Box Score Shocker... | Syracusefan.com

Box Score Shocker...

newmexicuse

All Conference
They totally stifled our o, and nothing was going to change that last night.

the only thing that kept us somewhat in the game was jesse’s d.

we let it get away at the end of the first half, but my box score shock, was why did Jesse only get 19 minutes when he was the only player we put on the floor who made any difference ????

Agree regarding Jesse -appeared to be a game he was needed for SU to complete.
JB has his set protocol: Jesse didn't start 2ns half when fatigue wasn't a factor.

Been a somewhat draining season trying to understand logic of the rotations.

that wasnt boeheim’s finest moment last nite. edwards had to start the 2nd half. and it was obvious braswell didnt have it, he shouldnt have been on the court in the 2nd half.
Yes, when Jesse didn't start the 2nd half, which I knew Boeheim would refuse to do, it was clear we would fall too far behind before he got a chance.

They totally stifled our o, and nothing was going to change that last night.

the only thing that kept us somewhat in the game was jesse’s d.

we let it get away at the end of the first half, but my box score shock, was why did Jesse only get 19 minutes when he was the only player we put on the floor who made any difference ????
I was dumbfounded that JB took out Edwards and didn’t put him back in when they went on that 10-0 run. Ok, he took him out to get a breather but once they started going on a little run, I thought he’d put him back in. Part of it may have been a calculation about our struggling to score (we still only had 20 points then) and Jesse wasn’t going to help us much in that regard. I think JB must have been hoping that w/Marek and Q and Braswell(?) in there, someone would catch fire and we might finally come alive a bit on offense. either way, I still don’t think we win even if Jesse plays those last few minutes of the half. He played a lot in the second half and they still pulled away with him getting minutes. Our offense was stuck in the mud all night.

I think JB must have been hoping that w/Marek and Q and Braswell(?) in there, someone would catch fire and we might finally come alive a bit on offense
Marek and Q: 4/15 for 10 points, 7 rebs, 2 assists.
Buddy and Joe: 7/23 for 24 points, 7 rebs, 2 assists.

Didn't seem to be enough movement/energy on offense in a game that SU needed to rev their motors vs a very active, athletic team. Q's knee may have been bothering him(?)
Houston's D owned SU -nobody catching fire spelled doom.
But SU did rise from the ashes to the Sweet 16-
And Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas watched that from the sidelines!

that wasnt boeheim’s finest moment last nite. edwards had to start the 2nd half. and it was obvious braswell didnt have it, he shouldnt have been on the court in the 2nd half.
The only problem with that thinking is that we needed to have 5 out there. If not Braswell who? Griff? He was other worldly bad.

The only problem with that thinking is that we needed to have 5 out there. If not Braswell who? Griff? He was other worldly bad.
Yeah and then we’re severely limited with outside threats and they just double Buddy.

Griffin did draw a couple of fouls on drives. It sounds crazy, but I thought he could have gotten more run last night once it was clear our offense was going to be rough. Basically a Hail Mary that he makes a couple of tough shots.

Box Plus Minus from last night:
Griffin -5.9
Marek -3.6
Kadary -2.6
Braswell -0.2
Q +4.7
Buddy +6.6
JG3 +9.1
Jesse: +11.8
That just can't be right. I know Jesse is right but how were we +9.1 when Joe was on the court. +6.6 when Buddy was on the court and -2.6 when Kadray was on the court. And lose by 16?

Personally, I'm looking forward for MD moving on. After the WVA game when yet again JB spewed his malarkey about Edwards "not being ready" he mentioned how our offense runs through MD. Well, that speaks for itself in regards to why our offense has been such a struggle at times this season, especially when facing more athletic teams. Perhaps, JB will let the offense run next year through the PG (Richmond) as it should and we have/run a semblance of a legit offense.

Last edited:
Griffin did draw a couple of fouls on drives. It sounds crazy, but I thought he could have gotten more run last night once it was clear our offense was going to be rough. Basically a Hail Mary that he makes a couple of tough shots.
Did you see the part where he got completely lost on defense and started playing at the top of the zone? He was awful. And JB did try to overlook his early awful and put him back in twice.

Did you see the part where he got completely lost on defense and started playing at the top of the zone? He was awful. And JB did try to overlook his early awful and put him back in twice.
I saw it all. That situation was a scrambling set though and that’s how it fell into place.

That just can't be right. I know Jesse is right but how were we +9.1 when Joe was on the court. +6.6 when Buddy was on the court and -2.6 when Kadray was on the court. And lose by 16?

It's advanced metrics! Buddy and Marek were out during the only stretch where we outscored them handily, but I think those stats factor in your usage, points, etc...

Eh, I'm with you on the crazy with this take.

His airball was horrible. It was mimicked though repeatedly to start the game.

He was the only spazzy athlete we had to counter their spazzy athletes.

When we went on the run, he got a couple free throws, thought he got killed on one drive with a no-call, and picked up a bunch of fouls on drives which likely helped us along on the run as it sent Grimes to the bench.

He should have been on the court when Edwards was, never with Marek. He's a wanderer on defense, Jesse can cover for that, it's death with Marek.

In the second half I think he was out with Marek mainly, and then came out after the wild turnover and then the three where Joe ended up down low.

I don't know, he cheats up so high it's insane.....but the spazzy pass he made for that turnover, at least for me was no worse than Marek haphazardly tossing the ball somewhere near where he thought the rim may be because defenders jumped a lot.

Like I said, I would have had him in whenever Jesse was in. Otherwise, nopity, nope, nope, nope, not at all. Also, I would have played Jesse as much as possible. lol

Yes, Griffin should've gotten more run IMO. It was so apparent that Houston's game plan was to shut down Buddy at all cost and make somebody else beat them. Well, unfortunately, the other player we have that has that type of offensive potential is Griffin. Perhaps, if Griffin gets more run, gets hot, it makes Houston think twice about putting all its efforts on Buddy, and cheat off him some, opening up just a bit of space that Buddy needs to be effective.

However, in typical JB fashion, he wasted no time to yank Griffin the moment he made his first mistake. We needed O last night, who else on this roster is capable of getting it? It wasn't going to be Girard with his average at best handle and inability to create due to lack of athleticism, especially against Houston's athletes.

IMO, questionable player rotations last night played a significant role in our loss, along with our pathetic offensive performance.

advanced metrics say griff was our best defender last night but not by much.

advanced metrics say griff was our best defender last night but not by much.
they can say that all they want, but there is a reason the Hall of fame coach pulled him 3X. And it wasn't offense. As bad as he was at that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom