BJ Johnson | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

All I can remember thinking when saw DC come out of the locker room. Damn that's one long Mother...

When I met with JB,we talked about that game. He referred to Stevie hitting those threes and he could not believe it himself. We both laughed about it.

When I met with JB,we talked about that game. He referred to Stevie hitting those threes and he could not believe it himself. We both laughed about it.

Just catching up to this thread now, some tremendous posts/info. It's clear that they way JB has been selecting players the last three years or so that he basically is taking whomever he wants. If he wanted BJ that early, then he thinks very highly of him.

I've always liked the guys were brought in that had late growth spurts. Those guys have a great handle and then learn to play big. Those type of guys JB loves. They bring the ball up against pressure, can play the wing, go down low, etc.

Also, knowing about BJ's background and what seems like a great dad, I'm eagerly awaiting his time on the hill!! I'm so proud of my boy when he puts up 14 his elem/modified games, I cannot imagine the pride if he signed with JB and company!! You must be very proud, Bob! Congrats to you, too!

OGBJ20 glad to have you on the board, would you compare BJ to a CJ Fair type of player and if not who on the cuse best fits his style of play.

SF from Philly attending the elite camp. Played AAU on Team Final with Rondae Jefferson, and was a name that was passed along to me last month that we could be seriously interested in if we missed out on our A-list targets. Johnson officially measured in over the summer at 6'8, 170, 6'8 wingspan. While his measurables are pretty average, having seen him twice when scouting Jefferson, he was the second best player on that team. He has good range on his shot, can handle a bit, and is a pretty good athlete. Needs to get stronger but anticipated well for steals which lead to numerous fast break points. More of a 4 yr Southerland/Fair type of player, instead of the instant high upside player that Lawrence/Roberson are.

A special shout out to Francis for this early post regarding BJ, as well. It neat to see a post like this, then see him commit and then get some insight from his dad. It paints a great picture of BJ, the recruitment period and then his development!

Just catching up to this thread now, some tremendous posts/info. It's clear that they way JB has been selecting players the last three years or so that he basically is taking whomever he wants. If he wanted BJ that early, then he thinks very highly of him.

I've always liked the guys were brought in that had late growth spurts. Those guys have a great handle and then learn to play big. Those type of guys JB loves. They bring the ball up against pressure, can play the wing, go down low, etc.

Also, knowing about BJ's background and what seems like a great dad, I'm eagerly awaiting his time on the hill!! I'm so proud of my boy when he puts up 14 his elem/modified games, I cannot imagine the pride if he signed with JB and company!! You must be very proud, Bob! Congrats to you, too!

Thanks, we are very proud of BJ. It is very exciting to see him play in his games as well. Also, keep up the great work with your son as well.

OGBJ20 glad to have you on the board, would you compare BJ to a CJ Fair type of player and if not who on the cuse best fits his style of play.

CJ Fair, Southerland but able to do more off the bounce at this stage.

CJ Fair, Southerland but able to do more off the bounce at this stage.
Hmm, let's see. Starring at Lower Merion. Father played for LaSalle, and then continued his pro career overseas. That's a very nice precedent being followed.

Hmm, let's see. Starring at Lower Merion. Father played for LaSalle, and then continued his pro career overseas. That's a very nice precedent being followed.
There are some similarities there. Never really thought of it like that.

A South Philly Orange fan here from the days of the Pearl. Actually attended LaSalle but I believe you already graduated... I was there with Randy Woods. Just curious if you thought of sending your son to my old high school ...Neumann-Goretti...they are typically a top high school program that plays a stacked national schedule.

A South Philly Orange fan here from the days of the Pearl. Actually attended LaSalle but I believe you already graduated... I was there with Randy Woods. Just curious if you thought of sending your son to my old high school ...Neumann-Goretti...they are typically a top high school program that plays a stacked national schedule.

It was a thought along with Roman and the Prep but we were obviously intrigued by the school system/education and the oportunity for BJ to flourish. Another point was that I would be able to work him out more often.

http://mainlinemedianews.com/articles/2012/12/08/sports/doc50c299e3666af329978419.txt
BJ led all scorers with 29pts in a loss to Neumann-Goretti. NG is one of the best teams in the country, so I'm glad to see that BJ had a great game against them. JaQuan Newton, who I'm a big fan of and the staff has shown interest in him from time to time had 21pts for NG, and 2015 cuse target Lamarr Kimble had 11pts.

BJ scored 19pts in a blowout win tonight over Pencrest who was supposed to be much improved. 70-41 was the score. BJ spent played about 20min tonight. That is pretty much how its going to be in league play as there are not any teams to challenge LM. The biggest challenge for them would be for them not to become to relaxed. The next challenge for BJ and the crew will come on the 27th and 29th in the Kobe Classic at LM and then to West Virginia on the 4th after playing the night before league foe Upper Darby.

BJ scored 19pts in a blowout win tonight over Pencrest who was supposed to be much improved. 70-41 was the score. BJ spent played about 20min tonight. That is pretty much how its going to be in league play as there are not any teams to challenge LM. The biggest challenge for them would be for them not to become to relaxed. The next challenge for BJ and the crew will come on the 27th and 29th in the Kobe Classic at LM and then to West Virginia on the 4th after playing the night before league foe Upper Darby.
Great to hear. The game against St. Frances on the 27th should be a good one. Hopefully BJ gives Dwayne Morgan the biz haha. I see their playing my old my HS St. Raymond's in WV. Ray's is real young this year but have a couple of talented youngins but I think LM should be able to handle them.

Great to hear. The game against St. Frances on the 27th should be a good one. Hopefully BJ gives Dwayne Morgan the biz haha. I see their playing my old my HS St. Raymond's in WV. Ray's is real young this year but have a couple of talented youngins but I think LM should be able to handle them.
I was watching St Ray's a few days ago vs Iona Prep on MSG Varsity. St Ray's really misses Okoro and Dingle. I did not see the 2nd half as it was very painful to watch! Their new head coach Lopez has his work cut out for him. I was impressed by Iona. A fundamentaly sound and a well coached team that hustled. I could see why they won the Class A Championship last year.

OGB, thanks for the update. As Orange fans we are fortunate to have your reports after each game. BTW, does Kobe have anything to do with the Lower Merion program or school? You mentioned the Kobe Classic. I assume that he in some way sponsors it. Has BJ and the team had an opportunity to meet Kobe.

OGB, thanks for the update. As Orange fans we are fortunate to have your reports after each game. BTW, does Kobe have anything to do with the Lower Merion program or school? You mentioned the Kobe Classic. I assume that he in some way sponsors it. Has BJ and the team had an opportunity to meet Kobe.

He does and made a huge 5mil donation to the school to build the Bryant Gymnasium when the new school was built 2yrs ago. Although, BJ has not had a chance to meet him due to scheduling difficulties. In the past the team has had a chance to meet Kobe but it is difficult. The to be seniors attend his camp in the summer on the west coast and at that time BJ was playing in the Peach Jam. I sure Kobe appreciated that one of his Aces was playing in such a tournament and doing well. You could probably go to You Tube or Aceshoops.com to see the dedication of the gym. The team wears Kobe's and such in respect to the PIAA rules.

I pretty sure that he along with the team will be ready for such a challenge.

I was watching St Ray's a few days ago vs Iona Prep on MSG Varsity. St Ray's really misses Okoro and Dingle. I did not see the 2nd half as it was very painful to watch! Their new head coach Lopez has his work cut out for him. I was impressed by Iona. A fundamentaly sound and a well coached team that hustled. I could see why they won the Class A Championship last year.
Yup, it's a rebuilding job for Lopez, who was coaching Varsity B when I was there.

could have sworn I saw a tweet about Kobe being at practice just the other day

could have sworn I saw a tweet about Kobe being at practice just the other day

BJ told me that he did stop but he did not address the team. He observed the practice for a brief time because of his schedule and had to leave.

I'm definitely excited to see BJ play for Syracuse. I was impressed with what I saw. I'm suprised he isn't ranked as a high recruit. Can't wait to see him show that he can be a great player for Cuse.

He played for the first time on the national circuit with Team Final this past summer. Until then, he was on a local AAU team who did not travel much. Most of his attention at that time was from local and regional folks.

Happy Birthday to BJ who turns 17 yrs old today. Enjoy your day with all the Love and Blessings from your Very Proud Father.
Happy Birthday BJ, have a great day.

Happy birthday BJ! Mine is 12/22, taking the family to their first Cuse game against Temple.
I used to think my birthday was on Winter Solstice, but it's BJ's, 12/21 :)