Benny...... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny......

Benny’s weak side defense and rebounding hadn’t been there all year. If he can step up in ACC play that would huge. 2 of his 3 blocks were help from the weak side.

Saw lots to like from him today. Just needs to be more consistently engaged.

Just listened to the press conference, he called Benny the best player in practice and the best forward
Welsh and the other announcer said during the game that the coaching staff told them that exact thing: That Benny is really good in practice but struggling a bit to translate that to game day.

Last edited:
Welsh and the other announcer said during the game that the coaching staff told that them that exact thing: That Benny is really good in practice but struggling a bit to translate that to game day.
I also think his teammates know it too and it’s why they’re pumping him up. Hopefully the confidence from practice continues to translate into game action.

What I’m seeing from Benny now on his shots is the confidence he’s more athletic and jumping higher than his defender. No need to fade away, just shoot it at the top of your stroke. that makes all the difference
I agree. His shot is a bit flat but it goes in. That is the point of the game...put the ball in the basket. Love how it seems to be coming together for him. Need to see a few more games before we can say he has full confidence but he is definitely progressing.

Tyler Roberson all over again.

When Benny plays with confidence, yesterday is a glimpse of what he can do.

Loved “plugged in” Robey, but -

He was a 4 who thought he was a 3, and literally couldn’t dribble-drive without it being a travel, or hit a J.

Benny had more O outside the paint in the BC game, than Roberson had in his entire Orange career.

In Robey’s defense, Benny has a long way to go to match his tenacity on the boards.
(For those games when he was “plugged in”)

Benny has the requisite size and athleticism to get there though.
And a dramatically higher upside on O.

Here’s hoping he can replicate and build on his BC efforts.

The issue with Benny has been confidence. No shocker there. He does need to get stronger too. The most encouraging sign to me was when he had a defender called for a block. He has had players stuffing his drive without establishing defensive position. The main thing he had/has to do is attack the shoulder the way Judah does. Players who can’t really stop him have been stopping him because he doesn’t push contact and turns and shoots fadeaways. His shooting is improved and for a player with a short leash historically, he is popping threes. Boeheim is obviously good with that. I hope and suspect we have a young man on the verge of blowing up.

Benny is the Energizer Bunny. When he calms down, he will be a great one. Playing with Mintz and Edwards helps him in that he does not have the pressure they have and he is improved over last year.

The issue with Benny has been confidence. No shocker there. He does need to get stronger too. The most encouraging sign to me was when he had a defender called for a block. He has had players stuffing his drive without establishing defensive position. The main thing he had/has to do is attack the shoulder the way Judah does. Players who can’t really stop him have been stopping him because he doesn’t push contact and turns and shoots fadeaways. His shooting is improved and for a player with a short leash historically, he is popping threes. Boeheim is obviously good with that. I hope and suspect we have a young man on the verge of blowing up.
Wouldn’t that be nice? <sigh>

Jimmy cant help himself
I really think this is it. I mean everyone was pumped up and congratulating Benny expect one person - the head coach who is very critical of his play and effort. Finally, he shows Jim what he's been asking, and instead of a pat on the back, coach finds something else to be critical about.

I really think this is it. I mean everyone was pumped up and congratulating Benny expect one person - the head coach who is very critical of his play and effort. Finally, he shows Jim what he's been asking, and instead of a pat on the back, coach finds something else to be critical about.
eh he said in the presser benny is the best forward andhe's sticking with him...that's as much an endorsement as a player could hope for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom