Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

Houston and Cincy in. Rejectees form Beggars Conference. Will work for food.

Should take Houston, UCF/or USF, and CIncy

Women's Hoops team would go indy. The rest of the program will drop to FCS and join the Patriot League.
If they do go back to D-1AA, they'd be much better off in the Colonial which has a higher level of competition. Plus it has some members of the old Yankee Conference.

If they do go back to D-1AA, they'd be much better off in the Colonial which has a higher level of competition. Plus it has some members of the old Yankee Conference.
Would any league accept their football program without their basketball programs?

Does A-10 have football?

I'm writing up UB's pitch as we speak

fact is if Buffalo had followed through on the NY rebrand and poured resources into building FB and BB teams that could dominate the MAC for the next 5-7 years, they actually would be attractive to the B1G in the next go around. Public contiguous "flagship" of NY with a high profile game or two per year played in the meadowlands.

of course they didn't, but it would be kinda funny to see the heads exploding in Storrs if the Buff made the B1G time while they were still stuck in purgatory

fact is if Buffalo had followed through on the NY rebrand and poured resources into building FB and BB teams that could dominate the MAC for the next 5-7 years, they actually would be attractive to the B1G in the next go around. Public contiguous "flagship" of NY with a high profile game or two per year played in the meadowlands.

of course they didn't, but it would be kinda funny to see the heads exploding in Storrs if the Buff made the B1G time while they were still stuck in purgatory

UB could be growing, potentially into a regional basketball power. Still made the tournament this year despite a coaching change and losing multiple leading scorers to transfers and suspensions/expulsions. They got a good thing going for them. Time to fix football and baseball. Bring in hockey.

UB could be growing, potentially into a regional basketball power. Still made the tournament this year despite a coaching change and losing multiple leading scorers to transfers and suspensions/expulsions. They got a good thing going for them. Time to fix football and baseball. Bring in hockey.

agreed, but giving up on the rebrand was a mistake. he may have had many flaws but doc gross's #brand had merit

if you build it, they won't come, especially because its Buffalo. creating the image as the flagship of NY is tough, but not impossible. you only have 1 statewide rival for the big time (albeit one that will crush you like a bug cuz we good like that). they would also need to build themselves up as a premier in-state academic destination. they would also have to undertake a massive image campaign around the state, in NYC and also Buffalo's Canadian suburbs up through Ontario. it would be daunting and would take the better part of a decade at least, but they have the time and it is doable

agreed, but giving up on the rebrand was a mistake. he may have had many flaws but doc gross's #brand had merit

if you build it, they won't come, especially because its Buffalo. creating the image as the flagship of NY is tough, but not impossible. you only have 1 statewide rival for the big time (albeit one that will crush you like a bug cuz we good like that). they would also need to build themselves up as a premier in-state academic destination. they would also have to undertake a massive image campaign around the state, in NYC and also Buffalo's Canadian suburbs up through Ontario. it would be daunting and would take the better part of a decade at least, but they have the time and it is doable
What is UB 2020? - UB 2020: University at Buffalo's strategic plan - University at Buffalo
Niagara RIver Greenway Commission
Queen City Hub - A Regional Action Plan for Downtown -- City of Buffalo

UB2020 is building UB into a regional academic/research destination. The new medical campus paired with the already great engineering, pharmacy, business and other programs are strengthening an already solid academic base.

What's even better is the initiative is pouring money into the athletic programs as well with sizable renovations coming to the football stadium among others.

Paired with the Queen City Hub and Niagara Greenway initiative, I think you will all start to see a very different UB and City of Buffalo within the next 5 or so years.

Would any league accept their football program without their basketball programs?

Does A-10 have football?
D-1AA is a bit looser on membership. Because the A-10 doesn't have football, Richmond plays in the Colonial. The {put the appropriate # of "New" here} Big East doesn't have football, so G'Town plays in the Patriot League as does Fordham since their conference (MAAC?) doesn't either. UConn could try to do as Richmond does if they really do decide to go back to D-1AA.

On some sports, D-1A is looser on membership. Since the SEC and Big XII don't have soccer, Kentucky and USC-east play in C-USA and West Virginia plays in the MAC. Plus, Hopkins plays MLax and WLax in the B1G and is D-3 in all their other sports.

But that was never in the hands of UB to be New York's academic public flagship. Never. SUNY needs to approve that and they never have and likely never will.

As for NY state's collegiate athletic flagship program, that is and always will be SU.

Cheers,
Neil

What is UB 2020? - UB 2020: University at Buffalo's strategic plan - University at Buffalo
Niagara RIver Greenway Commission
Queen City Hub - A Regional Action Plan for Downtown -- City of Buffalo

UB2020 is building UB into a regional academic/research destination. The new medical campus paired with the already great engineering, pharmacy, business and other programs are strengthening an already solid academic base.

What's even better is the initiative is pouring money into the athletic programs as well with sizable renovations coming to the football stadium among others.

Paired with the Queen City Hub and Niagara Greenway initiative, I think you will all start to see a very different UB and City of Buffalo within the next 5 or so years.

Definitely need the stadium renovations. The setup is closer to a big high school stadium with the damn track going around the field.

D-1AA is a bit looser on membership. Because the A-10 doesn't have football, Richmond plays in the Colonial. The {put the appropriate # of "New" here} Big East doesn't have football, so G'Town plays in the Patriot League as does Fordham since their conference (MAAC?) doesn't either. UConn could try to do as Richmond does if they really do decide to go back to D-1AA.

On some sports, D-1A is looser on membership. Since the SEC and Big XII don't have soccer, Kentucky and USC-east play in C-USA and West Virginia plays in the MAC. Plus, Hopkins plays MLax and WLax in the B1G and is D-3 in all their other sports.
The SEC and Big XII don't have soccer? For real?

The SEC and Big XII don't have soccer? For real?

My googlefu came up with Kentucky and South Carolina with men's programs, both of which play in CUSA. Women have a full slate of SEC teams.

BIG12 does not sponsor men's soccer. The only team that plays is WVU, who plays in the MAC.

My googlefu came up with Kentucky and South Carolina with men's programs, both of which play in CUSA. Women have a full slate of SEC teams.

BIG12 does not sponsor men's soccer. The only team that plays is WVU, who plays in the MAC.
I find that so odd.

I find that so odd.
Agreed - soccer, (along with lacrosse) are only going to become more prominent - both in terms of TV content and national interest. Major demographic shift going on - with soccer a direct beneficiary. Particularly in the southern states. Very odd.

Agreed - soccer, (along with lacrosse) are only going to become more prominent - both in terms of TV content and national interest. Major demographic shift going on - with soccer a direct beneficiary. Particularly in the southern states. Very odd.

Title IX casualty, most likely. Keep in mind, both of these conferences have baseball, whereas SU does not because of Title IX.

I find that so odd.
Title IX plays a role. And "Commie Kickball" plays another.

Title IX casualty, most likely. Keep in mind, both of these conferences have baseball, whereas SU does not because of Title IX.
Yes. The SEC all added WSoccer for Title IX purposes.

If Buffalo ever lost the Bills...watch out...until then UB has been and will be our lil ed brother

No. This is incorrect. B1G is not going to expand with a non-P5 school no matter how well they're doing. Thinking UB could brand itself and play in the MAC into a B1G expansion target is pure fantasy. Can't believe that post was started with the words "fact is".

But that was never in the hands of UB to be New York's academic public flagship. Never. SUNY needs to approve that and they never have and likely never will.

As for NY state's collegiate athletic flagship program, that is and always will be SU.

Cheers,
Neil

I love good ol' fashioned message board crazy talk as much as the next guy, but yeah, the idea that (a) Buffalo could legitimately become NY State, (b) that millions of NYers would suddenly start rooting for a college that is hundreds of miles from the vast majority of population in the state (in a state where there is exactly zero tradition of supporting a state college), and (c) that because of A and B the Big Ten would invite them to join their conference, is utter lunacy.

I love good ol' fashioned message board crazy talk as much as the next guy, but yeah, the idea that (a) Buffalo could legitimately become NY State, (b) that millions of NYers would suddenly start rooting for a college that is hundreds of miles from the vast majority of population in the state (in a state where there is exactly zero tradition of supporting a state college), and (c) that because of A and B the Big Ten would invite them to join their conference, is utter lunacy.
You can add to your list that UB would be doing this on their dime (i.e.boosters) as the State does not fund athletics like most flagship universities receive (or used to receive); and the flagship universities have long traditions, boosters with very deep pockets, and enjoy donating to their respective team regardless of W/L totals.

Not slamming UB, just stating a few obvious issues that cannot be overcome in a relatively short period of time.

You can add to your list that UB would be doing this on their dime (i.e.boosters) as the State does not fund athletics like most flagship universities receive (or used to receive); and the flagship universities have long traditions, boosters with very deep pockets, and enjoy donating to their respective team regardless of W/L totals.

Not slamming UB, just stating a few obvious issues that cannot be overcome ever.
Corrected

it would obviously be a long shot for the Bulls to pull off, for all the reasons above and more. that said, nothing is impossible including Rutgers having a competent athletic dept. very very highly improbable but not impossible.

I get that its a loooong way from where NY counts, but so are we. I have exactly 0.0 rooting interest for the bulls. I know a few people who went there, but many more who stayed in-state at albany and bing (if they didn't go to a private). when I was looking at colleges, buffalo never ever crossed my mind.

brands can be built, so can winning culture. again, not easy by any means but doable. if UB had NIU's fb track record and a really good BB team (dont even know who would be considered a top MAC bb school) they might have some sports kevorka. I also fully understand they do not.

2 questions:

If there was a public flagship of NYS with competitive athletics and AAU status, would the B1G be interested?

Is there any SUNY school better poised to take a shot at becoming a state flagship than UB, esp athletically?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom