Benny williams | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Benny williams

Hell of a retort. Bravo.
I mean he sees things differently. I see a hall of fame coach walking out the door and the struggles to find a quality replacement that will likely ensue, he sees a high quality coach coming in to replace the legend and having instant success, to each their own.

I mean he sees things differently. I see a hall of fame coach walking out the door and the struggles to find a quality replacement that will likely ensue, he sees a high quality coach coming in to replace the legend and having instant success, to each their own.
I see a hall of fame coach that for close to a decade hasn't steered the program at a hall of fame level.

Why struggles? We're historically a top 25 program in the historically best bball conference that's always in the top 3 nationally for attendance and have top notch bball facilities. There will be many quality candidates applying for this job.

Fair point ... downward trend really picked up steam after 12-13 and never returned to the 'old' mean. I"ll edit, but either way it's the same basic pattern. Maybe we need a negative binomial regression or a convergence analysis to isolate the factor.

It all started with this:

1639114379542.png

I do not understand this line of thinking.

Of course there's no guarantee of protected seeds. But that's the goal! The goal isn't to avoid losing seasons. It's to win the most games we can and be best positioned for postseason success.

There's similarly no guarantee that whenever it is we have a new coach that we'll perform to the mediocre standard of the last 8 seasons. In fact, the longer we stay outside of the Top 25 and in 12 or more losses per season territory, the more likely it is that I think the new coach, with all the advantages our program offers, if they're a competent coach and grinds on the recruiting trail, has very good odds of getting our program to perform better than we have been recently.

Then there's that study I did some years back on the top 25 winningest basketball and football coaches which found that 84% of the time, the next guy has a worse winning percentage.

What I would like to see is the opportunity for Benny to start the next two or three games to give him some playing time with the starting group. Maybe start for JB3 one game and Cole for the 2nd game. Opportunity for him to work in the first group, hopefully stay on the floor a bit longer and get into the flow of the game as it starts. If he has some rough minutes, replace him, coach him and get him back in to replace the other starting forward. We pretty much proved again that only playing 5 starters, we run out of gas. We need to invest and build for the future games and the ACC season.
Lets Go Orange!!
This will never happen. He hasn't shown anything to earn a starting assignment.

Is there anyone on this board who actually thinks players like Benny have some ownership in their own performance? Anyone?! Nothing should surprise me on Syracusefan (haha it still does!), but it gets ridiculous to me when Benny doesn’t perform & the coaches get blamed automatically.

Benny turns the ball over within 30 seconds of getting in… “give him a longer leash, you know how Boeheim do!”

Benny misses a bunny or bricks a shot… “Coach destroyed his confidence, I knew it, you know how Boeheim do!”

My thought… “Benny, get in the gym & keep working on your game, you gotta take advantage of the opportunities you have when you get in the game”
Agreed. At this point, he’s contributing a lot less than a guy like Woody, who actually did something in the games when he got to play last season (3 point shots, rebounds). I have faith that Benny will get going soon, but he’s not doing much of anything right now when he’s in the game.

Last edited:
Fair point ... downward trend really picked up steam after 12-13 and never returned to the 'old' mean. I"ll edit, but either way it's the same basic pattern. Maybe we need a negative binomial regression or a convergence analysis to isolate the factor.
I think you mean 2014. We were 25-0, our best start ever, in 2013-14.

I would too, but with the parity in college basketball now, I don’t think that’s feasible year after year. Once JB leaves there are no guarantees winning seasons will be the norm, let alone protected seeds.
I see plenty of CBB programs beyond the blue bloods that have been consistent winners over the past 7-8 years when we’ve been in a down cycle relative to our past success—Baylor, Gonzaga, Nova, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Mich State, Arizona, Oregon, Louisville, Iowa, Cincinnati (before Cronin left), Florida, LSU. There is no reason we shouldn’t be among that group. Parity is exaggerated, btw.

Then there's that study I did some years back on the top 25 winningest basketball and football coaches which found that 84% of the time, the next guy has a worse winning percentage.
We just need to follow the Kansas, Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State trajectory. Williams to Self, Heathcoat to Izzo, Keady to Painter, Beilein to Juwan Howard all worked out. If Lute’s health hadn’t taken a turn for the worse and messed up a smooth transition there, Arizona also would have been on that list. Miller was installed after 2 bad years of interim guys and had things humming quickly. You have to look at peer type programs.

Why struggles? We're historically a top 25 program in the historically best bball conference that's always in the top 3 nationally for attendance and have top notch bball facilities. There will be many quality candidates applying for this job.
I mean Indiana, UCLA, Louisville, Florida, Ohio State, they all had good histories and really struggled to replace their successful coaches. We will see how UNC and Duke end up, but in all likelihood Syracuse will have a lot of growing pains after JB retires, especially if we end choosing to stick “in the family” as opposed to actually getting a quality coach.

I mean Indiana, UCLA, Louisville, Florida, Ohio State, they all had good histories and really struggled to replace their successful coaches. We will see how UNC and Duke end up, but in all likelihood Syracuse will have a lot of growing pains after JB retires, especially if we end choosing to stick “in the family” as opposed to actually getting a quality coach.
This is operating under the assumption that we don't have a "quality coach" in the family. Not sure how you can possibly ascertain the truth of this assumption.

I see plenty of CBB programs beyond the blue bloods that have been consistent winners over the past 7-8 years when we’ve been in a down cycle relative to our past success—Baylor, Gonzaga, Nova, Purdue, Maryland, Wisconsin, Michigan, Mich State, Arizona, Oregon, Louisville, Iowa, Cincinnati (before Cronin left), Florida, LSU. There is no reason we shouldn’t be among that group. Parity is exaggerated, btw.
But for each of those that have had consistent winning teams, other former “winners” have struggled like cuse, Georgetown, Indiana, Ohio State, Texas, UConn. Even teams like Florida, Purdue and LSU have good years but they’ve haven’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination over the last 7

Florida (since 2014): 139-92
LSU: 127- 102
Purdue (better but 2012-13, 2013-14 were bad): 145 - 72
Syracuse: 139 - 94

This is operating under the assumption that we don't have a "quality coach" in the family. Not sure how you can possibly ascertain the truth of this assumption.
Probably because the one donned as the next guy went out and embarrassed himself at Washington? Idk, just a hunch. I have some evidence, what makes you confident that GMac or Red could actually lead a power 6 program?

But for each of those that have had consistent winning teams, other former “winners” have struggled like cuse, Georgetown, Indiana, Ohio State, Texas, UConn. Even teams like Florida, Purdue and LSU have good years but they’ve haven’t been perfect by any stretch of the imagination over the last 7

Florida (since 2014): 139-92
LSU: 127- 102
Purdue (better but 2012-13, 2013-14 were bad): 145 - 72
Syracuse: 139 - 94

You, with your facts and data -
There’s no place for that here!!

Won’t anybody think about the #narrative?? ;)

Im closer to 50 than i am to understanding tiktok...so there is a part of me that honestly still believes bennys hair in his eyes has to be playing some sort of roll in this...flap your fingers in front of your eyes and try to focus...without moving...now get on a basketball court running and do the same.

Yes, this is a stupid theory and worse post...but im sticking to benny simply needing a haircut

Im closer to 50 than i am to understanding tiktok...so there is a part of me that honestly still believes bennys hair in his eyes has to be playing some sort of roll in this...flap your fingers in front of your eyes and try to focus...without moving...now get on a basketball court running and do the same.

Yes, this is a stupid theory and worse post...but im sticking to benny simply needing a haircut
You get a like for your consistency alone.

Edit. Full disclosure, I’ve got what’s called an undercut, with shaved sides and longer hair on top. My bangs will get in my eyes when I get sweating while playing, and yes at 52 I still play. And I’ve taken to wearing a hair band to keep it out of my eyes. So maybe you’re not wrong. It’s not the hair that bugs me though, it’s the sweat.

Would love to hear your methodology on that, specifically on the hoops side.

I don’t mind the zone, but recruits who want to play in the NBA look at playing zone defense as a negative. It may or may not, but I’m sure coaches recruiting against us say it does.
The zone is absolutely a problem, unless you think we would have lost to Colgate playing man like the rest of the free world.

The zone is absolutely a problem, unless you think we would have lost to Colgate playing man like the rest of the free world.
Man to man in college ball isn't the same as it is at playgrounds. It has to be practiced to know when to switch, when to help double and many other little facets. It just as complicated to do effectively as the zone.

In the last 8 years, starting in 2013... Purdue, Maryland, Arizona, Iowa, Cincinnati, and LSU have not made a Final 4... Duke has 1 final 4...Cuse has been to 2 of them... I don't think any other team has more that 2 final 4's in that time...Am I missing something?... How is Syracuse not successful...Because we are not playing 3 to 4 more easy teams and padding our 25 wins?... Yeah the bubble sucks but we are getting in most times and having tourney success...Also parity exists from the bottom up and its only going to get more noticable with the portal... mid majors are more competitive... and last thing is which includes Benny and mid major teams success...Before a recruit like Benny would come in and have swagger over alot of players in the NCAA cause of his ranking and such...in the last 10 years especially that fear of 5 stars doesnt exist with lower level players.. They see these guys in AAU games and compete way before college... Mid majors are older teams and those guys don's worry about freshmen... College basketball has changed people... Cuse has changed...Give me 20 wins and deeper tourney runs.

Man to man in college ball isn't the same as it is at playgrounds. It has to be practiced to know when to switch, when to help double and many other little facets. It just as complicated to do effectively as the zone.
Wow. You really do learn something new every day. I had no idea that the MTM I play at the playground all summer is different than college hoops. Knock me down with a feather!

Wow. You really do learn something new every day. I had no idea that the MTM I play at the playground all summer is different than college hoops. Knock me down with a feather!
You have to learn how every guy your playing with plays their MTM defense, which side he likes to favor, when he is beat and when he needs help. It is just as complicated as zone and to be effective, needs a huge focus of practice time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom