Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

Bingo!

Fans want an expanded playoff. Wait till they see the fallout from that, its coming!

Everything has consequences. Intended or unintended. It is a total domino effect.

I think a lot of fans (especially fans from a certain generation) thought kids were going to get a part time job at a local business, or painting houses to make a hundred or couple hundred bucks a week, maybe take their girl out on a date and such. Or had some vision of stay true to you school and now you can get a job and make a little money in your free time between class and practice.

Yeah that was never happening. It was going to be, pay me and in-between my 12 hour video game playing marathon I will send out a tweet of me wearing a t-shirt of your business. And oh yeah never bother me again once the check clears...lol. Unless I threaten to leave in that case send me another check. Oh wait, this other guy I don't know is saying he will give me XXX amount of $ to transfer to that school, yeah ok I will do that too.

I think fans have to stop looking at college football and basketball as "college sports". This is now officially minor league sports where everyone has no contracts and is always a free agent.

And it isn't going to change and go back to the way it was. There are no magic rules coming to slow this down. This is the new reality. The toothpaste is out of the tube. Some schools will thrive in this environment. Other's won't have a chance of survival.
Man, this is an incredibly cynical perspective of college athletes.

"12 hour video game marathon"?!

That's remarkably condescending, and totally inaccurate.

The Wild West isn’t a system. Granting players freedom of movement without the penalty of a transfer year was the right thing to do. Kids should have the right to move around if they aren’t being treated fairly or want to find an opportunity for more playing time etc.

However, a “system” where any school can induce a player to transfer from one school to another by paying them quickly becomes the haves Vs have nots and if this continues it will lead to the irrelevance or even destruction of lesser programs. It’s worked ok for Syracuse so far, but that’s been in the early stages of this new system before it started to get exploited like it is now.

Without some enforcement and regulation, schools like Syracuse will 20 years from now effectively be feeder programs to power schools and regularly churning talent up to them, because those schools will always have deeper pockets and can cherry pick who they want, when they want.

That’s the reality of this system as it currently exists. This quickly becomes less about the players making money off their NIL and more about the power programs ability to even further improve their position in putting the highest quality product possible on the field. And maybe you’re ok with that as long as the players have more rights. My fear is that it’s ultimately going to end up giving them less rights in the long run if it leads to less overall opportunities.

But that remains to be seen I guess.
It'll get figured out. No one involved loves the "system" as it has developed over the past 24 months.

Charlie Baker was a great hire for the NCAA. He'll build consensus and get things done. There will be some common sense rules put in place, sooner rather than later.

People love to freak out and predict demise. It's human nature. But it'll be OK, Syracuse isn't going to be a "feeder school" or whatever.

I mean, the previous system had an entrenched program caste system as well.

If people want parity they should really follow the pros. College has never been about that. Like, ever.

Man, this is an incredibly cynical perspective of college athletes.

"12 hour video game marathon"?!

That's remarkably condescending, and totally inaccurate.
Go on Twitch then get back to me

It was always minor league sports.

Go watch the SMU or Miami football docs.
It hasn't always been minor league sports. This is a new level where its all out in the open and this are far more rampant now than ever.

You are citing 2 examples of the past 40+ years of extreme cases. Yes, players were getting paid under the table in recent times. But the money isn't what it is now and it isn't entire programs/rosters earning a salary.

By your logic nothing has changed nowadays when everything has completely changed!

They have it, a second portal transfer triggers a sit out year.

NIL deals have stipulations to meet within activities, timing, etc.

There are rules around NIL. Granted, they are probably broken, just like there is rampant tampering in NBA free agency, but there has always been cheating. That ain't new.

You want them to stay? I guess you can try to put a clause in if a coach leaves he can't take players with him as Jake noted in his idea, but another team just won't apply that same clause.

You want NIL deals to be contingent on a full three year fulfillment? Fine, but some other team just won't apply it.

I can't stress this enough, I'm fine with the portal as is. It works both ways. We have way more access to talent than ever before. The CFP has basically had the same four teams in it in some capacity since its inception. It's not like all of a sudden we won't win a title.

Look at who is coming in for us for next year. Look at our QB room. If we had gotten Garrett and then CDRW out HS, this board would have collectively said we were going to win a national title.

This is good for us.
I agree with you. Question though, how long will it be good for us? The second tier/also ran P5 programs currently benefitting (,like us) will all need to keep upping their effort$. How sustainable is that for us?

Yes, players were getting paid under the table in recent times. But the money isn't what it is now and it isn't entire programs/rosters earning a salary.
How do you know?

I saw a bunch of average players driving super nice cars at Cuse when I went there.

It hasn't always been minor league sports. This is a new level where its all out in the open and this are far more rampant now than ever.

You are citing 2 examples of the past 40+ years of extreme cases. Yes, players were getting paid under the table in recent times. But the money isn't what it is now and it isn't entire programs/rosters earning a salary.

By your logic nothing has changed nowadays when everything has completely changed!

It was systemic. Do you not think Syracuse did its part?

Honest question.

Because if you don't, that's not accurate.

It was always hysterical hitting up Acropolis at 2am in the mid-90s and seeing half the hoops team drive up in expensive cars to get a slice. I'm sure that was all on the up and up.

Again, we'll never have the budget that an OSU or Georgia has, but you know what? We never have.

But we can get a lot of talent thru portal that will be a HUGE benefit to us. HUGE.

We can be a second tier school (ie - 7-9 win reg season team) and successful in the new world order.

Looking forward to the "playing for the fans" and "for the love of the game" and, "it's not about the money" malarkey to trickle down to "playing for the name on the front of jersey" and the like. :rolleyes:

We lost our OC and DC. Over the past 20 years, we are one of the worst P5 programs out there.

In the 80s, we weren't a powerhouse.
In the 90s, we weren't a powerhouse.
In the 00s, we weren't a powerhouse.
On and on. We had our moments, we had some awesome runs, but we were never a powerhouse. We were never The U, FSU, etc.

Our issues started long before the NIL and the portal and the waiving of the one year sitting out policy.

We have access to more talent now than we ever have because of the portal. We have two four star QBs in our QB room. We are talking guys that if we got them out of HS this board would have lost its mind.

Do you all think there wasn't payments and nefarious actions before the portal and NIL? Hint, nope.

It's same dang teams in the CFP most years. Think that's a coincidence? Nope.

Do you think SU wasn't partaking in a level of "activity" in the 80s and 90s for football? Please tell me you think the answer was no.
The big difference with these portal kids we would never have a shot out at HS is that they are transferring mostly because they were either cut by their prior school or are looking for playing time they weren't getting at the place they were coming from. It's almost better getting the kids who are transferring up from FCS schools because they are the best of the best.

$42,622,806 that's what Syracuse Football made. Players don't have to pay the overinflated rate of $82,500 to go to school times that by 85 the school is "out" $7,012,500. That's a pretty nice investment the school made.
These are not normal students, they sacrifice their bodies to allow the schools to make money on top of money. Why does them getting free tuition have anything to do with them making money off of themselves? Should students with Youtube channels not get paid? Should students that work not get paid?
I've never said they are selflessly running out on the field and yes schools are extorting them for free tuition. "You come play football here, we give you free tuition. In turn we will make 6-8 times what we "paid" you in tuition cost"

Let the damn kids earn money like anyone else.
The “school” isn’t out anything. The AD pays that money to the school for the athletes to attend.

The big difference with these portal kids we would never have a shot out at HS is that they are transferring mostly because they were either cut by their prior school or are looking for playing time they weren't getting at the place they were coming from. It's almost better getting the kids who are transferring up from FCS schools because they are the best of the best.
It’s good to get both. Are you saying a get an SEC or Big 10 player that wants more playing that was a high 4 star out of high school is a bad thing? Are you saying they are all scrubs?

So we shouldn’t have taken Garrett Shrader?

They had $10 / month car leases which some people still feel the need to smack JB about

Believe it was $19/month but you may be right. That’s not the case anymore and hasn’t been for a long time.

NIL is pay for play with a fig leaf. The combination of NIL and portal free agency and early NFL/NBA entry is unsustainable beyond a fairly short period of time; even heavy hitter donors are not going to pony up beyond a few cycles of the current chaos. Every major professional league, every one, has limits on player movement/compensation.To think that similar limits, whether by contract or (ironically) by collective bargaining with a players union, aren’t coming is unrealistic

Oh I know. Pet peeve when people throw around the early 90s not knowing it was an attack on local business guys for free spaghetti and those leases. The horror.
Wasn’t the early 90s and wasn’t only basketball team.

At least, from my personal experience

It’s good to get both. Are you saying a get an SEC or Big 10 player that wants more playing that was a high 4 star out of high school is a bad thing? Are you saying they are all scrubs?
I'm saying I would rather get the Jared Verse, Anjae Cornelius, and even the Isiah Johnson’s of the world who dominated at their level of play and are almost guaranteed contributors over guys from
elite schools who are coming off multiple Injuries, were pushed out, or never played consistently at a higher level. I'm not saying their all scrubs but I bet the players moving up are far more successful than those “moving down “. This isn't a good thing for Syracuse.

So we shouldn’t have taken Garrett Shrader?
You mean the person half the board rips to shreds? I'm not one of those people but he has been the 1 successful case. Plus I never said not to do it, but we're always going to be on the losing end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom