Better Call Saul | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Better Call Saul

Only saw this thread yesterday and wanted to wait until the finale before commenting.

Think it is and has been the best show since BB. In my mind rivaling it, though differently. Deeper psychologically in many ways and from character development perspective. Acting and writing are superb all around.

There was no way they were killing off Lalo - let alone Kim - so the failed hit was a bit predictable. As was Lalo hesitating before leaving the trap door open - was immediately clear why. Still a great sequence though.

But the real kicker is that it is Kim, who shockingly appears to be breaking bad when everyone is expecting it from Jimmy. Unless she’s conning him, of course.

Quite a setup for the final season. Too bad we’ll have to wait a long time. And now even longer ...

Last edited:
Only saw this thread yesterday and wanted to wait until the finale before commenting.

Think it is and has been the best show since BB. In my mind rivaling it, though differently. Deeper psychologically in many ways and from character development perspective. Acting and writing are superb all around.

There was no way they were killing off Lalo - let alone Kim - so the failed hit was a bit predictable. As was Lalo hesitating before leaving the trap door open - was immediately clear why. Still a great sequence though.

But the real kicker is that it is Kim, who shockingly appears to be breaking bad when everyone is expecting it from Jimmy. Unless she’s conning him, of course.

Quite a setup for the final season. Too bad we’ll have to wait a long time. And now even longer ...
Yes. It’s going to be a while before they are able to film the final 13 episodes. I was reading that they are going to have to wait in line for shows that were already in production when the shut down came to finish up before they can get back to filming. I’m a little worried about some of the older characters (Mike and Hector) making it until then. They already lost Ed the Disappearer (Robert Forster)

Yes. It’s going to be a while before they are able to film the final 13 episodes. I was reading that they are going to have to wait in line for shows that were already in production when the shut down came to finish up before they can get back to filming. I’m a little worried about some of the older characters (Mike and Hector) making it until then. They already lost Ed the Disappearer (Robert Forster)

Yeah, I had the same thought about Mike.

That would absolutely crush the show.

Lalo and Kim made the season .. mikes heroics are a bit much ... I could beat the dude down with one arm .. he’s a slightly thinner wilford Brimley

lalo is so fun...despite being a scumbag murdering drug lord, he’s an excellent chef , enjoys the finer things (Louis trece) and is funny / ebullient... the showmanship when he gifted Manolo the car...

Lalo and Kim made the season .. mikes heroics are a bit much ... I could beat the dude down with one arm .. he’s a slightly thinner wilford Brimley

lalo is so fun...despite being a scumbag murdering drug lord, he’s an excellent chef , enjoys the finer things (Louis trece) and is funny / ebullient... the showmanship when he gifted Manolo the car...
8dpj7j7k76u41.gif

Read a great article after episode 5, with the tense interrogation that Lalo gave Saul, only to be deterred by Kim.

The author suggested that Saul and Lalo are very similar -- that they are both smart, charming, disarming, and likable, and both are adept at using their personalities to get others to do what they want -- and that the only real difference comes down to what's underneath.

Whereas Jimmy's huckstering is always for the purposes of a self-aggrandizing con, he is generally harmless beyond that. Conversely, Lalo is sinister and malevolent -- and that his friendly, funny, happy go lucky demeanor makes him an even more frightening character than even a Cartel thug would seem to be on paper, because it is impossible to predict what he is going to do, or what his behavior will be. Indeed -- it seems like Nacho is really thrown off-guard by Lalo's inconsistent chuminess.

It was an interesting take.

Regardless -- the actor portraying Lalo has made him really compelling. I can only imagine how dangerous he's going to be now after what transpired last episode.

Fully agree. The constantly menacing smile and laugh are excellent.

Thanks. Breaking Bad it is!

We did it! Just finished binge-watching Breaking Bad. I've even ordered a Vamonos Pest (Licensed & Bonded in Albuquerque, NM) T-shirt in that garish green and yellow.

We'll probably do Better Call Saul, especially b/c Mike Ehrmantraut is on it. We've previewed his 'security videos'. I've read some interviews with Jonathan Banks, who plays Mike, and it's clear that he's had the time of his life doing these shows.

We did it! Just finished binge-watching Breaking Bad. I've even ordered a Vamonos Pest (Licensed & Bonded in Albuquerque, NM) T-shirt in that garish green and yellow.

We'll probably do Better Call Saul, especially b/c Mike Ehrmantraut is on it. We've previewed his 'security videos'. I've read some interviews with Jonathan Banks, who plays Mike, and it's clear that he's had the time of his life doing these shows.
D2494629-12F9-4F96-A011-BA8C51C04E38.jpeg

So I've been binge watching Breaking Bad during quarantine (haven't seen it before) and can I just say...

the show lost a little bit of luster for me after Gus was killed at the end of season 4. I'm about halfway through the final season right now, and it's still been really good, but man I miss the calm, calculated evil that was Gus Fring.

So I've been binge watching Breaking Bad during quarantine (haven't seen it before) and can I just say...

the show lost a little bit of luster for me after Gus was killed at the end of season 4. I'm about halfway through the final season right now, and it's still been really good, but man I miss the calm, calculated evil that was Gus Fring.
The last season suffered because I don’t think the writers did a good job having a post-Gus Fringe adversary for Walter White.

The last season suffered because I don’t think the writers did a good job having a post-Gus Fringe adversary for Walter White.

Yeah that's the sense I've gotten so far.

Maybe the first half.

But the stretch run of the second half was intense. (Don’t want to spoil anything if he hasn’t gotten that far yet).

Yeah Breaking Bad kind of slowing down in the final season is an interesting take. I think a lot of shows kind of limp to the finish line and get a lot weaker at the end, but I thought the final season was an absolute killer. Maybe not quite as good as some of the earlier seasons, but depending on the day, I could probably be convinced it was the best season.

spoiler alert: highlight between the *s if you want to read my take in the finale:
*i am still of the opinion that the real final episode was "granite state." walt froze to death trying to start that car, and "felina" was the dream he had while dying*

Yeah Breaking Bad kind of slowing down in the final season is an interesting take. I think a lot of shows kind of limp to the finish line and get a lot weaker at the end, but I thought the final season was an absolute killer. Maybe not quite as good as some of the earlier seasons, but depending on the day, I could probably be convinced it was the best season.

I don't necessarily think that it's slowing down, just that the dynamic has changed pretty drastically.

I've got 4 more episodes to go, so I'm almost to the end!

I don't necessarily think that it's slowing down, just that the dynamic has changed pretty drastically.

I've got 4 more episodes to go, so I'm almost to the end!

It's all good, you'v watched it more recently than me, you might be right!

I wish I could watch BB again and somehow wipe all memory of it form my brain beforehand. Such a great show. And to keep things on topic, BCS is fantastic as well

First half of the final season Walt burns out reaches the finish line and walks away. Second half he pays the price then comes to terms with himself and what he had done. Amazing to think that the second half leading up to the last 2 episodes takes place in about a weeks time (Hank’s surprise to Hank’s demise) Also look for the pants from episode one when Walt’s rolling his barrel out in the desert.

Last edited:

I don't believe that it measured up to previous seasons, so I have difficulty aligning with "absolute killer."

But I also think that the season suffered by being broken into two shorter seasons, to extend the run. I think that might have messed with the flow, instead of it just being one slightly shorter season that was fully tightened.

And overall, Breaking Bad's "B" game was exponentially better than most shows on their best day.

I don't believe that it measured up to previous seasons, so I have difficulty aligning with "absolute killer."

But I also think that the season suffered by being broken into two shorter seasons, to extend the run. I think that might have messed with the flow, instead of it just being one slightly shorter season that was fully tightened.

And overall, Breaking Bad's "B" game was exponentially better than most shows on their best day.

Man now you guys are gonna make me go back and watch it all again.

I'm not saying it was the best season. I just thought it was great. (and ozymandias might be the best episode of the series)

I think my favorite part of any episode of the series is the last few minutes of ha;f measures, where Mike tells Walt the storty about the guy who ended up killing his wife, and then Walt coming to Jesse's aid and saying "run". GOo that was so good

Man now you guys are gonna make me go back and watch it all again.

I'm not saying it was the best season. I just thought it was great. (and ozymandias might be the best episode of the series)

Agreed, 5B was great all the way through.

The tension and conflict that was there once Hank confronted Walt, and then with Jesse replaced the need for a super villain like Gus.

If I had to rank the seasons:
5B
5A

Agreed, 5B was great all the way through.

The tension and conflict that was there once Hank confronted Walt, and then with Jesse replaced the need for a super villain like Gus.

If I had to rank the seasons:
5B
5A

I love the end of season 3 (that's the one with the half measure episode I mentioned before) but I do agree 4 probably has to be ahead of it.

Fwiw, I didn't get into the show until late, so I binged everything until season 5B, and then watched that as it happened. Not sure if that biases me in any way.

I love in the first episode of 5b, right after Hank basically finds out who Walt really is, you almost think they're going to spend at least a few episodes, if not most of the season around the cat and mouse game between Walt and Hank, and instead, nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom