BJ Johnson | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

Do you have a guess as to whether he will play the top of the zone or the wing of the zone for Syracuse?

I would think that he would do both if he looked to play 2-3 positions depending on the personel on the floor at the time.

Big win for LaSalle tonight, Mr. Johnson!

Yes it was. They have gotten better over the years but they are still very inconsistent in their play. Hopefully, this win can get them to be more consistent against league play. I usually attend some games each year but since I've been riding the BJ/CUSE train, I have not gone to one game. Imay get to a game before it's over depending on our schedule.

I think it would be really good for BJJ to pay close attention to Jerami Grant this year and see just how effective and aggressive you can be without being big & physically imposing. It's not about size, its about will, and too many skinnier players make the mistake of using size as an excuse then play down to that expectation. Translates to all sports, really. Even football. Think if I had any advice for a player like BJ it would be that. He definitely has the talent to be a great player, but it takes more than talent. Really excited to see him grow as a person/player.

I think it would be really good for BJJ to pay close attention to Jerami Grant this year and see just how effective and aggressive you can be without being big & physically imposing. It's not about size, its about will, and too many skinnier players make the mistake of using size as an excuse then play down to that expectation. Translates to all sports, really. Even football. Think if I had any advice for a player like BJ it would be that. He definitely has the talent to be a great player, but it takes more than talent. Really excited to see him grow as a person/player.

It is not the size of the dog in the fight but size of the fight in the dog. I always tell BJ that he wants to be Kevin Garnett strong. LEAN AND MEAN!!!!:mad:

You mean Kevin Durant? Garnett is a beast!

No I mean Kevin Garnett Strong. Da Big Ticket was the Truth in his earlier days. Like I said LEAN AND MEAN. KD is not a bad choice. No body pushes KG around.

No I mean Kevin Garnett Strong. Da Big Ticket was the Truth in his earlier days. Like I said LEAN AND MEAN. KD is not a bad choice. No body pushes KG around.
Yeah, but his breath smells like honey nut cheerios, what's up with that?

Read somewhere that a trainer or coach was saying that people think Garnett's weak and skinny because he doesnt have a huge upper body. They said his lower body and core is incredibly strong and thats why hes able to keep his position, stay low, and almost never get blown off his spot. Basketball has a lot more to do with lower body and core strength than simply how much you can bench press as many guys in the NBA have proven time and time again.

Read somewhere that a trainer or coach was saying that people think Garnett's weak and skinny because he doesnt have a huge upper body. They said his lower body and core is incredibly strong and thats why hes able to keep his position, stay low, and almost never get blown off his spot. Basketball has a lot more to do with lower body and core strength than simply how much you can bench press as many guys in the NBA have proven time and time again.

My point exactly. I'm always preaching the oxy/moron for bigger guys to stay low, wide and strong. Most people think that you have to be this huge muscle/strong guy but most of them can't move and are slow. Again LEAN AND MEAN IS THE WAY TO GO. I rather have that type of player with the strentgh to succeed any day. And as for KG, they need to check his history because I can't tell that he is weak and skinny through out the years of him playing in the league. That may have been true in his first season in the league as a high schooler. Who cares about the trash talk.;)

Congrats again, to BJ and Bobby. Another win for the Aces, BJ leading the way with 19 points.
1000pt ball.jpg

OGBJ question for you. Does Lower Merion split its players between Lower Merion H.S. and Harriton as it would regular students or does it send the athletes with more potential to Lower Merion. I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems like whenever one of the teams at Lower Merion is noteworthy or has a noteworthy player its L.M. and never Harriton.

OGBJ question for you. Does Lower Merion split its players between Lower Merion H.S. and Harriton as it would regular students or does it send the athletes with more potential to Lower Merion. I could be completely wrong about this, but it seems like whenever one of the teams at Lower Merion is noteworthy or has a noteworthy player its L.M. and never Harriton.

Your are wrong. For someone in the New York area you seemed to suggesting that BJ should have gone to Harriton by your statement. Or are you in the area? The Ardmore area has always been in the LMHS district until the redistricting about 3yrs ago. Harriton for as long as I have known them have questioned the players that LM has diplayed as well as the type of kid that Glen Mills had produced when I was an assistant BB coach there. Harriton is a little further in the mainline than LM and has more $$ in that area. BJ the second best player since Kobe to play at LM was an huge issue because they thought that he was recruited. To there ignorrance I had live in the area for 1-2 years before BJ started at LM as well as the other players on the team whoes family were raised in Ardmore. Harriton has their moments in sports as well as some of the other teams in the division. It is what it is from the hoops standpoint at this time.

Your are wrong. For someone in the New York area you seemed to suggesting that BJ should have gone to Harriton by your statement. Or are you in the area? The Ardmore area has always been in the LMHS district until the redistricting about 3yrs ago. Harriton for as long as I have known them have questioned the players that LM has diplayed as well as the type of kid that Glen Mills had produced when I was an assistant BB coach there. Harriton is a little further in the mainline than LM and has more $$ in that area. BJ the second best player since Kobe to play at LM was an huge issue because they thought that he was recruited. To there ignorrance I had live in the area for 1-2 years before BJ started at LM as well as the other players on the team whoes family were raised in Ardmore. Harriton has their moments in sports as well as some of the other teams in the division. It is what it is from the hoops standpoint at this time.

I am in the area. My statement wasn't intended to question whether BJ should be at LM and I have no idea (before this post) where you guys live or have lived. I was really asking the question does LM "recruit" within the district and concentrate its athletes at LM over Harriton. Lower Merion High School has been significantly more successful in hoops over the years than Harriton, could also just be the populations that the two schools draw from. I was asking out of interest, not because I want to cause any trouble...so if this is a sensitive subject please feel free not to post about it.

I am in the area. My statement wasn't intended to question whether BJ should be at LM and I have no idea (before this post) where you guys live or have lived. I was really asking the question does LM "recruit" within the district and concentrate its athletes at LM over Harriton. Lower Merion High School has been significantly more successful in hoops over the years than Harriton, could also just be the populations that the two schools draw from. I was asking out of interest, not because I want to cause any trouble...so if this is a sensitive subject please feel free not to post about it.

LM is located in a populated area in Ardmore and Harriton is located in Rosemont. This are two very different types of populations in terms of wealth and family history. Most of the children who go to LM live mostly in south Ardmore and due to the recent school redistricting the line was moved further south to help with the minority population to attend Harriton if you lived in that area. The wealthier families tend to live in the northern part of Ardmore or Rosemont and less wealthy tend to live in S. Ardmore and Wynnewood/Bala area. That seems to be where the issue lies. Harriton could never compete in hoops even when they were in the Del Val. They always complained then and continue to complain about hoops. They win in football and baseball also in other sports against LM. As I said before, LM does not recruit outside of the district and did not recruit BJ or any of the players on the team. They all live in the area(district) with there families where most of them were born and raised in ardmore. That comes from S. Ardmore being one of stops during the underground railroad where AA settled here in history. S. Ardmore has always been populated with AA since. I get a kick out this subject when asked about BJ and how he got to LM or recruitment as is if he does not have parents who are concerned with his wellbeing and maturation in life. It was big talk around the district of how LM got BJ and Dalembert and others. LM has always been predominantly caucasian on the bb court in the history of the school. It is pretty equal in at this point when it comes to the team ethnic population. I think they do a great job with team chemistry in that area of ethnicity on the team. To my knowledge LM has won with both AA/Caucasian, Wealthy/Rich/Middle class players in the past. I for one believe that they will continue to have success using that chemistry and it tends to bring a sense of unity and pride to the school as a whole from an ethnicity standpoint. FOR ME, PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE. I DON'T CARE IF A PERSON WAS PLAAD IN COLOR IF HE WERE ON THE TEAM OR IN GENERAL. I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF HE WAS A GOOD PERSON (NOT AN ,JERK, ETC. AND WILLING TO BE BETTER AS A PLAYER/PERSON. AT LM, WE'RE ALL IN! As for Baskteball, their success and what school you attend is totally contingent upon on where you live and where you can afford to live in this area of the world. Both schools LM and Harriton are very high academic public schools so the education is beneficial to the student in preparation for college. Maybe it comes down to coaching to a degree? And I'll say this as well, you don't see Harriton or any other schools in the league complaining about the lack of coaching or talent on the other teams that lose representing LM. Recruiting or redistricing are never a concern then. "The same things that make you laugh, make you cry." No one in the league likes LM and that how it is. The coach does them a favor by calling off the dogs during games. If it was me as coach. I would give them something else to hate on or talk about because I would beat them by 50 or more every night. That's where I come from!! If you can't run with the big dogs than stay on the porch.;) I hope that I was able to anwer your question.

Even though I enjoyed the entire post, I would say this. 100% with you on the point that people are people. I don't care where you're from, what color your left pinky is lol, etc. So long as the person is a good person, not a jackass, that's all I care about. I've got a big heart, love for everyone that loves me. As for the people who don't love me:

Even though I enjoyed the entire post, I would say this. 100% with you on the point that people are people. I don't care where you're from, what color your left pinky is lol, etc. So long as the person is a good person, not a jackass, that's all I care about. I've got a big heart, love for everyone that loves me. As for the people who don't love me:

That's the way I was raised and I have always had friends from all walks of life whom I'm am greatful to have in my life. And that is also what we as parents have taught BJ as a person in life.

I've seen some video of BJ and he looks very smooth and I'm very impressed. Mr. Johnson, you said the staff is looking at your son as a 2-3 and I agree. Would you have any of his shooting stats (FG%, 3pt FG%, FT%) for this year or his career? I apologize if they have already been posted, I just haven't seen them. Thanks in advance and good luck to BJ in the upcoming playoffs.

I've seen some video of BJ and he looks very smooth and I'm very impressed. Mr. Johnson, you said the staff is looking at your son as a 2-3 and I agree. Would you have any of his shooting stats (FG%, 3pt FG%, FT%) for this year or his career? I apologize if they have already been posted, I just haven't seen them. Thanks in advance and good luck to BJ in the upcoming playoffs.

Not at this time. I will check with coaches to get an update on stats.

BJ was just rated 9o in Scouthoops.com 100 and rated 4-stars at this time. Huge jump from not being in the top 150 at the beginning of the year.

He keeps growing, and then reaching for a higher level, then growing and reaching again...never satisfied...staying hungry! Keep it up!

BJ was just rated 9o in Scouthoops.com 100 and rated 4-stars at this time. Huge jump from not being in the top 150 at the beginning of the year.
At least a 65 position jump, congrats!
Also, as many doubters there are of the guy (most are on this board, lol), serious props to JB and staff for knowing what the "experts" can't seem to figure out until months later.

Congrats. Plus Rivals150 said that he'll be included in their updated top 150 as well. Lets see if Dave Telep and the ESPN boys follow suit as well.winning.gif

Bobby, did the LM game take place yesterday or did it get postponed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom