Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

Congrats to Hop and his family. Gets to finally be the head man and is going to make at least 2-3 million a year at a great university. Do not blame him. This is great news for Syracuse, hopefully Boeheim sticks to his 1 more year and we open a national search and get a great candidate who is fully qualified. Thank Boeheim for making this job such an attractive spot and build a damn statue of him for all I care. But it's definitely time for him to go and someone new to be coaching this program. I trust Wildhack to make a great hire and please Wildhack, focus on a coach who understands the PnR offensively and defensively.

You truly think you know the game better than Boeheim. LMAO.

My biggest concern is still the ambiguity as it pertains to JB. There needs to be a very clear public announcement if JB is going to be the head coach beyond next year. If not, an announcement should be made that with Hopkins no longer in the fold, we are committed to search for a suitable successor. This cannot be a situation where we have our recruits being left in the dark as to whom they will be playing for.

JB's "I've always coached year-to-year" is really hurting our recruiting. It was funny when it was a wink-wink and we knew he'd be back. Now, it's a big problem. We need a new assistant coach, who is a proven recruiting beast. I'd prefer one who has a specialty at coaching bigs. I have to assume we will know whether JB is coaching beyond next year (anyone who is hired would want to know that). This situation is really sticky. The new guy needs to know if he's recruiting guys who will play for JB in '18-19. We won't get one '18 signee if we don't know who our head coach will be.

If the only criteria are being a smart and successful coach with a solid basketball pedigree and recruiting connections ...one possible place to look for the future is Dan Hurley. And he's already experienced Buffalo.

We've played Calvary and Bellevue a few times together.
Lakeshore had them as members when they first started golf. The guys say hopkins was an absolute blast to be around. Life of the party.

If the only criteria are being a smart and successful coach with a solid basketball pedigree and recruiting connections ...one possible place to look for the future is Dan Hurley. And he's already experienced Buffalo.

Did he assist under his brother?

Thamels lost it, he must still be really torqued.

I love this beauty

"Following Boeheim and living in central New York aren’t huge draws for hot young coaches. Would an established coach like Dayton’s Archie Miller or Xavier’s Chris Mack leave the comforts of their current jobs for Syracuse? Probably not."

ThiS is just laughable

Chris Mack is an interesting name... he runs a zone at Xavier. And seeing as our recruits expect to play zone he could ease the transition if we hire someone out of program.

I wouldnt be a big fan of getting him but itll be an easier transition than a coach who would make us man to man

Chris Mack is an interesting name... he runs a zone at Xavier. And seeing as our recruits expect to play zone he could ease the transition if we hire someone out of program.

I wouldnt be a big fan of getting him but itll be an easier transition than a coach who would make us man to man

Seems like an excellent coach. Xavier is his alma mater. We might need to show him the $$$.

If SU was smart they would announce JB retiring ASAP. We could have a new coach in place in a month and not lose a year of recruiting. I want no part of JB for another 3-5 years. We have been nothing but mediocre for the past three years and he won't change the way he plays or coaches. I have nothing but respect for the man, but it's time to go. I know this isn't going to be received well, but I'm tired of watching poor fundamental basketball and slow motion games. SU no longer controls the pace of games and there are certain teams we just can't beat on a consistent basis. We haven't even sniffed being in the top 3 in the ACC. We have been in the back half of the middles of the conference and I'm tired of being on the bubble.

My biggest concern is still the ambiguity as it pertains to JB. There needs to be a very clear public announcement if JB is going to be the head coach beyond next year. If not, an announcement should be made that with Hopkins no longer in the fold, we are committed to search for a suitable successor. This cannot be a situation where we have our recruits being left in the dark as to whom they will be playing for.

JB's "I've always coached year-to-year" is really hurting our recruiting. It was funny when it was a wink-wink and we knew he'd be back. Now, it's a big problem. We need a new assistant coach, who is a proven recruiting beast. I'd prefer one who has a specialty at coaching bigs. I have to assume we will know whether JB is coaching beyond next year (anyone who is hired would want to know that). This situation is really sticky. The new guy needs to know if he's recruiting guys who will play for JB in '18-19. We won't get one '18 signee if we don't know who our head coach will be.
But just think of all the cool, redundant threads we can have on this topic.

List of coaches that need to be interviewed in order the second next year ends: 1) Randy Bennett 2) Greg Marshall 3) Scott Cross 4) Chris Mack 5) Archie Miller

List of coaches that need to be interviewed in order the second next year ends: 1) Randy Bennett 2) Greg Marshall 3) Scott Cross 4) Chris Mack 5) Archie Miller
And there you have it. Hope Wildhack reads this board.

And there you have it. Hope Wildhack reads this board.
giphy.gif

That's Bobby who coached at Buffalo. I would steer clear of both of the Hurley brothers. They're both lunatics. Danny is a very underwhelming coach, he recruits very well, but gets outcoached in the A-10 a lot. Bobby is the exact same way.

If Cuse looks outside of the program, Archie Miller would be a good option, he's great with alums and is a hell of a coach.

Two coaches to keep an eye on over the next few years if they get head coaching gigs:

Baker Dunleavy
Jay Larranaga

Thamel, of course, takes a jab at Central New York and says it's unlikely a coach from Dayton or Xavier would come to Syracuse.

Yeah, okay, Pete.
Something else in his article that I found interesting was while describing the UW job , he talked about the "fertile recruiting ground inSeattle". I'm sure some nice players are from the area but it's not exactly the northeast. He's just a perplexing writer.

I believe that Hopkins was the next coach nothing changed there. JB is not ready to leave so Hopkins had an opportunity and took it. Expect to see Boeheim coaching beyond next year. I think looking for a coach with proven success is a good thing. Boeheim staying for another three years or so time will tell if that is a positive.

So who do we replace Hop with? I see 2 main priorities:

1a - Hire a great recuiter.

1b - Hire someone successful with developing the forward/center position.

Whats more important?

Something else in his article that I found interesting was while describing the UW job , he talked about the "fertile recruiting ground inSeattle". I'm sure some nice players are from the area but it's not exactly the northeast. He's just a perplexing writer.

Seattle is legit. there are like 20 current NBA players from Washington.

It's such a fertile recruiting area that Washington is rarely any good in basketball.

So who do we replace Hop with? I see 2 main priorities:

1a - Hire a great recuiter.

1b - Hire someone successful with developing the forward/center position.

Whats more important?

The hire will say plenty.

GMac staying would be disappointing. I was hoping we would get a clean break.
Hopkins not taking GMac means JB can just bump everyone up add Devo and not invest in a new recruiter.

I think anyone suggesting it's bad that gmac stays is not sane. He gave his heart and soul to Syracuse no matter what recruit he didn't get he's still gmac and his intensity and loyalty cannot be matched by an outsider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom