Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cmon now Tyler and Tyus are the teachers pets(and deservingly so) and went beginning to end without his criticism. He showed them RESPECT. They responded accordingly.

Please. Your attempt at pop-psychology from many miles away isn't very compelling. You are letting your imagination get the better of you.

JB's been doing this for 40 years. He didn't forget how to coach.

He ended up with a few guys who either could not or would not listen.

That's what he said and I believe him ... and not you.

With the end of JB's career in the close horizon, I have been thinking about programs that used to be great and then declined.

Of course, schools like Georgetown and UConn immediately come to mind. But they could come back.

Saint John's has been down a while. Marquette used to be a much bigger deal.Depaul was certainly good for a while.

Cincinnati was once a power (Oscar Robertson went there!) Along with the whole Missouri valley Conference.

And he University of San Francisco was briefly great.

Of course a sustained decline couldn't happen at SU. We have big crowds.

At least we have in the past.

With Hop announcement what do you say now? Recruit new coach or let it roll?

I think this means that Boeheim will be the coach for another 3-4 years or so. (including next season) So let's play this tape out.

Timeline A: Boeheim steps down after the 17-18' season and MH coaches relatively well if not spectacularly for three seasons and is fired at the end of the 20-21' season. A national coaching search ensues.

Timeline B: with Hopkins gone, and the timeline now seemingly disbanded, Boeheim coaches for four more seasons with mixed results and leaves at the end of the 20-21' season. A national coaching search ensures.

Given the events of today, I think timeline B is better. You remove the uncertainly around how Hop will perform and go right from JB to a national coaching search, instead of Hopkins to a national coaching search.

I've been told that he planned to step down twice, after 09', and again after 12'. I won't say more, but it comes from a very respected source on this board. That's all I'll say.

Hop has been more than strung along.

This is worth bumping. (My understanding of the first date is a year off from that, but I'm familiar with the rough outline, too. And it's caused some frustration.)

We were closer to being a St. Bonaventure than a blue blood before Jim Boeheim. A private school in upstate NY that went on an unlikely FF run that allowed our HC to jump UP to...Tulane.

Everything you currently love about Syracuse basketball is because of Jim Boeheim. Everything.

There already IS a plan in place for when he will retire and who will take over. And it's ONE year from now. For any poster to complain about that plan being one year longer than what they'd prefer is ridiculous. Yes. Even on a message board.

Jim Boeheim built Syracuse basketball.

He's owed this, plus a lot more.

Uh, we had been to the Final Four two years before he started. We were one of the top Eastern Independents. If you mean we were like Bonaventure when they had Bob Lanier, or Niagara when they had Calvin Murphy, then OK, I can agree with that. But it's not like we were not a very solid program.

Uh, we had been to the Final Four two years before he started. We were one of the top Eastern Independents. If you mean we were like Bonaventure when they had Bob Lanier, or Niagara when they had Calvin Murphy, then OK, I can agree with that. But it's not like we were not a very solid program.
Matt, we were a solid eastern school but every much like the St bonnie team that we split 4 games with in 77 and 78. we were not really a national player. the final 4 run in '75 was very much in the run of a lifetime mold. That wasn't a strong national team. We had a nice team that played a ridiculously easy schedule.

Matt, we were a solid eastern school but every much like the St bonnie team that we split 4 games with in 77 and 78. we were not really a national player. the final 4 run in '75 was very much in the run of a lifetime mold. That wasn't a strong national team. We had a nice team that played a ridiculously easy schedule.

Of course.

But if the idea is to deflate JB's importance, than you inflate the status of the program when he took it over.

With the end of JB's career in the close horizon, I have been thinking about programs that used to be great and then declined.

Of course, schools like Georgetown and UConn immediately come to mind. But they could come back.

Saint John's has been down a while. Marquette used to be a much bigger deal.Depaul was certainly good for a while.

Cincinnati was once a power (Oscar Robertson went there!) Along with the whole Missouri valley Conference.

And he University of San Francisco was briefly great.

Of course a sustained decline couldn't happen at SU. We have big crowds.

At least we have in the past.

DePaul and St Johns used to draw huge crowds...being in large cities the crowds went away quickly once the program's started to decline, and that helped accelerate the drop off. I think there is plenty of reason to worry the same thing could happen at Syracuse, since we seem to have a very high percentage of fair-weather/big event type fans (which I think is your point).

DePaul and St Johns used to draw huge crowds...being in large cities the crowds went away quickly once the program's started to decline, and that helped accelerate the drop off. I think there is plenty of reason to worry the same thing could happen at Syracuse, since we seem to have a very high percentage of fair-weather/big event type fans (which I think is your point).

There are a few people on here who believe the SU program is too big, too successful and has too much momentum to go backwards significantly. And that the large crowds at the Dome (30K max and 22K average) will make the program continually successful.

I started thinking about once very good or even great programs that have sort of ceased to be relevant.

Those that assert "it can't happen here", I think are wrong. They've even gone so far as to inflate the pre-Boeheim program to make it look like it is less likely the program can seriously recede.

The one factor they haven't argued is that the University NEEDS the basketball, program to be very good. As a high-priced, medium quality school they need to give people significant reasons to attend. Sports programs are one of these. Expect the University to do hand-stands to keep SU program at the Top 20 level.

Last edited:
Considering Coach K hasn't missed the tournament since 1995 and averages 25 wins a season this opinion isn't close to truth.

K asked Boeheim to join him becausbe he respects his defensive mind for the zone which you see a lot in International basketball. It had nothing to do with K fearing JB when he was already ahead of JB.
What about the Grayson Allen situation? Do you honestly think JB would still have Allen on the SU squad with the three proven trips and numerous others pointed out by players/coaches/media/fans but not the zebras?

The man was and is integral to everything we love snd appreciate about Syracuse basketball. So many of you have such short perpectives. So many others forget. Before the first NC "coach can't win the big one." "You can't win with zone." He was an innovator who did it HIS WAY. Peoples perceptions of recruiting through the years is so much hooey. What is actually noteable is that we have been spoiled by having so few years like this past year. We have never been able to pick players as though the high school playerswere cafeteria items, like some schools have. Yet he has achieved beyond the dreams and expectations of anyone watching since our HC left to take a job at Tulane!! Fans are funny. I include myself. We agonize and react viscerally and emotionally to events from the individual play to the span of games to the season, to the span of seasons. Reacting this way to a play or a game is OK. We let off steam. We define our expectation around how we accept defeat. In the longer view it isn't rational. A few missed shots last year and many of you would have been calling for Coach to step down. You would have said he is too old, not adaptable etc. How much has he "lost it" or failed to adapt to the changing game since his final four run with a very deficient team? We are staring into an abyss. Probably overly dramatic, but nevertheless. We have no idea what Syracuse hoops will look like for the next 30 years. So many of you are eager to step into that abyss for "new improved", "can relate to young players", won't play exclusively zone". I can only shake my head. Coach is not perfect, but if basketball were war, there is nobody I would rather be in the trenches with... NOBODY, than him. I haven't seen the claimed signs of decline. I saw a patchwork team that he couldn't place into cohesive units. That in and of itself is a rarity. Our love for Syracuse basketball is a very pale echo of his. He goes on his terms. I trust this proud accomplished man to do right by the University.
Beautifully put. Thanks

Many of you sound like the drunk guy in the bar who, through whatever tendencies in life lead to him be drunk in a bar, and through the magic of intoxication, is driven to certainty, and to share his opinions with anyone within earshot. Bars are fine. Drunk guys are fine so long as nobody gets hurt. Opinion forums are fine. Thankfully the decision makers are likely not posting on here or scouring the debate for guidance.
I offer all a metaphoric white rose in solidarity with all who self identify as 'Cuse fans. May they dedicate a restroom to us.
I'll add an orange rose.

Rose Color Meanings | Reader's Digest

What about the Grayson Allen situation? Do you honestly think JB would still have Allen on the SU squad with the three proven trips and numerous others pointed out by players/coaches/media/fans but not the zebras?

Never. Because Boeheim's got a long history of getting rid of productive players who win games. Like, you know, that guy. And that other guy.

Never. Because Boeheim's got a long history of getting rid of productive players who win games. Like, you know, that guy. And that other guy.
I'm pretty sure I like this. As sarcasm. But my detector is off a bit these days.

Bump. Is it time yet? Nothing has improved this year and I feel even less secure with JB on the sidelines.
Well, if you feel less secure, let's run him out of here. We can't have that. Forget that we have a top 10 player coming in next year. And a top 40 guard. Screw that. Maybe we can get the guy out in Washington that everyone wanted to run out of here last year.

Well, if you feel less secure, let's run him out of here. We can't have that. Forget that we have a top 10 player coming in next year. And a top 40 guard. Screw that. Maybe we can get the guy out in Washington that everyone wanted to run out of here last year.
And if we are NIT again next year?

Seriously, what will it take for you and townies to agree it's time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom