Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

I have it on good authority JB is coaching atleast 2 more years.
He needs to get off his a$$ for 2018 recruiting.
JB isn't retiring.

Yeah, can't see him going anywhere at this point...

That is not how this went down. Hop was still coach in waiting.

No. The booster never told my friend that Hop was not the coach-in-waiting. The booster said that, despite that agreement, Hopkins will not be the next coach. (The obvious implication being that the agreement was still binding but the booster heard that would change. And they have). I don't know whether it was Wildhack who changed things or maybe Hop wanted out. The booster is not a minor guy at all. He is very well known.

For your own sanity, please seek out meditation or yoga. The situation is not dire.
Recruiting is the lifeblood of any program.

Anyone who analyzes recruiting will tell you our situation over the past few years in addition to today's developments would begin to invoke the term "dire".

Maybe JB retools the staff and brings in stud recruiters and AAU connects but if we continue down the path we've been going...

We still have no answer for the "uncertainty" angle thrown at us over every stud recruit. In fact it's now worse.

The other poster was worried about practice.

If it makes you feel better, we'll have new assistants in place in a few weeks.

Assistants that know how to coach a zone, correct?

This should be interesting.

Because when JB leaves, Gerry probably has no job - the new guy would hire his own assistants. He would have had a job if Hop was the next HC.
But if JB isnt retiring anytime soon...

Our probation is basically over at this point. By the time anyone comes in we will be back to full strength. I don't disagree with your other points but you never know.
We still have 2 more years of probation and scholarships reduction.
Negotiation 101 any good coach would use probation to get a longer contract and more money.
Let JB keep us medicore and then get a national search in 2 years.

But if JB isnt retiring anytime soon...
JB will gone at SOME point though - and so would GMac, unless he got the HC job. In all likelihood, Gerry will stay at UW as long as Hopkins is there, he's way safer

Everyone remain calm. Pretty soon there will be a Rutgers message board with a "Syracuse Dumpster Fire" thread.
We kind of are.

Not in the Rutgers sense but when compared to our peer schools.

We have a HC who can't hang em up. Our HC in waiting bounced. We've been recruiting like we're Virginia Tech and are a perennial bubble team.

I have it on good authority JB is coaching atleast 2 more years.
He needs to get off his a$$ for 2018 recruiting.
JB isn't retiring.
Not happening
th

I think Wildhack was the wild card that was inserted into the deck.

If Wildhack was concerned about whether Hopkins was going to be able to cut the mustard at SU, then he probavbly could have influenced this.

How things played out explain JB's hedging on his retirement date. He kept saying that things could change. If he knew Wildhack was concerned about Hopkins and he knew that Hopkins was looking at other schools, his comments now seem judicious not evasive.

I don't look at this as a good thing.
If thought Hop was the real deal it's a bad deal.
If thought Hop was a gamble it's not a bad thing at all.

I don't think JB-Hop was going to be a smooth transition so I am okay.
As long as JB gets involved in recruiting now. He needs to step up.

If Hop takes GMac as well I am really glad because it forces brings 2 new coaches who can help recruiting.

We need energy in recruiting.

Not happening
th
JB isn't retiring now. He needs to step up his recruiting presense though.

He isn't going to screw over the program now. Hop just gave JB atleast another year to coach.

JB will gone at SOME point though - and so would GMac, unless he got the HC job. In all likelihood, Gerry will stay at UW as long as Hopkins is there, he's way safer
But there lies the problem. How can you keep Boeheim around then? I Gmac won't stay at Cuse because he could be a sitting duck what assistant coach is going to come here?

If thought Hop was the real deal it's a bad deal.
If thought Hop was a gamble it's not a bad thing at all.

I don't think JB-Hop was going to be a smooth transition so I am okay.
As long as JB gets involved in recruiting now. He needs to step up.

If Hop takes GMac as well I am really glad because it forces brings 2 new coaches who can help recruiting.

We need energy in recruiting.
What makes you think JB is going to step it up? He's been in CEO mode for a decade now. He's going to magically find a bunch of stud recruiters who want to work for him for anywhere from 1-5 years because nobody has any clue what is going on.

I hope he does find them but I'm not sold at all right now.

I think Wildhack was the wild card that was inserted into the deck.

If Wildhack was concerned about whether Hopkins was going to be able to cut the mustard at SU, then he probavbly could have influenced this.

How things played out explain JB's hedging on his retirement date. He kept saying that things could change. If he knew Wildhack was concerned about Hopkins and he knew that Hopkins was looking at other schools, his comments now seem judicious not evasive.
It seems if Syracuse (meaning Wildhack) really wanted Hop to be the next head coach that he would still be here. They would find additional money to offset what UW is paying him. It unfortunate but good for Hop.

Then why in the hell would Gerry leave?
GMac and Autry would be in a bad spot if Jimmy leaves after next season and the AD goes outside for a new HC. He would want to bring in his own staff and they would be out of a job.

What makes you think JB is going to step it up? He's been in CEO mode for a decade now. He's going to magically find a bunch of stud recruiters who want to work for him for anywhere from 1-5 years because nobody has any clue what is going on.
JB is stubborn but he isn't an idiot.

He can analyze the situation and say I need to do more now if I am staying. I can be lazy when I know I am going to be gone. This either forces JB to spend more time recruiting or he will be coaching 10-21 teams.

I don't see JB as a moron. So he will hire great recruiters and bring more energy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom