I think this is a very calculated move to make the g league an attractive alternative to college

Congrats to him. The other side of looking at this is that famous line from that Facebook movie; "You know what's cooler than a million dollars? A billion dollars."

The point is that this deal is a good one for sure if you have no options, but it would be a very bad one if you were Kevin Durant coming off one year at Texas (for instance). Just like we're always talking about here, players are trying to maximize the dollar value of their potential. Bazley getting a million dollar deal could look like an epic win to people who thought he would wind up penniless after this whole adventure, but it could end up being an epic loss if he turns out to be an NBA superstar. Foregoing college, and then foregoing the G-League caused him to lose the chance to maximize the earning potential of his abilities (at least for right now) and allowed an upstart shoe company to buy him very cheap. If he turns out to suck, then he made out well with this, but I don't think any of these guys approach this situation of saying "if I can just hide the fact that I suck until I get paid..." There is apparently good reason for him to feel he has a lot of value and the decisions he made have compromised that value for whatever the length of this contract is.

Not saying he is a fool, or should have come to SU. As General said - SU may not actually have been the best spot for him to have maxed out his value at this time and circumstance. It's an interesting study for top level players to look at, but it would be dangerous for them to look at this as the top win story for themselves.

Congrats to him. The other side of looking at this is that famous line from that Facebook movie; "You know what's cooler than a million dollars? A billion dollars."

The point is that this deal is a good one for sure if you have no options, but it would be a very bad one if you were Kevin Durant coming off one year at Texas (for instance). Just like we're always talking about here, players are trying to maximize the dollar value of their potential. Bazley getting a million dollar deal could look like an epic win to people who thought he would wind up penniless after this whole adventure, but it could end up being an epic loss if he turns out to be an NBA superstar. Foregoing college, and then foregoing the G-League caused him to lose the chance to maximize the earning potential of his abilities (at least for right now) and allowed an upstart shoe company to buy him very cheap. If he turns out to suck, then he made out well with this, but I don't think any of these guys approach this situation of saying "if I can just hide the fact that I suck until I get paid..." There is apparently good reason for him to feel he has a lot of value and the decisions he made have compromised that value for whatever the length of this contract is.

Not saying he is a fool, or should have come to SU. As General said - SU may not actually have been the best spot for him to have maxed out his value at this time and circumstance. It's an interesting study for top level players to look at, but it would be dangerous for them to look at this as the top win story for themselves.

If he blows up, he renegotiates a new deal with NB or anyone else. Not like being stuck on a rookie contract or something. Maybe he raises his profile in college but again, Fultz only gets 1.5 mil per and he’s a #1 pick.

If I’m not mistaken, this is a bigger shoe contract than any SU NBA player besides Melo has. Right place, right time, right agent.

The only thing this kid has done wrong is opt out of coming here. This isn't a windfall but its a pretty good start for a kid who a lot here thought would never be heard of again. He may be the first but he won't be the last, nor will the Bosa kid from Ohio St football. The elite kids are not going to put good old State U at the forefront anymore.

I don’t know how well he’d have to do but it’s not just $1m if he does well, it could be as much as $14m which I doubt is for his whole career. And that’s just his sneaker contract, not his NBA contract. If he becomes a superstar, he’ll get paid as a superstar.

Think it's way less for an average non-lotto guy.

No it’s not. Unless I’m reading your post wrong which I may be.

This is 100% a good deal for DB. He's made a good chunk of money without doing anything yet professionally and without having to prove his worth at the amateur or minor league level where things can go wrong.

Good for him.

This is 100% a good deal for DB. He's made a good chunk of money without doing anything yet professionally and without having to prove his worth at the amateur or minor league level where things can go wrong.

Good for him.

Bingo. My thoughts as well. Kid seems very good at pulling Houdinis also.

I didn't even know New Balance made basketball shoes...

They haven’t been any kind of factor since the 1980’s when James Worthy was a very visible New Balance guy.

It seems like New Balance might be following Puma’s strategy of giving a lot of money to young unproven guys and hoping they hit. Probably not a bad strategy. Those guys will get more money and a higher profile with these companies than they would with the more established b-ball brands. And this is Puma and NB’s only shot to get a megastar...get them early and hope they develop.

No it’s not. Unless I’m reading your post wrong which I may be.

I was saying that it wasn't in line with the avg nba mid round pick. That it was definitely more than usual. As someone else mentioned. Fultz went #1 overall last year and got $1.5m. Imagine that most guys outside the lottery are in the low 6 figures.

I was saying that it wasn't in line with the avg nba mid round pick. That it was definitely more than usual. As someone else mentioned. Fultz went #1 overall last year and got $1.5m. Imagine that most guys outside the lottery are in the low 6 figures.

Then yes, I agree with you.

They haven’t been any kind of factor since the 1980’s when James Worthy was a very visible New Balance guy.

It seems like New Balance might be following Puma’s strategy of giving a lot of money to young unproven guys and hoping they hit. Probably not a bad strategy. Those guys will get more money and a higher profile with these companies than they would with the more established b-ball brands. And this is Puma and NB’s only shot to get a megastar...get them early and hope they develop.

I think the NYT article mentioned they want to get back into the basketball sneaker business.

Man what an awesome deal for him. Still sad that he isn't coming here, but completely understandable that he passed it up for this opportunity.

Man what an awesome deal for him. Still sad that he isn't coming here, but completely understandable that he passed it up for this opportunity.

The money is obviously real nice. But I think the big coup for him is having Paul as his agent.

Well good for him I guess. Clearly I don't understand the economics of sneaker deals for say a low to mid level NBA player. Let's say such player ends up getting paid $10M. Does the shoe company sell enough sneakers with that player's name on them to equate to more than $10M in a shoe sales 'Profit Margin? Really?
These types of things aren't measured solely by sales. Dumb as it sounds, a lot of the ROI comes from having the endorser meet execs and investors and things at live events.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom