Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

right there with ya, and the realization comes in waves. Like realizing I completely missed the heisman trophy show and only heard about it later. Some comes with age sure, but most of the disinterest is from this with more loss of interest coming because of what's going on currently. I still can't believe I'm going to the Pinstripe bowl, I hardly care and hanging with the crew from here as well as the fine mess folks, its about the only thing I'm looking forward to.
The head trauma and other health-related issues bother me far more than NIL.

Yeah, my point is the SECs and Big 10 schools will have enough money from TV revenue, etc. to continue the facilities race. In addition, the schools are asking boosters to contribute to the NIL. It is two parallel streams that are growing (i.e. tv revenue via schools funding facilities and boosters funding NIL), not funds shifting from facilities to NIL.

Most of the time athletic facilities are paid for by donors.

The head trauma and other health-related issues bother me far more than NIL.
Well then you should probably stop watching all football because those risks are never going away.

The lack of enforcement of what NIL was supposed to provide has just made dropping bags effectively legal and it will permanently ruin what the college game was. If it continues in this direction I will find better things to do with my time.

I’ll be in the dome next year. Without this I have NOTHING. Maybe we can remove names from jerseys and give everyone a different number each game. That may help people forget who isn’t on the team anymore, especially those tuning out during the offseason.

Happy Thursday GIF by MOODMAN

There's less salt in the Pacific Ocean than what one can find in this thread.
I, for one, am filled with emotion for the unfortunate souls who chose to go to an expensive college and took on massive debt. I wish they’d find the perpetrators who forced them to do so and bring them to justice. I also wish we had a state university and community college system that enabled people to get an advanced education at much more favorable costs.

It was definitely better when all the money in college sports went into the pockets of 60 year old administrators, bowl committee members and media executives. I mean, the cattle got to live on the farm for free right?

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to transfer without penalty.

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to get paid for their work.

Be careful what you wish for.
I just wish it would go back to the way it was. NIL used to be called boosters. They gave money and gifts to players and it was against the rules. The portal plays right into this. Players can now go to the highest bidder. How much can us fans take? If Chestnut ends up at Nebraska, do I become a fan of the huskers? College athletics is driving the fans away. Makes me wonder why should I invest my time and money if it all changes year after year. I applaud the players that stay.

The problem is there is no oversight. I'm sure there is tampering galore. This system was never made for the Syracuse’s of the world. We trade our all league player for 2 fliers coming of double acl tears. It's just another way to widen the gap between the halves and have not.
Looking at it backwards

I just wish it would go back to the way it was. NIL used to be called boosters. They gave money and gifts to players and it was against the rules. The portal plays right into this. Players can now go to the highest bidder. How much can us fans take? If Chestnut ends up at Nebraska, do I become a fan of the huskers? College athletics is driving the fans away. Makes me wonder why should I invest my time and money if it all changes year after year. I applaud the players that stay.

Then don't.

If you thought it was better "back in the day", so be it, but it screwed over the players by an order of magnitude.

The fans can take all of it because we have no choice. You don't like it, participate in something else.

We are landing big time players thru the portal this year. Our QB room has two 4 star QBs that we would have died for coming out of HS.

It's working fine and helping us out. This is better for us.

College athletics isn't driving fans away. It was never some bastion of purity, we just liked that we could ignore the stuff behind it.

Most of the time athletic facilities are paid for by donors.

Exactly right. Revenue from TV, bowl games, NCAA tournament, etc. mostly goes into the operating budget and maybe some minor facility upgrades. The big stuff is paid for by donors.

Then don't.

If you thought it was better "back in the day", so be it, but it screwed over the players by an order of magnitude.

The fans can take all of it because we have no choice. You don't like it, participate in something else.

We are landing big time players thru the portal this year. Our QB room has two 4 star QBs that we would have died for coming out of HS.

It's working fine and helping us out. This is better for us.

College athletics isn't driving fans away. It was never some bastion of purity, we just liked that we could ignore the stuff behind it.
Well said.

It’s becoming clear that this new system is better for SU. On balance. We’ll lose some guys, but we’re clearly gaining more.

And morally, players are finally being allowed to act the **exact same way** that coaches and ADs have acted for decades.

College fandom has always been about the name on the front of the jersey and not the back. Athletes have always come and gone through SU, we rooted for the laundry.

Well said.

It’s becoming clear that this new system is better for SU. On balance. We’ll lose some guys, but we’re clearly gaining more.

And morally, players are finally being allowed to act the **exact same way** that coaches and ADs have acted for decades.

College fandom has always been about the name on the front of the jersey and not the back. Athletes have always come and gone through SU, we rooted for the laundry.
The Wild West isn’t a system. Granting players freedom of movement without the penalty of a transfer year was the right thing to do. Kids should have the right to move around if they aren’t being treated fairly or want to find an opportunity for more playing time etc.

However, a “system” where any school can induce a player to transfer from one school to another by paying them quickly becomes the haves Vs have nots and if this continues it will lead to the irrelevance or even destruction of lesser programs. It’s worked ok for Syracuse so far, but that’s been in the early stages of this new system before it started to get exploited like it is now.

Without some enforcement and regulation, schools like Syracuse will 20 years from now effectively be feeder programs to power schools and regularly churning talent up to them, because those schools will always have deeper pockets and can cherry pick who they want, when they want.

That’s the reality of this system as it currently exists. This quickly becomes less about the players making money off their NIL and more about the power programs ability to even further improve their position in putting the highest quality product possible on the field. And maybe you’re ok with that as long as the players have more rights. My fear is that it’s ultimately going to end up giving them less rights in the long run if it leads to less overall opportunities.

But that remains to be seen I guess.

The Wild West isn’t a system. Granting players freedom of movement without the penalty of a transfer year was the right thing to do. Kids should have the right to move around if they aren’t being treated fairly or want to find an opportunity for more playing time etc.

However, a “system” where any school can induce a player to transfer from one school to another by paying them quickly becomes the haves Vs have nots and if this continues it will lead to the irrelevance or even destruction of lesser programs. It’s worked ok for Syracuse so far, but that’s been in the early stages of this new system before it started to get exploited like it is now.

Without some enforcement and regulation, schools like Syracuse will 20 years from now effectively be feeder programs to power schools and regularly churning talent up to them, because those schools will always have deeper pockets and can cherry pick who they want, when they want.

That’s the reality of this system as it currently exists. This quickly becomes less about the players making money off their NIL and more about the power programs ability to even further improve their position in putting the highest quality product possible on the field. And maybe you’re ok with that as long as the players have more rights. My fear is that it’s ultimately going to end up giving them less rights in the long run if it leads to less overall opportunities.

But that remains to be seen I guess.

"without the penalty of a transfer year"

You said it yourself. System makes gajillions of dollars off of players. Penalizes them for improving their standing. It's a penalty by your own definition.

PENALTY.

You said it yourself. System makes gajillions of dollars off of players. Penalizes them for improving their standing. It's a penalty by your own definition.

PENALTY.

If they are being compensated, why can't a system be worked out that restricts movement in some ways? This exists in literally every professional sport on the planet. If we are compensating for services (which is not a bad thing), then why are rules and regulations around that a bad thing? I'd imagine this eventually ends one day with college athletes being compensated directly forming a union for collective bargaining, where you'll see these things hashed out.

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to transfer without penalty.

Fans demanded that college players be allowed to get paid for their work.

Be careful what you wish for.
Bingo!

Fans want an expanded playoff. Wait till they see the fallout from that, its coming!

Everything has consequences. Intended or unintended. It is a total domino effect.

I think a lot of fans (especially fans from a certain generation) thought kids were going to get a part time job at a local business, or painting houses to make a hundred or couple hundred bucks a week, maybe take their girl out on a date and such. Or had some vision of stay true to you school and now you can get a job and make a little money in your free time between class and practice.

Yeah that was never happening. It was going to be, pay me and in-between my 12 hour video game playing marathon I will send out a tweet of me wearing a t-shirt of your business. And oh yeah never bother me again once the check clears...lol. Unless I threaten to leave in that case send me another check. Oh wait, this other guy I don't know is saying he will give me XXX amount of $ to transfer to that school, yeah ok I will do that too.

I think fans have to stop looking at college football and basketball as "college sports". This is now officially minor league sports where everyone has no contracts and is always a free agent.

And it isn't going to change and go back to the way it was. There are no magic rules coming to slow this down. This is the new reality. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Some schools will thrive in this environment. Other's won't have a chance of survival.

If they are being compensated, why can't a system be worked out that restricts movement in some ways? This exists in literally every professional sport on the planet. If we are compensating for services (which is not a bad thing), then why are rules and regulations around that a bad thing? I'd imagine this eventually ends one day with college athletes being compensated directly forming a union for collective bargaining, where you'll see these things hashed out.

They have it, a second portal transfer triggers a sit out year.

NIL deals have stipulations to meet within activities, timing, etc.

There are rules around NIL. Granted, they are probably broken, just like there is rampant tampering in NBA free agency, but there has always been cheating. That ain't new.

You want them to stay? I guess you can try to put a clause in if a coach leaves he can't take players with him as Jake noted in his idea, but another team just won't apply that same clause.

You want NIL deals to be contingent on a full three year fulfillment? Fine, but some other team just won't apply it.

I can't stress this enough, I'm fine with the portal as is. It works both ways. We have way more access to talent than ever before. The CFP has basically had the same four teams in it in some capacity since its inception. It's not like all of a sudden we won't win a title.

Look at who is coming in for us for next year. Look at our QB room. If we had gotten Garrett and then CDRW out HS, this board would have collectively said we were going to win a national title.

This is good for us.

I agree with you to an extent but once SCOTUS sets a precedence, it is what it is. I don’t understand how someone could walk away from SU, I wish I went there. I also don’t understand how players don’t get as emotionally attached to the program they play for as us fans do.

But again, it is what it is. Everyone is different.
Nobody is emotionally attached anymore, everyone views it as a job. It's the "ME ME ME" era. Pat McAfee once did a segment on what motivates athletes. Everyone has a "WHY". Why they show up, why they put out effort. Why they try. Why they play. For some its to be rich and famous. For others its to be the best they can be and to make a living so they can just retire at some point and not have to work again. For others they chase greatness and want to be the best player of all time and go down as "THE GOAT" in a given sport.

As a fan, you can't ever question an athletes "WHY". Every player has a different "WHY" and who is anybody to say that person's "WHY" isn't valid?

The vast majority of fans live in a fantasy world where they expect a player to live, breath, give blood and sweat to (for example) the Buffalo Bills (or pick any team, college or pro). But to that athlete the Buffalo Bills is a means to an end. And that team can cut them at any time so if a player's "WHY" is "SELFISH" who cares. And as a fan who cares "WHY" that player is showing up and playing hard. The fact is he is and that's all that matters. If he doesn't love or have some connection to the school or team he plays for, that shouldn't matter. Punch in, Punch out...go home. That's how it is for a lot of athletes.

Teams/Schools use athletes. Athletes use Teams/Schools.

It's a two way street that some fans can't wrap their head around. Technology and social media have put a spot light on it in recent years though as players are more in the public eye 24/7 and fans have a peak behind the curtain.

This stuff will shake out and settle down.

1.8M for a single hs senior is unsustainable.

this is not a world where there is a large number of people that have unlimited resources to pay 18 yr olds to come play football at their school

the bigger long term impact is kids have the ability to improve their likelihood of getting on the field. Talent will spread out up and down

as long as teams have the same scholarship and add caps, factories won’t be able to hoard players as depth guys.

Bingo!

Fans want an expanded playoff. Wait till they see the fallout from that, its coming!

Everything has consequences. Intended or unintended. It is a total domino effect.

I think a lot of fans (especially fans from a certain generation) thought kids were going to get a part time job at a local business, or painting houses to make a hundred or couple hundred bucks a week, maybe take their girl out on a date and such. Or had some vision of stay true to you school and now you can get a job and make a little money in your free time between class and practice.

Yeah that was never happening. It was going to be, pay me and in-between my 12 hour video game playing marathon I will send out a tweet of me wearing a t-shirt of your business. And oh yeah never bother me again once the check clears...lol. Unless I threaten to leave in that case send me another check. Oh wait, this other guy I don't know is saying he will give me XXX amount of $ to transfer to that school, yeah ok I will do that too.

I think fans have to stop looking at college football and basketball as "college sports". This is now officially minor league sports where everyone has no contracts and is always a free agent.

And it isn't going to change and go back to the way it was. There are no magic rules coming to slow this down. This is the new reality. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Some schools will thrive in this environment. Other's won't have a chance of survival.
It was always minor league sports.

Go watch the SMU or Miami football docs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom