Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Boy, this NIL thing is really endearing to fans

It benefits way more than big time schools. Lots of athletes all over the place are getting compensated for who they are.
Not fairly. NFL players get 48% of revenue. So explain to me how any division 1 player regardless of school is getting close to fair market value . Just because one gymnast is earning life changing money, or a field hockey player might be getting 10k for advertising or a lacrosse player might have gotten a new car doesn't mean the system is not set up to benefit the football factory schools

What does paying a kid $200,000 to come play for your school have to do with name, image and likeness? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.
Absolutely. For 90% plus of players NIL value is a joke; it’s (a lot) less than the value of their scholarships. They’re being paid to play; you can say that’s good or bad or somewhere in between but that’s what it is.

And some ran to it with arms wide open because what's better for the student-athletes that have historically been criminally wronged is more important than fans not liking something good for them.
That's one opinion.

The courts didn't create the system. They were not involved in anything other than saying NIL was legal based on the challenge by the NCAA. The court ruled there shouldn't be artificial limits on education based benefits. With that said I think it's a stretch to say sports are a part of education therefore students should get bags of cash to attend a school for sports.
Sports are a part of education at the vast majority of schools. Club sports, intramural, varsity at lower levels. It's just not at the higher levels. Of course, we're part of the problem. If we didn't care so much about the school we went to or grew up close to, television networks and out of their mind boosters wouldn't throw obscene amounts of money at it, and make it impossible for big time schools to keep themselves from chasing after.

The courts didn't create the system. They were not involved in anything other than saying NIL was legal based on the challenge by the NCAA. The court ruled there shouldn't be artificial limits on education based benefits. With that said I think it's a stretch to say sports are a part of education therefore students should get bags of cash to attend a school for sports.
Whom would you like to change policy to "fix" this then?

The NCAA? They have no power anymore.
The schools? The Power 2 conference schools want it.
The players? No chance.

I'm fine with the general opinion that "this is bad". Now put some reality and substance behind it. Otherwise, it just stinks of crying about nostalgia. It's not going back to what you used to watch.

The players? No chance.

I'm fine with the general opinion that "this is bad". Now put some reality and substance behind it. Otherwise, it just stinks of crying about nostalgia. It's not going back to what you used to watch.
The biggest thing will show up in 10 years when the majority of the players didn't go pro. Then what kind of education did they bother to get to take them through life. The NCAA basically, can't enforce anything about classes anymore.

$42,622,806 that's what Syracuse Football made. Players don't have to pay the overinflated rate of $82,500 to go to school times that by 85 the school is "out" $7,012,500. That's a pretty nice investment the school made.

I understand the point you’re trying to make, but your math is grossly off. Add in the amount of additional expenses the school has pertaining to football coaches, training staff, equipment, transportation, AD positions, Dome staff and costs, etc.

Football is not the big moneymaker at Cuse that everyone thinks it is.

We live in a capitalistic society. It really isn't up to you are me to say what is the right way. You can earn this much but not that much. And let's face it, there was a lot of paying kids to go play at your school long before NIL. It's just out in the open more now.

In addition to these schools opening up their pockets, the NCAA as an organization is TEEMING with money and greed. And realistically, there is less and less of a need for them anymore. Make them start paying salaries to these kids. After all, without them, there truly is no need for the NCAA.

We are truly witnessing the metamorphosis of college athletics into minor league sports. There is no real difference other than the ”student-athletes” probably have it better than free agents, minor league and D-league players. After all, they do still get to enjoy that college social life outside of sports (albeit limited).

In addition to these schools opening up their pockets, the NCAA as an organization is TEEMING with money and greed. And realistically, there is less and less of a need for them anymore.

We are truly witnessing the metamorphosis of college athletics into minor league sports. There is no real difference other than the ”student-athletes” probably have it better than free agents, minor league and D-league players. After all, they do still get to enjoy that college social life outside of sports (albeit limited).
And minor league players can be traded at a moment's notice. In some ways college players have more power.

I'm not anti-NIL nor anti-transfer portal, per se, but man it's the Wild West out there currently. There needs to be some semblance of regulation related to these things. Every pro sports league has a salary cap and/or luxury tax, rules/restrictions on free agency/contracts and other policies/regulations that at least attempt to keep the playing field relatively even. The former system was not sustainable, but neither is the current one.

Stop watching then.

Based on the TV deals, you are in the minority.

fwiw, I don't love it. But it is reality and its not changing. The courts made their decision

You didn’t address a thing I said. And what am I in the minority of? Even you don’t like it. Lol.

The NFL is such a superior game to watch because of the salary cap, everyone is under the same set of rules. College athletics are being destroyed by the lack of institutional control and leadership at the top! It’s sad to see what it’s become, hard to care when college athletes have become hired guns pimping themselves out….it’s not fun anymore for the fans.

Absolutely. For 90% plus of players NIL value is a joke; it’s (a lot) less than the value of their scholarships. They’re being paid to play; you can say that’s good or bad or somewhere in between but that’s what it is.

Absolutely it’s play for pay. Amazing how many can’t see that and hide behind the term NIL.

You didn’t address a thing I said. And what am I in the minority of? Even you don’t like it. Lol.
What’s there to address?

I’m reacting to reality. A bunch of 70 year olds like yourself are reacting to your sense of nostalgia.

Things change. It is what it is.

The players? No chance.

Anyone with any ideas?

What’s there to address?

I’m reacting to reality. A bunch of 70 year olds like yourself are reacting to your sense of nostalgia.

LOL. You’re just talking in circles and nothing about what I posted. What am I in the minority about? You’re confused. You even agreed with me.

I understand the point you’re trying to make, but your math is grossly off. Add in the amount of additional expenses the school has pertaining to football coaches, training staff, equipment, transportation, AD positions, Dome staff and costs, etc.

Football is not the big moneymaker at Cuse that everyone thinks it is.
Football used to support all the other sports at SU. Basketball has long since replaced it

I wonder what will happen when SU decides it can't afford football anymore.

What’s there to address?

Anyone with any ideas?
Yes. I'm not 70 yet, as you quipped above to another poster, but there are elements of that nostalgia that are inextricably tied to my enjoyment of the game. And it hit me tonight that my game is gone. I'm out, at least in the sense of switching to casual fandom. I'll pay some attention if the team gets into the top 25, but I'm not following the offseason garbage, and it's time to be done with college football generally, in the same way that I abandoned college basketball years ago. Better things to do with my time.

I've written about how I hate NIL because it's essentially impossible to implement in its true, reasonable, justifiable form. Others have talked about the metastasis between "NIL" and the loosening of transfer rules. Blecch. I don't have a team to cheer for any more, in the sense that matters to me as a fan. And it can't be fixed. So I'm out.

Addison at Pitt was a jackhole for bailing on his team last year. Extrapolate as you see fit.

If I wanted to watch pro football I'd watch the NFL. But even there, free agency killed a lot of my interest in that game.

Sports is tribal. Too much mobility destroys the sense of tribe, and my investment and interest.

The NFL is such a superior game to watch because of the salary cap, everyone is under the same set of rules. College athletics are being destroyed by the lack of institutional control and leadership at the top! It’s sad to see what it’s become, hard to care when college athletes have become hired guns pimping themselves out….it’s not fun anymore for the fans.
A college athlete union might be a vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom