Big Blow to the NCAA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big Blow to the NCAA

Worst case seems like they won't make the players accurate, but with the armies of people who edit the rosters (because EA does a pretty shitty job on them) the end game will be largely the same.
It will be a large hit to people acquiring the games though if ratings and stuff aren't accurate.. People don't like playing games with make believe teams. At least that's always been the allure for me.

I could see in the long run that for jerseys, etc., that players will get 10% of the school's royalties for the time that the player is a student. Those funds would be held in some kind of account payable when the player's eligibility expires. For post-eligibility jersey sales I would expect that percentage to increase a bit (20-25% ?). The former player may even ask for his name/jersey to be withdrawn from future production.

The video games get a bit trickier. If we just consider the starters, that's 24 players on 120 teams which is almost 3,000 players. Perhaps the players can get a licensing fee of 25% of the NCAA's share for that year's version of the game. Deposit a player's share (1/3,000th) into his jersey account and pay out when the player's eligibility expires. I'm sure the players will want a share of EA's profits instead. The question is... do people play the game for just the players? I suspect it's probably more a combination of the school (uniforms, stadium, etc.) along with some of the players. If the players received fees as indicated above it could allow EA to include actual player names directly with the game instead of requiring manual steps.

I like the idea with the jearsy sales. This could even out the talent as well. 4 and 5 stars would have to think about sitting behind another player and only getting one or two years of jearsy sales or go to a lesser name school and get 3 or 4 years of jearsy sales. Of course this would never happen because coaches like Nick Saben would cry foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom