Bazley Decommits | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

Bazley Decommits

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should. No brainer to get other opinions of what he needs to work on.

He needs to learn how to dribble better, stop dipsy doing every time he goes to the hole, finish better, learn when to take it all the way in and when to just stop and shoot and work on those short shots and maybe a floater.

There. That’s it. No need to go to the combine.

The 2 #1 seeds in the G-League playoffs consist of:

Jaron Blossomgame
Amida Brimah
Nick Johnson (Arizona)
Darrun Hillard
Oliver Hanlan
Matt Costello
Nigel Hayes
Isaiah Hicks
Zak Irvin
Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Devin Robinson

Again, those guys make up about half of the 2 best teams in the G-League. That's a list full of guys who were all arguably elite college players. Blossomgame and Hicks were guys who we couldn't even handle in college. Darrun Hillard has to be almost 30 at this point; same with Nick Johnson. Hayes was a monster and I believe a 1st or 2nd team All-American.

Not only are these elite college players, but also grown men. 23-24 year old kids (at the youngest); and Bazley (which I mentioned yesterday in the McD-AA thread) played in a not-so-great league in Cincinnati where he pretty much faced no one of equal ability, thinks he can come in as a 17 year old with a super thin frame and improve his draft stock vs. these players? At this point I'm empathetic to this whole thing, but the kid could end up destroying his draft stock. He's relying on a team that will have 0 ties to him in 2019 improving him. Not only that, he will have to do it vs. guys who are bigger, stronger, and most likely at this point better than him.

Not to get all morally superior but I really don't understand why anyone would root against this kid. I can understand not rooting for him or paying zero attention going forward, but why hope he fails? Sure, he left us in a tough spot & could've handled things differently but I don't get even the slightest sense that he has anything against SU or intended to hurt the program.

I would think people would root for the kid to succeed if, for nothing else, so our fanbase wouldn't look silly for being excited about & hyping a kid who ultimately didn't pan out. Plus, it'd make success next year even sweeter knowing that we achieved it even after losing an NBA talent late in the game. Idk, I genuinely hope the kid goes on to star in the NBA but to each their own.

Jaron Blossomgame
Amida Brimah
Nick Johnson (Arizona)
Darrun Hillard
Oliver Hanlan
Matt Costello
Nigel Hayes
Isaiah Hicks
Zak Irvin
Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Devin Robinson

Again, those guys make up about half of the 2 best teams in the G-League. That's a list full of guys who were all arguably elite college players. Blossomgame and Hicks were guys who we couldn't even handle in college. Darrun Hillard has to be almost 30 at this point; same with Nick Johnson. Hayes was a monster and I believe a 1st or 2nd team All-American.

Not only are these elite college players, but also grown men. 23-24 year old kids (at the youngest); and Bazley (which I mentioned yesterday in the McD-AA thread) played in a not-so-great league in Cincinnati where he pretty much faced no one of equal ability, thinks he can come in as a 17 year old with a super thin frame and improve his draft stock vs. these players? At this point I'm empathetic to this whole thing, but the kid could end up destroying his draft stock. He's relying on a team that will have 0 ties to him in 2019 improving him. Not only that, he will have to do it vs. guys who are bigger, stronger, and most likely at this point better than him.

Yup. Already mentioned just this a few times. Other teams too are stacked with ballers. They’ll be lickin their chops when Bazely checks in.

He just spent a week with the other burger boys. It’s practically a who’s who list of players and schools that are named in scandals. Maybe seeing/hearing in person how the other guys were being taken care of helped make up his mind. He knew he wouldn’t get paid at Syracuse.

This totally sucks but we have to move on. I don’t understand the fans giving up. This is exactly when the team/program needs it’s fans to show up strong. Support the guys we have in developing in the offseason and pray that we can land a player or two.

Not to get all morally superior but I really don't understand why anyone would root against this kid. I can understand not rooting for him or paying zero attention going forward, but why hope he fails? Sure, he left us in a tough spot & could've handled things differently but I don't get even the slightest sense that he has anything against SU or intended to hurt the program.

I would think people would root for the kid to succeed if, for nothing else, so our fanbase wouldn't look silly for being excited about & hyping a kid who ultimately didn't pan out. Plus, it'd make success next year even sweeter knowing that we achieved it even after losing an NBA talent late in the game. Idk, I genuinely hope the kid goes on to star in the NBA but to each their own.
Individually, rooting for a kid to fail or succeed does not change how he plays or effect his life in anyway.

I was one of the ones who was OK with Quade Green's decision and didn't get on him for it; same with Tucker. But for whatever reason, this feels different to me. I can't explain it really, but if Bazley had decommitted and ended up at Michigan State or UNC I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with it.

I don’t get how people can say that we’ll be fine. Maybe we won’t lose 20 games but there is not a universe where we’re a better team without a top 10 recruit next year.
That’s not what fine means.

I don’t follow the NBA and don’t know much about the G League so I have some questions for anyone that knows something about this.

So I read that the G League has a draft which is how Bazley will get on a team. Since these teams are affiliates of NBA teams, would the NBA eligible players be owned by the parent team of the team that drafts them? If not, what percentage of players on a G League team are under contract with the parent club and how many are unaffiliated?

If the parent club owns the rights to most of the players on a team why would they give playing time to or spend time developing a kid that’s going into the draft the following year and will most likely end up with a different NBA team?

I read that Battle and his people planned on him being a one and done but obviously after last year he wasn’t going to be a first round pick so he came back to school. What does Bazley do if he has growing pains and has a poor year? Does he just go into the draft and possibly get picked in the second round or not at all? Would he not enter the draft and go back to the G League for another year as an unaffiliated player?

Is there anything more exciting than playing against the Greensboro Swarm in a sold out Greensboro Coliseum Fieldhouse in front of 2,500 fans?

We were going to be short handed with Bazley next year.

Without Bazley we are even more shorthanded without the most talented player we were going to have.

Our roster
Guards: Howard, Carey, Hughes Boeheim, Washington
Forwards: Dolezaj , Brissett
Centers: Sidibe, Chukwu

That is 9 players and one will be injured so 8.

Yeah, good luck getting 4 newcomers.
Another year with a short roster Whoopie.
Shorthanded with Bazley? How do you figure?

Nine players is plenty.

This about giving his word :

The system says if you want to go to the NBA, you have to sign this paper. He signed the paper.

He's going to be working around the clock with coaches whose primary objective is to develop him into an NBA player, not to win college games. He will be on a professional strength/conditioning regiment. He doesn't have to waste time pretending to be a Rhetorical Studies major, or learning to play exclusively zone which doesn't translate to the NBA. The quality of talent he's going to play against every day will be better than in college.

I'm very sad he's not coming here, and I hate that he did this so late in the process, but I find his decision entirely rational.

I’d buy that if the team had his rights. They don’t. So to the extent the G League coaches are invested in developing these guys why a kid like this? And also they’re on busses half the week going to games. In college it’s one overnight or two a week and hoops from noon on.

Where the Canton Charge play. Maybe I’ll see him. He’s in my neck of the woods.
379BF8B8-F891-4444-ACE6-B1F4FA50A548.jpeg

What about the guys that did come here and then told them they weren’t good enough to play here and showed them the door. Buss, BJ, Kaleb, Chinoso, then Thorpe comes and doesn’t get run. We expect 100% loyalty but don’t give it out, or only give it to worthy players.
What kind of nonsense is that? Playing time isn’t guaranteed, it’s earned.

Jaron Blossomgame
Amida Brimah
Nick Johnson (Arizona)
Darrun Hillard
Oliver Hanlan
Matt Costello
Nigel Hayes
Isaiah Hicks
Zak Irvin
Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Devin Robinson

Hang on though - if it's true that there are all these above average players in the GLeague to battle against, how come it's a bad decision for a college player to leave before they've used all of their eligibility to develop in the GLeague against them and get paid?

Because we hear that all the time here.

Individually, rooting for a kid to fail or succeed does not change how he plays or effect his life in anyway.

I was one of the ones who was OK with Quade Green's decision and didn't get on him for it; same with Tucker. But for whatever reason, this feels different to me. I can't explain it really, but if Bazley had decommitted and ended up at Michigan State or UNC I don't think I'd have as much of a problem with it.
That's interesting. It would annoy me much more had he de-committed to another school at this juncture. Him choosing to go pro tells me that there's really nothing we (JB/staff) could've done. I guess I just don't feel like we "lost out on him" like I do when we get beat out by other schools.

Maybe this is weird but, in the future, I'd much rather say that we just missed out on landing "Darius Bazley, HS-to-G League pioneer & NBA star", rather than "Darius Bazley, undrafted foreign pro" to which people reply "who?".

Jaron Blossomgame
Amida Brimah
Nick Johnson (Arizona)
Darrun Hillard
Oliver Hanlan
Matt Costello
Nigel Hayes
Isaiah Hicks
Zak Irvin
Xavier Rathan-Mayes
Devin Robinson

plus the games are broadcast live on Twitch

Lurked for 10 years. Felt the need to post.

Best of luck to this young man. Cuse fans should have no ill will. He made a decision that he thought was in his best interest. Yeah it sucks for us, but we're not him. We're not his family. Let's hope he made the best decision for himself. Congratulate the young man if you can, and let's move on. Future is promising.

When you were in school you didn’t have to put the work these football and basketball players put in.

The NCAA makes money off these kids. I don’t blame the schools for following the rules.
The rules are the problem.
Do you know everyone's time commitments? For example, when I was at SU, I had a job all four years and was in ROTC, which wasn't too much extra commitment first two years, but the last two years I estimate I was spending 30 -40 hours a week between my job and ROTC.

Lurked for 10 years. Felt the need to post.

Best of luck to this young man. Cuse fans should have no ill will. He made a decision that he thought was in his best interest. Yeah it sucks for us, but we're not him. We're not his family. Let's hope he made the best decision for himself. Congratulate the young man if you can, and let's move on. Future is promising.
Gave you a like for the incredible handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom