Benny williams | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Benny williams

Years ago while discussing a game in a presser in an off comment JB stated that Freshman are not usually ready to play their first year. They need seasoning and experience and development. There are exceptions a la Carmelo Anthony.
Whether they are ready or not, they want to play.
We're in a new era...no play, no stay.

The time when players were ready to sit and develop (which Syracuse was very good at doing) are all but over.
It's into the transfer portal.

The big hope is that Benny Williams doesn't become another B.J. Johnson...and blossom elsewhere.

You know it's not so much Kadary Richmond-itis I fear as it is Quincy Guerrier-itis. Williams has a path to a starting position next year. But Quincy had a starting role and left. We can debate the wisdom of that move but if we can't convince the kids we have that we can develop them for the next level and get them to stay, we're going to remain mediocre and short on depth every year.

Still, I hope Waters is right.
Waters is likely to be more right than our shthead fans.

And I would argue they were only expected those 2 5-6 year periods.

Your argument is weak. You should give it up and move on.

If you want to say that we were "only" National Championship contenders for those periods, that's fine, but we were Top 20 for most of Boeheim's tenure, so you should give up the notion that we were only good for a couple 5 or 6 year stretches.

You are downgrading our accomplishments beyond reason. All but 4 or 5 programs in America would kill to have the record we have. It's that you want to compare to those 4 or 5 programs as the only measure of "being good".

You know it's not so much Kadary Richmond-itis I fear as it is Quincy Guerrier-itis. Williams has a path to a starting position next year. But Quincy had a starting role and left. We can debate the wisdom of that move but if we can't convince the kids we have that we can develop them for the next level and get them to stay, we're going to remain mediocre and short on depth every year.

Still, I hope Waters is right.

Well, you know, not every solid college PF is going to be the next 3 point shooting wing player.

It's just like how all the big guys want to play point guard when they are kids, and all the short kids want to know what it's like to play in the low post.

That's "Guerrier-Itis" - kids wanting to play out of position to try to prove a point.

It's not team oriented. It's selfish. That's why I'm glad he left, frankly. Because he wouldn't have played the role we wanted him to play. He wanted to be a 3, when he's a 4.

And I would argue they were only expected those 2 5-6 year periods.
So we were actually top 20 56% of the time yet you only expected it 26% ((5.5+5.5)/43) of the time.

I would argue this is more evidence America continues to fall behind in Maths

Whether they are ready or not, they want to play.
We're in a new era...no play, no stay.

The time when players were ready to sit and develop (which Syracuse was very good at doing) are all but over.
It's into the transfer portal.

The big hope is that Benny Williams doesn't become another B.J. Johnson...and blossom elsewhere.
Of course they want to play, ready or not. OK, you're not going to let me go in and foul or create turnovers, I'll go to the transfer portal and go be someone elses problem. It is what it is. Which team is going to put up with a 5* kid who has tremendous promise but can't keep up with the college game because they don't have enough experience?

I think JB is handling the development of Benny well - put him in in spurts - let him get a feel for the pace of the game - maybe he'll have an assist or create and opportunity for himself. You foul someone you're out. Ya da ya da

Q left more on playing style/utilization than playing time

So far, it looks like Boeheim used him better than his current coach at Oregon, who seems to have no use for him lately.

Hopefully we see some improvement the next 2 games vs cupcakes.

I thought Benny was pretty good today. I thought he had a good shift. JB was going to take him out, but left him in until the next dead ball. That's progress. He could legitimately say to Benny, "Nice job out there" when he came off the floor.

Benny final shows some life and makes a great offensive play ... and promptly gets pulled from the game.

No, he left him in until the next dead ball. He was going to get subbed, but he got an extra minute or so as a reward for the good play. JB also gave him a positive reception when he came off the floor.

Personally, I’ve seen this movie before. It’s one of my major pet peeves w/ HCJB, right alongside the “short bench”, over utilization of the zone, and most recently, roster construction.
This entire thread can be summed up in 3 words…rinse and repeat. JMHO

I like that he has switched to 1-3-1 in games to help cure the problem of lack of lateral quickness at the top of the zone. He switches it several times a game, too. He hasn't done that in a long time, do something so different. Lots of trapping in this game, too. I think JB is adapting as he tries to get this season back on track.

No, he left him in until the next dead ball. He was going to get subbed, but he got an extra minute or so as a reward for the good play. JB also gave him a positive reception when he came off the floor.
Would have been more positive to put him back in when wheels were falling off.

Your argument is weak. You should give it up and move on.

If you want to say that we were "only" National Championship contenders for those periods, that's fine, but we were Top 20 for most of Boeheim's tenure, so you should give up the notion that we were only good for a couple 5 or 6 year stretches.

You are downgrading our accomplishments beyond reason. All but 4 or 5 programs in America would kill to have the record we have. It's that you want to compare to those 4 or 5 programs as the only measure of "being good".
Good and great are two different things.

So we were actually top 20 56% of the time yet you only expected it 26% ((5.5+5.5)/43) of the time.

I would argue this is more evidence America continues to fall behind in Maths
I would argue we are falling behind in critical thinking skills as well seeing results are independent of expectations. Your number shows results, I’m talking about expectations.

Well, you know, not every solid college PF is going to be the next 3 point shooting wing player.

It's just like how all the big guys want to play point guard when they are kids, and all the short kids want to know what it's like to play in the low post.

That's "Guerrier-Itis" - kids wanting to play out of position to try to prove a point.

It's not team oriented. It's selfish. That's why I'm glad he left, frankly. Because he wouldn't have played the role we wanted him to play. He wanted to be a 3, when he's a 4.

You misunderstand me. What I meant is that a real or potential starting spot will not necessarily keep a player here, hence Guerrier-itis. If Williams thinks that he's better served going elsewhere to become a pro, he'll do that. We have not done a good job convincing the players on our roster that we can develop and utilize them in such a way as to maximize their pro potential. This is why we have endless depth issues.

You misunderstand me. What I meant is that a real or potential starting spot will not necessarily keep a player here, hence Guerrier-itis. If Williams thinks that he's better served going elsewhere to become a pro, he'll do that. We have not done a good job convincing the players on our roster that we can develop and utilize them in such a way as to maximize their pro potential. This is why we have endless depth issues.

Well, that's a case of recency bias. We just had a very nice string of 1st round picks end a couple years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom