Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

So in NIL world, what entity provides the player with a 1099?
It will be interesting if/when the IRS/Govt gets involved. There is a lot of money going around, but not a lot is known about the NILs. Even more so, a lot of these sources aren’t really well known (I.e. “have faces attached to them”). I wouldn’t be surprised to see some negative stories about some sources/affiliations to the NIL down the road

Last edited:

I hope these kids hire good accountants, especially the ones making bigger money. Don't want to get chased down by the IRS a few years down the road.

All I know is i’m slowly drifting away as a fan. It’s not a cold turkey quit, more like no issues playing golf during noon away games, fall asleep on couch for 9pm start basketball games. All unheard of 20:years ago. Maybe i’m getting older and sports matter less in grand scheme. Who knows.
right there with ya, and the realization comes in waves. Like realizing I completely missed the heisman trophy show and only heard about it later. Some comes with age sure, but most of the disinterest is from this with more loss of interest coming because of what's going on currently. I still can't believe I'm going to the Pinstripe bowl, I hardly care and hanging with the crew from here as well as the fine mess folks, its about the only thing I'm looking forward to.

Yes. I'm not 70 yet, as you quipped above to another poster, but there are elements of that nostalgia that are inextricably tied to my enjoyment of the game. And it hit me tonight that my game is gone. I'm out, at least in the sense of switching to casual fandom. I'll pay some attention if the team gets into the top 25, but I'm not following the offseason garbage, and it's time to be done with college football generally, in the same way that I abandoned college basketball years ago. Better things to do with my time.

I've written about how I hate NIL because it's essentially impossible to implement in its true, reasonable, justifiable form. Others have talked about the metastasis between "NIL" and the loosening of transfer rules. Blecch. I don't have a team to cheer for any more, in the sense that matters to me as a fan. And it can't be fixed. So I'm out.

Addison at Pitt was a jackhole for bailing on his team last year. Extrapolate as you see fit.

If I wanted to watch pro football I'd watch the NFL. But even there, free agency killed a lot of my interest in that game.

Sports is tribal. Too much mobility destroys the sense of tribe, and my investment and interest.
if I could like this 100x I would, good stuff my friend.

The NFL is such a superior game to watch because of the salary cap, everyone is under the same set of rules. College athletics are being destroyed by the lack of institutional control and leadership at the top! It’s sad to see what it’s become, hard to care when college athletes have become hired guns pimping themselves out….it’s not fun anymore for the fans.
The NFL is actually more stable from a fan perspective. At least rookies come in with contracts for several years and can't just shop themselves every offseason. I went from an NFL first to a College Football first about 20 years ago. At this rate, I might be going back in the other direction.

It will be interesting if/when the IRS/Govt gets involved. There is a lot of money going around, but not a lot is known about the NILs. Even more so, a lot of these sources aren’t really well known (I.e. “have faces attached to them”). I wouldn’t be surprised to see some negative stories about some sources/affiliations to the NIL down the road
87000 new IRS agents are going to get a lot of money from the Athletes, and the people who paid them.
In a sense that's great, the brown bags never got taxed. Now the government gets a lot of new money.

Yes. I'm not 70 yet, as you quipped above to another poster, but there are elements of that nostalgia that are inextricably tied to my enjoyment of the game. And it hit me tonight that my game is gone. I'm out, at least in the sense of switching to casual fandom. I'll pay some attention if the team gets into the top 25, but I'm not following the offseason garbage, and it's time to be done with college football generally, in the same way that I abandoned college basketball years ago. Better things to do with my time.

I've written about how I hate NIL because it's essentially impossible to implement in its true, reasonable, justifiable form. Others have talked about the metastasis between "NIL" and the loosening of transfer rules. Blecch. I don't have a team to cheer for any more, in the sense that matters to me as a fan. And it can't be fixed. So I'm out.

Addison at Pitt was a jackhole for bailing on his team last year. Extrapolate as you see fit.

If I wanted to watch pro football I'd watch the NFL. But even there, free agency killed a lot of my interest in that game.

Sports is tribal. Too much mobility destroys the sense of tribe, and my investment and interest.
I hear you. I am not to the point of quitting on college football yet but the level of enjoyment has definitely taken a hit.

Like you, I think I get at least as much from the social aspects of SU football as actually attending the games. The tailgating, the pre season anticipation, the post game breakdowns, the recruiting season discussions, etc. This board has been a godsend on that front.

But there is no question. The more turnover that happens, the less attractive following Syracuse football becomes.

We all wish the players were playing for the name on the uniform, and that they truly loved the school and the fanbase.

And some do.

But to many players , playing football is clearly is a means to an end. These players act accordingly.

Hence, they will change their college choice at the drop of a hat (provided there is money in it). Or transfer at the first opportunity if they are not projected to start or if they might make a few more dollars in NIL money elsewhere.

I can't blame them for this. College sports is a business. Acting in their self interest is to be expected.

I understand all this, but it exposes this illusion I choose to project on Syracuse athletes (that they love the school) as a farce. Hard to convince yourself many players care about the school or the fans these days.

Not much of a pro sports guy because I don't greatly enjoy watching millionaires clearly playing only for money. Looks like the college kids are doing the same thing, only usually for less money.

I hope the kids moving all over the place make a lot of money and that it all works out for them in the end. It would be nice to have someone clearly benefit from the changes down the road.

If times are changing, maybe the whole scholarship idea should be scrapped. Let players realize this isn’t just free money. End scholarships and have players pay their own way to school. Schools could provide aide based on what your worth! Have a sliding scale. The five stars have to pay their own way and less if you’re a four star, three star, etc. without college football these players are going nowhere. Let them go out and “earn” NIL money, like it was supposed to be. If they want the big bucks, let them find out what the real world is all about. College athletics was supposed to allow athletes the chance to play and get a free education. Education now means nothing. No degree, then you have to pay back all tuition, including if you leave early for the draft. It’s time the word commitment means something. I don’t want to hear about coaches leaving. People leave for better jobs all the time. Once athletes leave, they can go to any job they want. People say the schools are making all this money off them. They are also giving them the platform to potentially play professionally. They house them, feed them, pay to travel across the country. Put them up in great hotels. Give them all the free gear they want. Free medical services. This stuff is not free. All on top of their scholarships. Life is so tough on these guys.

Plenty of students go to college and have to pay their own way or at least most of it or have to borrow. Hell I know a couple people that have $200,000 debt. Why not athletes?

i think when Syracuse scores a td, it should be for 9 pts instead of 6.

if we’re going to post unrealistic scenarios, just wanted to add on.
I don’t think he meant just Su do away with scholies. He meant the whole system. So everyone would get 9 pts for a TD.

My understanding is that the “database” that is used to track athletes NIL will give the athlete a 1099. That is if the NIL opportunity is put into the system like the Fine Mess did. No idea about the outright giving of money to a recruit.

1.8 Million for a 5* player and 800K a year thereafter. Good luck.

Eye opening article. I love this Ohio State fans' reaction over the athletic departments $250 million in revenue asking fans to donate to the NIL fund.

I don’t think he meant just Su do away with scholies. He meant the whole system. So everyone would get 9 pts for a TD.
Yeah but my school won’t do away with scholarships. So now I have one up on you. Now what?

Eye opening article. I love this Ohio State fans' reaction over the athletic departments $250 million in revenue asking fans to donate to the NIL fund.

THX, that's a good read.

Yeah but my school won’t do away with scholarships. So now I have one up on you. Now what?
For this fan, "now what" is I have one foot out the door-
NIL $$$ and Portal Pounding initiatives overshadow the enjoyment of following recruiting, athletic accomplishments of players and success of teams as the main focus of D1 sports fans.

If that's the long-term New Reality or New Product, then I won't whine about it-
I'll just exit, close the door, and fill my time with other interests.

NIL $$$ and Portal Pounding initiatives overshadow the enjoyment of following recruiting, athletic accomplishments of players and success of teams as the main focus of D1 sports fans.

If that's the long-term New Reality or New Product, then I won't whine about it-
be the Tampa Bay Rays of baseball, and find a way to win with a small cap strategy

Yep and I respect that.

It’s not really new reality though. I can find 10 plus year old posts on this board that saying the sport is dying over conference shuffling. Will we make the acc, Lol UConn is dead, etc etc.

The money is just shifting from the facilities to the players

Facts. That’s not NIL and I don’t care what anyone else says. It’s paying players to play for your school and hopefully perform. Pay for play. And I have to believe eventually there has to be a saturation point for all these big boosters, donors, corporations, trustees etc to give millions every year.

Yep and I respect that.

It’s not really new reality though. I can find 10 plus year old posts on this board that saying the sport is dying over conference shuffling. Will we make the acc, Lol UConn is dead, etc etc.

money isn't shifting. it's facilities AND NIL now. Schools haven't contributed a dime to the NIL and they are making more than ever from TV.

That’s a true statement as far as donations. I made that point before. So with the shift how do schools keep up to the joneses with facilities.

money isn't shifting. it's facilities AND NIL now. Schools haven't contributed a dime to the NIL and they are making more than ever from TV.
Donations to the school will shift. Not the schools money.

Donations to the school will shift. Not the schools money.
Yeah, my point is the SECs and Big 10 schools will have enough money from TV revenue, etc. to continue the facilities race. In addition, the schools are asking boosters to contribute to the NIL. It is two parallel streams that are growing (i.e. tv revenue via schools funding facilities and boosters funding NIL), not funds shifting from facilities to NIL.

Let’s ask this question

What the hell do you all think happened before NIL?

The back in my day type talk, how you’re done watching, it’s unfair, etc… did you just not pay attention to this stuff before?

Or is it because Syracuse Football didn’t adapt quick enough in the 90s to create continued success. Here we sit in 2022 going to only our second bowl in the last 8 or so years, and since we’re this type of program, we think NIL/Portal era is unfair.

Returning starters almost never transferred. The guys who left were almost always the backups who probably weren’t going to play much anyway.

It’s tough as a fan when your team’s best players leave. Definitely not as fun to follow if the guys you like watching the most leave to go play at a different school as soon as they get good.

Yep and I respect that.

The $$$ aspect of it is less of a concern -what really upsets me is players bolting to abandon their team before a bowl game.
I'd prefer the good times -now apparently lost:
The fun bowl hype and bowl feel-good topics are now replaced with who bolted the team, who's going to bolt the team, who's getting paid what, which programs/boosters are killing it with NIL, etc.

Loyalty breeds loyalty. Won't get paid, but I can bolt fandom as fast as players are for their NIL $$$.
No idea if there may be enough similar sentiment to impact programs, or if that matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom