Benny...... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Benny......

Benny starts putting together a solid game. Building his confidence. Any good coach would recognize that and not stifle that growth over something as meaningless as that. He wouldn’t have done that to probably any other player.

Right. It seems to me that Jim would be best served picking his battles with Benny. Coach him up, instruct him what and what not to do, but he doesn’t need to yell at him over everything. The kid’s just starting to occasionally flash some confidence, don’t extinguish his flame over something that wasn’t even called.

Right. It seems to me that Jim would be best served picking his battles with Benny. Coach him up, instruct him what and what not to do, but he doesn’t need to yell at him over everything. The kid’s just starting to occasionally flash some confidence, don’t extinguish his flame over something that wasn’t even called.
That’s all I’m saying. If he wants to do it at that moment, build him up before telling him not to hold on the rim too long.

I think Benny is the kind of player you have to stay on all the time. Good for JB to coach him up. I think JB gets on him because he is physically gifted and has a high ceiling. There were a couple times that shots went up and he made no attempt to go to the offensive boards. He gave Akok an offensive rebound late in the game when he had inside position and JB spoke to him about it. Those are the kinds of plays that cost you close games. There’s no reason anyone should ever go over Benny for a rebound. Benny needs a “want to“ attitude when he plays and not just wait for something to happen. He’s physically gifted and has to use that to his advantage.

I think Benny is the kind of player you have to stay on all the time. Good for JB to coach him up. I think JB gets on him because he is physically gifted and has a high ceiling. There were a couple times that shots went up and he made no attempt to go to the offensive boards. He gave Akok an offensive rebound late in the game when he had inside position and JB spoke to him about it. Those are the kinds of plays that cost you close games. There’s no reason anyone should ever go over Benny for a rebound. Benny needs a “want to“ attitude when he plays and not just wait for something to happen. He’s physically gifted and has to use that to his advantage.
Don’t always agree w/ JB’s methods, and this moment was no exception, but to be fair it seems Benny’s motor is not always running at 100.
He loses focus sometimes and tends to drift. JB sees it more than we do, and that’s probably why he’s riding him. Hell he’s probably tried everything else & it hasn’t worked, so….

Benny’s game needs to be in and around the paint as a slasher and rebounder, with the occasional jumper.
One thing I read about Benny is that he was only 5’9” as a freshman in HS. Somehow he is still making the adjustment to his body and court positioning. If and when he finds it, I am betting he will take off like a rocket. Praying for patience in the meantime…

Benny was hanging on the rim while the rest of the team was getting back on D. If G town didn’t call a timeout they would’ve had a 5-4 situation down the court. The game was over at that point but there’s a reason Boeheim got on him and he’s right

That’s all I’m saying. If he wants to do it at that moment, build him up before telling him not to hold on the rim too long.
The issue with all the arm chair psychologists is none of you have any idea what has gone before. (Assuming, which is a big assumption without basis other than timing) that the issue was hanging on the rim, JB might have been talking to him about that vey thing everyday in practice.

Benny Williams had a nice game and is continuing to progress for a first time starter. He is 4th in scoring (to be expected) 2nd in Rebounding (wish a few reb/game higher). This is what we expected and hoped for last season. Now, we are getting it and we will see progress as we move into the season and see much better competition. However, he will have more experience playing at this high level and should improve. He needs game day experience. He is getting it and slowly adjusting. (For comparison Tyler Roberson averaged 8.3 PPG and 7.3RPG in his sophomore season.==> These numbers at year end would be fantastic from Benny)

Go CUSE

1670857687340.png

The more I watch Benny the more he reminds me of a young Dajuan Coleman in his mental approach to the game. He has all the talent in the world but it's laborious for him to not get sped him and control his emotions. He is getting better for sure. He still however has mental lapses and seems to forget he is 6-10 when he is in the paint. He also loses focus at times on his jumper and it messes with his form.

In the 2H vs Gtown he did what you need a hybrid 4/3 which is to cut into the paint, present a target in the block playing off Jesse and Judah and attacking when there is space vs just defaulting to the jump shot. He already is a good passer but must organize himself better on his shot to be able to hit those at a 50 pct clip ( give or take a little) and to get better feel for when to shoot.

On defense he has to stay down and be more efficient. He should watch how JBA plays the wing more. It's hard to see the light go on completely this year and if it does it likely won't be till February.

Benny Williams had a nice game and is continuing to progress for a first time starter. He is 4th in scoring (to be expected) 2nd in Rebounding (wish a few reb/game higher). This is what we expected and hoped for last season. Now, we are getting it and we will see progress as we move into the season and see much better competition. However, he will have more experience playing at this high level and should improve. He needs game day experience. He is getting it and slowly adjusting. (For comparison Tyler Roberson averaged 8.3 PPG and 7.3RPG in his sophomore season.==> These numbers at year end would be fantastic from Benny)

Go CUSE

View attachment 223044

I agree that we are starting to see signs of life from Benny. Which is great. Totally fine if a high ranked kid needs more time than some others.

But he is not an efficient player, overall, this year. And by that, I mean he's bad in terms of efficiency over the course of the year.

His shooting %s have to keep getting better for anyone, let alone his position.

He has serious work to do to be consistently good for him to be earning as many minutes as he does.

Fingers crossed.

Really great game. So happy for him. You can tell he’s beloved by the team too. He’s getting his confidence going and doing things on both ends. Rebounding on both ends. Playing great d. And they’re designing plays for him. Love seeing him do well.

Benny took (and made) two…”no no no no……nice shot” 3’s today.

But it seemed it was that big get defensive rebound late in the first half that got him going.

All he needs to do is hit face up 10-12 footers and he’s going to help. We are going to see zone this year, and I like him as the guy at the ft line to beat it. He’s a good enough shooter (I think) and definitely a good enough passer.

He just needs his motor running every night. That long ride on the pine in the first half was a good move by JB.

Okay so what the heck is going on with Benny today? He is playing great and doesn’t look like the same player that we have watched for 1 1/2 years. His confidence seems through the roof. Lovin it!
Mr. Inconsistent

Really hope JB acknowledges it in the post game. Kid seems to handle the constructive feedback JB gives him now some positive reinforcement would be nice.

Dont have my hopes up but would be nice

Mr. Inconsistent
My previous comment wasn't meant to be negative, but it could be interpreted as that so I’ll clarify.

I feel like Benny is a year behind the schedule that (I assume) most fans assumed he was on. This year, as a sophomore, he’s playing like you’d expect a high-upside freshman to play: inconsistent. This is an improvement over his true freshman year last year, which was ineffective. At this point I’m taking the good with the bad from him this year while expecting a big year next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom