Big East issues statement that it blew the X point call- | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East issues statement that it blew the X point call-

How about in the 4th quarter when Bailey runs like 8 yards on 2nd down and is a good half yard beyond the 1st down marker and they spot it back a yard and a half? We don't pick up the third and 1 and have to kick. There was zero doubt in my mind that he was well beyond the marker.

How about in the 4th quarter when Bailey runs like 8 yards on 2nd down and is a good half yard beyond the 1st down marker and they spot it back a yard and a half? We don't pick up the third and 1 and have to kick. There was zero doubt in my mind that he was well beyond the marker.
I forgot about that. I don't even think it was a half yard. That was probably a first down.

Watch how stupid some fans will be now (a few of ours and many others of opposing teams). They will say Toledo should have won 30-29. But, even without the extra point, we go up 29-27. How does anyone know if only ahead 2 instead of 3, that SU would have made the exact same defensive calls every single play and maybe Toledo doesn't even call every play the same. Coaches do a lot of things differently based on a 1-2 pt lead or 3 point lead or 4+ pt lead. But the idiots that don't understand football will say SU should have lost. I know of one fan-base for sure that will say that.

I don't see what difference it makes. They needed a field goal to win or to tie it and tkae it to overtime.

The referees didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Almost as bad as the calls were the endless discussions over them. it looked like the Republican debate.

did we miss the PAC 10 announcement about the dropped ball review last week?

Things like this happen. Last year, we were on the other end of a blown call against Marquette in the NCAA tourney. It happens and as much as it sucks, you have to move on. I hope Toledo fans understand this.

Watch how stupid some fans will be now (a few of ours and many others of opposing teams). They will say Toledo should have won 30-29. But, even without the extra point, we go up 29-27. How does anyone know if only ahead 2 instead of 3, that SU would have made the exact same defensive calls every single play and maybe Toledo doesn't even call every play the same. Coaches do a lot of things differently based on a 1-2 pt lead or 3 point lead or 4+ pt lead. But the idiots that don't understand football will say SU should have lost. I know of one fan-base for sure that will say that.
Bingo...It is one thing if that is the final play of the game (to either tie or win it). However, the time management, defensive play calls, etc. HAVE to be different if SU is up by two instead of three.

The commentary during CBS' post game show focusing on how Toledo lost solely due to this blown call was embarrassing. Interestingly, they did not reference the no call on the Lemon interference and how if that call was made, CLEARLY SU would have won by 40...or not...who knows ?

SUOrange44

I don't see what difference it makes. They needed a field goal to win or to tie it and tkae it to overtime.

Huge difference.

What is the difference? What do the two teams do differently if it's 2 points rather than 3?

if you're only down two then your FG wins the game.it's a whole different mindset for both sides.

What is the difference? What do the two teams do differently if it's 2 points rather than 3?

I'll do the easier side to explain and that is the defense. The mindset and the calls will be different when in one case (down 3) you know if you keep them out of the end zone, the worst you can do is got to OT. But when down 2, you have not keep them out of the end zone, but try to keep them from inside the 30 since a FG wins it. I'm willing to bet the D might be a bit more aggressive up only 2.

Does anyone know which conference the officials were from?
They made lots of bad calls, on each team.

these conferences almost never comment on a blown call, especially not to call out their own officials. its not like this game was nationally relevent or televised, or that anyone actually cares. the only reason to rush the statement is to draw attention to it tonight, because by tomorrow all anyone cares about is nfl.
If they call out their own officials they don't have to worry about them going to a better conference. The ACC won't want crappy officials!

In reviewing the video, we have determined that the angle from behind the kicking team shows conclusively that the ball passes outside the right upright.

If they were looking from behind the kicking team then the ball didn't go anywhere near the right upright ... quality BE officials there.

Bees, calm down. We scored less than our opponents did during regulation. Hold off the ad hominem attacks, saying that people who disagree with you are "stupid. . . idiots . . . that don't understand football" ought to embarrass any respectable moderator.

exactly, they were playing for a field goal either way. Is SWC a "stupid . . . .idiot. . . that doesn't understand football" Bees? ;)

It is pretty embarrassing how this has been handled by the Big East officiating powers that be.

It is quite possible that the XP was missed, and that the replay officials blew the call despite having multiple camera angles and the benefit of slow motion.

Then, in their zeal to condemn the botched call post-game, they claim in the press release that: "In reviewing the video, we have determined that the angle from behind the kicking team shows conclusively that the ball passes outside the right upright."

...when obviously it was the left goalpost in question. Pretty embarrassing public statement on the subject.

a cheap pat to get a win over toledo doesnt reverse the bullspit backcourt call on scoop in the tourny.

i want that one over turned.

I'm still waiting for justice from the Tennessee game in 1998.

up 2 i think SU plays somewhat different down the stretch as well..

Toledo could have played for the win right there. Pat Dye got filleted by SU fans for far less worse.

Bees, calm down. We scored less than our opponents did during regulation. Hold off the ad hominem attacks, saying that people who disagree with you are "stupid. . . idiots . . . that don't understand football" ought to embarrass any respectable moderator.

No, SWC isn't stupid, he asked a question. He didn't say we lost. The stupid ones are the ones that say we lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom