Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Big announcement at 1 pm today: Hop to Washington

With a 1 year lame duck HC and no successor, you guys realize 2018 class recruiting is dead right? No recruit is signing up to play for a TBD HC. This situation is not viable. What will AD do?
He isn't dumb soemthing will happen. That scenario won't play out.

With a 1 year lame duck HC and no successor, you guys realize 2018 class recruiting is dead right? No recruit is signing up to play for a TBD HC. This situation is not viable. What will AD do?

What's your plan? The shopping season for new head coaches for 2017-18 is just about over. And we are going to start a search?

You are right. Which means something will be done asap. The HCIW will be gone and replaced with a Jb is staying for another fill in the blank years. For whatever good that will do.

This is what I was trying to say earlier when being told to jump off the ledge.

Unless Battle plays 4 years and everybody ends up being much better than we are I have zero doubt we have some sub .500 teams in the near future.
The point is though that it won't go down like that. Wildhack is no dummy and Jimmy doesn't want to run Syracuse into the ground.

What's your plan? The shopping season for new head coaches for 2017-18 is just about over. And we are going to start a search?
We could go out and get a great head coach right now I promise you that.

i think it is pretty clear that Wildhack is jumping for joy. He gets to name his own guys.

Don't you think he would have preferred to have Hop slide in there?

It would have been a lot less painful than this search that we will have to embark on. Lot's of risk in that, including that Wildhack's choice might fail with his finger prints all over it.

Actually shopping season is just starting and usually peaks during the FF. But given that Wildhack has a good relationship with JB, the most likely scenario IMO is he gives JB a vote of confidence and a 3 year contract extension.

Don't you think he would have preferred to have Hop slide in there?

It would have been a lot less painful than this search that we will have to embark on. Lot's of risk in that, including that Wildhack's choice might fail with his finger prints all over it.
I think he wants to do what is best for Syracuse and if he doesn't believe that Hopkins is the answer he would prefer to pick his own.

We could go out and get a great head coach right now I promise you that.

OK.

Can you point out an instance where this has worked for a school?

Have you perhaps noticed that the new coachs for 2017-18 are being announced now? How long do you think it would take to go through the search and interview and hiring process? Three months? Six months?

I hope you're right. But I have serious concerns. I'm guessing next year is his last.

I suspect he will be around for at least a few more years. Its clear by those articles that came out that he's been telling someone I am not leaving at the end of this agreed upon plan. He always seemed luke warm at best and I think Hopkins leaving is the final nail in the 2018 last season for JB coffin. I suspect he will be here at minimum 2 more seasons probably 3-4 by the time he's done.

I think it was a lot less obvious there was a massive chasm between the two programs in 2004 than it is now. But if we are going to operate under the assumption that we can lure whoever then give me Greg Marshall all day.

OK.

Have you perhaps noticed that the new coachs for 2017-18 are being announced now? How long do you think it would take to go through the search and interview and hiring process? Three months? Six months?
Not even close. It's obvious who the good coaches are and Wildhack has tons of connections. I think we would have a laundry list of candidates reach out to us. I'm sure Wildhack already has a short list established. Why would it take 6 months?

"He wants to build a legacy, felt like the opportunity was special at Washington, and also wanted to make sure he did right by his mentor and father figure, Jim Boeheim," a source close to situation told Goodman.

Big factor IMO - I'm guessing he knew JB wanted to stay and Hop wasn't going to INSIST on taking over in 2018.

Last edited:
I think it was a lot less obvious there was a massive chasm between the two programs in 2004 than it is now. But if we are going to operate under the assumption that we can lure whoever then give me Greg Marshall all day.
Oh Lord

OK.

Also washington fired their head coach this week and hired Hopkins in the same week. So how long does it really take?

I'm not saying I know, obviously.

But I spent a career in large organizations and I do understand how they work.

Give me the flaws in this.

1. We were cruising along with Hopkins as the Associate Head Coach, the "Coach in Waiting". It was a done deal. The Succession Plan is in place.
2. Wildhack comes in.
3. JB starts equivocating.
4. Hopkins goes to UW.
Yup. Most people who've been exposed to new regimes at big organizations pretty much know that any previous succession agreements go out the window the day the new guy comes in.

I literally laugh at the fact everything Townie says is to defend JB and kinda root against the future because he wants to punish fans.
He is classic. Board legend.

I'm not rooting against the program even subtly.

But in change there is risk. It's not all upside. Impatience and imprudence are fraught with disaster.

You actually have it backwards, the SU program is what generates big crowds at the Dome. The crowds are the result and not the cause. They won't be able to resurrect the program if it nosedives because they won't exist. (see: NIT crowd size).

This is what I was trying to say earlier when being told to jump off the ledge.

Unless Battle plays 4 years and everybody ends up being much better than we are I have zero doubt we have some sub .500 teams in the near future.

Bwahaha

Also washington fired their head coach this week and hired Hopkins in the same week. So how long does it really take?

Do you think they had a meeting and decided to fire the coach and them brainstormed a replacement, contacted him and made an offer?

Bunch of worry warts. We'll be fine. Wildhack is a pro and it's likely a plan has been in place for a while. Now we know why Hop hasn't been the main recruiter this cycle.

Let it play out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom