Boeheim, SU Basketball at a Crossroads | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Basketball at a Crossroads

you saying JB was de facto headcoach the last 2 years of roy's tenure or that we brought in all new players in 1977 ?
you do realize that programs like trains don't stop on a dime . players and teachings carry over. thus...we call it transition.

you saying JB was de facto headcoach the last 2 years of roy's tenure or that we brought in all new players in 1977 ?
you do realize that programs like trains don't stop on a dime . players and teachings carry over. thus...we call it transition.
I wasn't going to go down that road but there was always the talk that jb was really running the show at the end of roy's run. Jb even said, I think in his book, that he coached the practices and Roy walked around the offices at Manley. But to the larger point, with the addition of Orr and Bouie, our team had a totally different look in 1977 than we did in '76. Our '76 team sucked. By far the worst Syracuse team of my lifetime. Byrnes improved greatly (also grew about 3 inches) The program was just different. Once again, I don't know how old you are or if you watched those teams, but if you did, you should know.

Last edited by a moderator:
are we talking about the 75/76 team that went 20-9 and made the tourney or the 76/77 team that went 26-4 and made the tourney. sucked ? and i remember watching byrnes and marty headd and thought they were great. i was a teenager then.

are we talking about the 75/76 team that went 20-9 and made the tourney or the 76/77 team that went 26-4 and made the tourney. sucked ? and i remember watching byrnes and marty headd and thought they were great.
the 75/ 76 team was not a good team. Our schedule in those days, including the first 4 of jb's years, was weak. It got better in the last of the 4 because we played at least one round of Big East games. What we have right now, would roll the '76 team. Headd really didn't play much with Byrnes. Brynes was a sr when Marty was a frosh. The '76 team actually had Dale Shack play center. The following year he was the small forward. The following year
he was actually the 2 guard. So a guy that played 2 guard was our center in '76. 9 losses was pretty bad with our schedule. Marty Headd was a great shooter. He arrived from CBA for the 77/78 . But he really didn't play all that much. He played a lot the next three years.

the 75/ 76 team was not a good team. Our schedule in those days, including the first 4 of jb's years, was weak. It got better in the last of the 4 because we played at least one round of Big East games. What we have right now, would roll the '76 team. Headd really didn't play much with Byrnes. Brynes was a sr when Marty was a frosh. The '76 team actually had Dale Shack play center. The following year he was the small forward. The following year
he was actually the 2 guard. So a guy that played 2 guard was our center in '76. 9 losses was pretty bad with our schedule. Marty Headd was a great shooter. He arrived from CBA for the 77/78 . But he really didn't play all that much. He played a lot the next three years.
I love it when we have links like Alsacs did the other day with the Tenn game. That game brings back so many memories. I told all of my friends back home that we were great. And now here we are playing on national tv against a big time opponent. I think I felt more pressure that day than the team did.

still mad about the free throws ?

In the Carrier Classic, early his senior season, Byrnes matched up with the notable Earvin 'Magic' Johnson. Byrnes would win the individual match up, and the Orangemen would win the inaugural Classic. In the ECAC playoffs Byrnes proved his mettle once again, pulling down 18 rebounds in the Orange victory.

In the NCAA tournament the Orangemen struggled against lower seed Western Kentucky. The team was able to take the game to overtime. Down by one point late in the extra period, the Orangemen ran a play to have Byrnes take the last shot. Byrnes drove to the hoop, made the basket and was fouled. However, the second referee overruled the original call, saying the basket did not count. Byrnes had to go to the line for a one and one. One free throw would tie the game, the second would win. Byrnes took his shot, missed and the Orangemen were sent home with a first round loss.

I wasn't going to go down that road but there was always the talk that jb was really running the show at the end of roy's run. Jb even said, I think in his book, that he coached the practices and Roy walked around the offices at Manley. But to the larger point, with the addition of Orr and Bouie, our team had a totally different look in 1977 than we did in '76. Our '76 team sucked. By far the worst Syracuse team of my lifetime. Byrnes improved greatly (also grew about 3 inches) The program was just different. Once again, I don't know how old you are or if you watched those teams, but if you did, you should know.
Like they were saying hop was the defacto coach this year...

still mad about the free throws ?

In the Carrier Classic, early his senior season, Byrnes matched up with the notable Earvin 'Magic' Johnson. Byrnes would win the individual match up, and the Orangemen would win the inaugural Classic. In the ECAC playoffs Byrnes proved his mettle once again, pulling down 18 rebounds in the Orange victory.

In the NCAA tournament the Orangemen struggled against lower seed Western Kentucky. The team was able to take the game to overtime. Down by one point late in the extra period, the Orangemen ran a play to have Byrnes take the last shot. Byrnes drove to the hoop, made the basket and was fouled. However, the second referee overruled the original call, saying the basket did not count. Byrnes had to go to the line for a one and one. One free throw would tie the game, the second would win. Byrnes took his shot, missed and the Orangemen were sent home with a first round loss.
That is the least of it. That story doesn't tell near the story. Byrnes drives to the hoop and is fouled as he scores. And a-hole Billy packer goes on a rant about the hoop not counting. I swear he influenced the other ref. the basket went up on the scoreboard. The infamous ref huddle and lo and behold, no hoop. I can still see Marty missing it. Now, if we won, we would have faced Mich state again and I thought they were going to kill us. We weren't the same team at the end of the year that we were earlier in the year. We didn't improve as the season went on. So as bad as the loss was, and you can't believe how bad western Kentucky was, it only would have delay what was going to happen anyway.

Not even close to true. Danforth didn't leave Jb Bouie or Orr. And they were the keys to the next 4 years.

In fairness Marty Byrnes and Dale Shackleford were pretty nice pieces to build around.

112778_large.jpg

well this thread was titled crossroads. now JB may have finagled himself a few more years on the bench (hopefully less than 3) but i honestly think we have to consider transitioning to our next coach and making it as seamless and successful as Danforth to JB. no growing pains. just roll it over...

Clapton%2BCrossroads.jpg

Last edited:
In fairness Marty Byrnes and Dale Shackleford were pretty nice pieces to build around.
Well, Brynes was a different player in 77 than he was in 76. He grew a bit and improved a lot. Shack was okay.

i'm sorry dasher i thought you were a true believer in the coaching transition phase and that nobody could judge hopkins on his first 4 years cuz it wasn't really going to be "his team ". i guess you only use that argument when it suits your needs.
truly danforth's stamp was still on the program the first few years after he left. to argue otherwise is foolhardy.
I can understand your point but judging Hopkins his first 4 years would have revolved around a number of things. Like, who is left on the team when he took over. Was he allowed to recruit his players 1 or 2 years before the transfer of power. Either to be at Su the last year of JB's reign and for Hops 1st and 2nd years. How many scholarships were available. Also if comparing JB's first 4 to Hops, a look a the competition. How does ANY first year coach do in the ACC? So when JB took over, How did those things look? And what was recruiting like back then compared to now. Now days it can be years of cultivating a relationship with a high school kid, especially top talent compared to back then it was possible to swoop in and get a kid his sr yr. Also, everybody knows the top kids, then talent could be hidden. What schools actually recruited Louie and Bouie. Who would be after them now. I don't know, so I am just asking the question.

Alas, all this is irrelevant now unless the next coach is on the staff now.

roy danforth left JB a team that went 100-18 his 1st 4 years. (off a final 4 in '75). let's hope JB hands over the same success.
JB's first four teams went 100-18 largely on the backs of Bouie and Orr, both of whom were recruited by Boeheim and not left behind by Danforth.

I didn't think the article was particularly well-written. The author mentions the team as it stands now could be sufficient for a mid-tier ACC finish. Well a mid-tier ACC finish in most years would mean either an NCAA birth, or at the very least, a just-miss bubble team like this year. I think most would agree we probably don't have enough at the moment to be that close to the Dance. Also, when he mentions Moyer and Chukwu will round out the rotation, does he realize the rotation is often 7 guys? (sometimes even 6.5). Chukwu has to show me a lot more before I am convinced he is definitely top-7. Also, no mention at all of either Sidibe or Brissett. Either one of them could potentially play ahead of Chukwu in the rotation (particularly Sidibe, since he plays the same position).

What happened his third 4 years? His 4th 4 years? An actual upturn, if you will.

Totally unsure what point you are trying to make here.
Nah, I think you know damn well the point he is trying to make.

I can understand your point but judging Hopkins his first 4 years would have revolved around a number of things. Like, who is left on the team when he took over. Was he allowed to recruit his players 1 or 2 years before the transfer of power. Either to be at Su the last year of JB's reign and for Hops 1st and 2nd years. How many scholarships were available. Also if comparing JB's first 4 to Hops, a look a the competition. How does ANY first year coach do in the ACC? So when JB took over, How did those things look? And what was recruiting like back then compared to now. Now days it can be years of cultivating a relationship with a high school kid, especially top talent compared to back then it was possible to swoop in and get a kid his sr yr. Also, everybody knows the top kids, then talent could be hidden. What schools actually recruited Louie and Bouie. Who would be after them now. I don't know, so I am just asking the question.

Alas, all this is irrelevant now unless the next coach is on the staff now.

valid points. but a typical first year ACC coach is taking over a program that has tanked. not one who's head coach is finally retiring after 40 + years at the same school . secondly JB received a huge bump in his recruiting efforts by the births of both the carrier dome and ESPN and the big east . i stand by my original premise. JB inherited a program in damn good shape . 4 straight NCAA tourney appearances (including a FF) and a 74% winning mark . big crowds. excited fans.
how will JB handle the transition and leave is the question.

Last edited:
valid points. but a typical first year ACC coach is taking over a program that has tanked. not one who's head coach is finally retiring after 40 + years at the same school . secondly JB received a huge bump in his recruiting efforts by the births of both the carrier dome and ESPN and the big east . i stand by my original premise. JB inherited a program in damn good shape . 4 straight NCAA tourney appearances (including a FF) and a 74% winning mark . big crowds. excited fans.
how will JB handle the transition and leave is the question.
Big crowds? If we got the crowds that we got at Manley now, there would be panic on the Hill.

If the Big East was as big a factor in Syracuse's prominence as some would like to believe then I would have to think that Rutgers would've been relevant for even a minute. Or that St John's would've been able to stay relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom