Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

LOL. You’re just talking in circles and nothing about what I posted. What am I in the minority about? You’re confused. You even agreed with me.

No confusion whatsoever. You said:

“Not exactly. Without fans there are no college sports. Again, I have no problem with NIL done the right way and the way it was intended.”

The majority of fans are not affected by this as you.
I point to tv ratings and rights fees. If you have facts that say otherwise, go ahead and prove me wrong.

You then state that you’d like NIL done the right way. Please state whom would get it done the “right way” and how.

Yes. I'm not 70 yet, as you quipped above to another poster, but there are elements of that nostalgia that are inextricably tied to my enjoyment of the game. And it hit me tonight that my game is gone. I'm out, at least in the sense of switching to casual fandom. I'll pay some attention if the team gets into the top 25, but I'm not following the offseason garbage, and it's time to be done with college football generally, in the same way that I abandoned college basketball years ago. Better things to do with my time.

I've written about how I hate NIL because it's essentially impossible to implement in its true, reasonable, justifiable form. Others have talked about the metastasis between "NIL" and the loosening of transfer rules. Blecch. I don't have a team to cheer for any more, in the sense that matters to me as a fan. And it can't be fixed. So I'm out.

Addison at Pitt was a jackhole for bailing on his team last year. Extrapolate as you see fit.

If I wanted to watch pro football I'd watch the NFL. But even there, free agency killed a lot of my interest in that game.

Sports is tribal. Too much mobility destroys the sense of tribe, and my investment and interest.
No issues with anything you said. If you or anyone don’t want to continue to watch, it’s well within your rights and I respect the opinion.

No issues with anything you said. If you or anyone don’t want to continue to watch, it’s well within your rights and I respect the opinion.
Yeah, for sure. Like you said, it is what it is. I understand and sympathize with arguments on all sides of this. Everyone has some truth in the game. Only speaking to what matters to me.

No confusion whatsoever. You said:

“Not exactly. Without fans there are no college sports. Again, I have no problem with NIL done the right way and the way it was intended.”

The majority of fans are not affected by this as you.
I point to tv ratings and rights fees. If you have facts that say otherwise, go ahead and prove me wrong.

You then state that you’d like NIL done the right way. Please state whom would get it done the “right way” and how.

You read my post in a vacuum. I was responding to something specific. And I agree there is nobody to legislate this garbage. But that doesn’t mean that people can’t hate the fact that people are paying players for pay and it was not the intention of NIL. You even said you don’t like it. Must be you’re in the minority.

You read my post in a vacuum. I was responding to something specific. And I agree there is nobody to legislate this garbage. But that doesn’t mean that people can’t hate the fact that people are paying players for pay and it was not the intention of NIL. You even said you don’t like it. Must be you’re in the minority.
Everyone can hate it all they want. I am in the minority but I’ll still continue watching it. My point is more about the cries of change.

It’s not what it was. I miss the Big East and MSG. But I can also accept it’s gone.

Whenever the NIL stuff comes up on this board, it sounds like a bunch of star wars fans bitchin about the new movies/shows.

This isn’t for us and at some point you have to accept it

I've been chillin with this group for more than 20 years now, and it occurs to me that if I gave up cold turkey, I'd miss the camaraderie here more than I would the football. Ugh.

The least expensive way to retain a player is to make sure they have a college girlfriend. Serious.
I think Louisville showed that plan doesn’t always work out well

The problem is there is no oversight. I'm sure there is tampering galore. This system was never made for the Syracuse’s of the world. We trade our all league player for 2 fliers coming of double acl tears. It's just another way to widen the gap between the halves and have not.

What's really stupid is the boat loads of money the colleges began making off of student athletes.
Then there has to be a way to split it evenly. How is it fair for the star QB to make millions of dollars, but the OT who was just as important makes nothing?

The way Texas Tech did it would be the way to go if we ever had the $ for it

Let’s ask this question

What the hell do you all think happened before NIL?

The back in my day type talk, how you’re done watching, it’s unfair, etc… did you just not pay attention to this stuff before?

Or is it because Syracuse Football didn’t adapt quick enough in the 90s to create continued success. Here we sit in 2022 going to only our second bowl in the last 8 or so years, and since we’re this type of program, we think NIL/Portal era is unfair.

All I know is i’m slowly drifting away as a fan. It’s not a cold turkey quit, more like no issues playing golf during noon away games, fall asleep on couch for 9pm start basketball games. All unheard of 20:years ago. Maybe i’m getting older and sports matter less in grand scheme. Who knows.

If Syracuse had a large group of rich fans who would spend their own money to buy recruits or use their money to demand winning at all costs our fans wouldn’t care about NIL.
The fact is these kids have leverage now. Before football or basketball players didn’t have the same rights as non-revenue sport athletes when it came to transferring without sitting out a season.
NIL if somebody wants to pay an athlete to come to their school good for that athlete:

College football and basketball are money makers for the schools. Players should get as much as they can.

The NIL and transfer portal have resulted in top-tier athletes becoming mercenaries.
The product suffers from a fan perspective.

It is deflating when a key player followed all season hits the portal and abandons the program just before the bowl game the team earned.

Watching development of players over 4yrs and "knowing the team" has high fan value.
Wholesale roster rebuilds by losing to the portal/pounding the portal every season is toxic to me.
I like the team aspect, and "knowing" the players.

It is what it is -remains to be seen whether following SU and college sports in this scenario is for me.

These "student athletes " at Syracuse are saving 330k over 4 years in tuition, room and board. Plus they get other perks. They walk away with a degree and no frigging debt. That's a heck of a deal. I played D3 and I will be paying down that student loan until I'm 70. Let's stop pretending they are selflessly running out on the field and the schools are extorting them it was always a transaction. You go to school for free and you play a fun sport. All the rest of your fellow students will be wracked with debt for the rest of their lives and they had fun in school for free.
Great post. People always argue that the players are being taken advantage of. They are getting a free education plus all the other stipend perks to play a game they love. No one forces them to play. They could stop playing in high school, take out loans, work and go to school like 99.9 percent of the other students.
People complain that the school makes so much money. That money is reinvested in the program and school for the benefit of the players and students. It’s not like the chancellor or board of trustees is keeping the money.
The portal is the real problem. There are so many players that are giving away a free education for quick money. Yes they are going to another school but will all the credits transfer or will they stay on a track to graduate. A degree has growth potential for a lifetime. Couple that with no debt.
10 years from now we will be watching a Netflix documentary of players saying that it was a mistake, that they were mislead or lied too and they wish they made different choices.
It’s sad. As a fan I will continue to watch and support SU sports and the players that choose to be part of university.

Absolutely. For 90% plus of players NIL value is a joke; it’s (a lot) less than the value of their scholarships. They’re being paid to play; you can say that’s good or bad or somewhere in between but that’s what it is.
I have to imagine a lot of these “NIL” deals are under the table and not being handled the way they were intended.

The value is now based on things outside the control of the university and that is the problem. The value was derived from the tuition and associated student benefits. Now we are talking about cold hard cash from boosters and the community. So the perceived value of a employee in this case is being driven by outside factors. Also I doubt the kids coming in from Alabama and Nebraska are coming in for NIL. That would be apples and oranges. Duce leaving because outside money is a false equivalence to Ingraham being medically dqd and choosing a new school where he can get playing time. I'm assuming you are writing these things emotionally without any logic. That's how it reads anyway.

The people crying that young people are maximizing their value seem to be the ones being emotional.

The biggest thing will show up in 10 years when the majority of the players didn't go pro. Then what kind of education did they bother to get to take them through life. The NCAA basically, can't enforce anything about classes anymore.
The NCAA did such a bang up job enforcing the academic piece in the UNC case.

The NFL is such a superior game to watch because of the salary cap, everyone is under the same set of rules. College athletics are being destroyed by the lack of institutional control and leadership at the top! It’s sad to see what it’s become, hard to care when college athletes have become hired guns pimping themselves out….it’s not fun anymore for the fans.
College athletes at the top level have always been hired guns. The rate they charge has just gone up and gotten more exposed.

Football used to support all the other sports at SU. Basketball has long since replaced it

I wonder what will happen when SU decides it can't afford football anymore.
I think your last sentence is the elephant in the room. There is a reason why Fordham and others who used to be powerhouse college programs are not. The world of college sports evolves and there are casualties at every evolution. This is an arms race - the question is how many schools want to (or will be allowed to) compete in it.

If times are changing, maybe the whole scholarship idea should be scrapped. Let players realize this isn’t just free money. End scholarships and have players pay their own way to school. Schools could provide aide based on what your worth! Have a sliding scale. The five stars have to pay their own way and less if you’re a four star, three star, etc. without college football these players are going nowhere. Let them go out and “earn” NIL money, like it was supposed to be. If they want the big bucks, let them find out what the real world is all about. College athletics was supposed to allow athletes the chance to play and get a free education. Education now means nothing. No degree, then you have to pay back all tuition, including if you leave early for the draft. It’s time the word commitment means something. I don’t want to hear about coaches leaving. People leave for better jobs all the time. Once athletes leave, they can go to any job they want. People say the schools are making all this money off them. They are also giving them the platform to potentially play professionally. They house them, feed them, pay to travel across the country. Put them up in great hotels. Give them all the free gear they want. Free medical services. This stuff is not free. All on top of their scholarships. Life is so tough on these guys.

If times are changing, maybe the whole scholarship idea should be scrapped. Let players realize this isn’t just free money. End scholarships and have players pay their own way to school. Schools could provide aide based on what your worth! Have a sliding scale. The five stars have to pay their own way and less if you’re a four star, three star, etc. without college football these players are going nowhere. Let them go out and “earn” NIL money, like it was supposed to be. If they want the big bucks, let them find out what the real world is all about. College athletics was supposed to allow athletes the chance to play and get a free education. Education now means nothing. No degree, then you have to pay back all tuition, including if you leave early for the draft. It’s time the word commitment means something. I don’t want to hear about coaches leaving. People leave for better jobs all the time. Once athletes leave, they can go to any job they want. People say the schools are making all this money off them. They are also giving them the platform to potentially play professionally. They house them, feed them, pay to travel across the country. Put them up in great hotels. Give them all the free gear they want. Free medical services. This stuff is not free. All on top of their scholarships. Life is so tough on these guys.
i think when Syracuse scores a td, it should be for 9 pts instead of 6.

if we’re going to post unrealistic scenarios, just wanted to add on.

Brilliant move to institute this. Can’t wait to see who leaves next.

We lost our OC and DC. Over the past 20 years, we are one of the worst P5 programs out there.

In the 80s, we weren't a powerhouse.
In the 90s, we weren't a powerhouse.
In the 00s, we weren't a powerhouse.
On and on. We had our moments, we had some awesome runs, but we were never a powerhouse. We were never The U, FSU, etc.

Our issues started long before the NIL and the portal and the waiving of the one year sitting out policy.

We have access to more talent now than we ever have because of the portal. We have two four star QBs in our QB room. We are talking guys that if we got them out of HS this board would have lost its mind.

Do you all think there wasn't payments and nefarious actions before the portal and NIL? Hint, nope.

It's same dang teams in the CFP most years. Think that's a coincidence? Nope.

Do you think SU wasn't partaking in a level of "activity" in the 80s and 90s for football? Please tell me you think the answer was no.

Syracuse’s fanbase has money.

Win the damn bowl and give us a consecutive winning season.

A main ingredient in why we appear non competitive in NIL? We’ve destroyed a past winning culture and the wealthy CNY’er/Alum isnt fully bought it.

The program’s dug its own hole for this. Win or fall further behind. No one said it had to be a reasonable goal.

1) It's funny, in a way the "old system" (i.e. paying players "under the table" with brown bags) had more of a limit on how much a player could make because you couldn't be so egregious that you got caught doing it.

2) Admittedly, I was never a fan of the NIL, but I find it a little ironic that part of the premise of establishing the NIL was because schools were making money off of the players. Yet, in the current environment, schools are making even more money off the players and asking boosters/donors to pay the NIL collectives.

Last edited:
I'm about 99% sure that when NIL was established the NCAA was pretty clear that it shouldn't be used as a recruiting inducement, aka a legalized bag system. It was intended to afford players an opportunity to be compensated for their NIL while they are playing at the school they committed to, or playing at a new school. It was never intended to be used as an inducement for a player to leave one school to play at another school. And that's the primary issue here.

I have no issue with what the players are doing, money talks and there is no enforcement. Best of luck Duce, get that money. But the spirit of NIL was never supposed to be like what happened with the Pitt player going to USC or like with Duce being induced to go to into the portal because he's getting "offers" elsewhere. There shouldn't even be "offers" right now unless it's a person wanting to pay Duce for NIL at Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom