Brandon's senior season... | Syracusefan.com

Brandon's senior season...

MyMeloMyMan

All Conference
Shooting 42% from the floor and 29% from 3.

How would you rate his performance thus far? Outside of two big games, he's been a bit dissapointing to say the least.

In our Big East losses Triche is shooting 30% (18/60) and 15% from 3 (4/27).

I'd give him a C for the year. He won us the Louisville game and was really good SHU, but overall he's been a big problem when we lose.

Shooting 42% from the floor and 29% from 3.

How would you rate his performance thus far? Outside of two big games, he's been a bit dissapointing to say the least.
Unfortunately, I think everyone is still waiting for the light switch to turn on. I, for one, thought he was turning the corner and was going to have a great finish to his career. He showed very little aggressiveness on Saturday.

I would give him a B. He's pretty much playing to his abilities, can't fault him for people wanting him to be something that he's not.

he was simply unable to locate lisa spitz on the perimeter the other night.

Spitz_Trish.jpg

Have we won all these years in spite of BT starting...or because of BT starting?
He is what he is. A solid role player who's good defensively and can usually hit an open jumpshot. We needed him to be the guy this year and he's not that type of player. He's better off as a 4th scoring option than a 1st.

One of my pet pieves with Brandon is his "out to lunch" look on the court. After four years he still doesn't know how to fill lanes and really run the floor. Early in the game yesterday, MCW was pushing the ball and Brandon was just jogging down the right side of the court. He needs to sprint to fill the lanes or veer to the corner so the defense has to make a decision to guard him or MCW. Boeheim actually said something to him. Once in a while someone needs to rip a new one to Brandon and wake him up. There have been numerous times this year when the opposing team may be pressuring MCW in the backcourt and Brandon is totally oblivious of what's going on. He just jogs down the court with his back to the play. You should learn this in modified basketball. I think he's a great kid, but he has been given way too much slack with this coaching staff. He is who is is and he's not going to change at this point. He's been way too inconsistent for a four year starter.

C+

I wanted Brandon to be the consistent senior with all-around skills, an "Alice's Restaurant" type player who could get you what you wanted to help the team win the game. Instead he's been what Vitale calls a "Dow Joneser". You can forgive that in a sophomore like MCW, not a senior like Brandon.

I guess he'll go down and end up as a top 20-25 guard in SU history...just below Devo and a few others.

Its funny that people think of Devo as out of control...Triche as under control, yet their shooting percentage from the floor is the same..and Devo was 4% better from deep.

Brandon is what he is a good 3rd guard, he has started all three years but played different amounts of time. As a freshmen he was 3rd in minutes behind Andy and Scoop, we went 30-5. As a sophomore he played almost as much as scoop, and twice as much as Dion, we went 27-8 out in 2nd game of tournament. Last year back to 3rd in minutes behind Scoop, and Dion we went 34-3. This year he is back to playing almost the whole game we are 22-5. He is a nice role player , not a star, can't expect anymore then that from Brandon.

Brandon is what he is a good 3rd guard, he has started all three years but played different amounts of time. As a freshmen he was 3rd in minutes behind Andy and Scoop, we went 30-5. As a sophomore he played almost as much as scoop, and twice as much as Dion, we went 27-8 out in 2nd game of tournament. Last year back to 3rd in minutes behind Scoop, and Dion we went 34-3. This year he is back to playing almost the whole game we are 22-5. He is a nice role player , not a star, can't expect anymore then that from Brandon.

It's all Dion's fault for leaving early. ;)

I disagree - Brandon has the tools to be a very good college player. Maybe he doesn't have next level athleticism and quickness, but for college level he is quite talented. He has great strength for a guard. he has nice form on his J (when he sets and doesn't rush), he can use his strength to penetrate and finish. His handle is certainly at least adequate for college level. I have always said the problem with Brandon is above the shoulders. He sometimes lacks confidence and when he doesn't have things going his way, he doesn't figure out what he can do in a given game; hence, the inconsistency. Yesterday, eg, he should have adjusted early and tried to get to the hole strong & then work his game back outside from there.

His demeanor on court is often sad/serious. Very seldom does he smile or laugh. As has been discussed before, his attitude has been his biggest demon. He is the only one who can confront the thoughts in his head and change them. I wish he had done that while in school. He seems to be a decent, good hearted, and hard working person, both on the court and off. <sigh>

I don't think he's gotten much better than he was as a frosh. His shooting numbers were so much better early in his career. Some of that can be due him being a 22 mpg guy with better players around him, but you can argue that he was what he was going to be as a frosh. His handle hasn't exactly improved, nor has his ability to finish in traffic. He gives us the same glimpses of talent, yet never seems capable of putting it all together. I guess that can all be attributed to the mental aspect of the game...

It's all Dion's fault for leaving early. ;)

1986-87 with the Pearl (Monroe would have been the third guard)
1991-92 with Billy
2003-06 with Carmelo
2009-10 with Jonny
2010-11 with Jonny and Wes
2012-13 with Melo and Dion

We can only wonder.

He isn't a good shooter. The %'s back this up.

We need to hope he shoots above his AVERAGES to win some games.

Not sure what else there is to say..

Maybe Triche just isn't as good as we (or Boeheim) think he is. If that's the case then I can't really get on him as much as I'd like to. That being said our biggest weakness is Triche. Yes, that's what I said...he is our biggest weakness. Say what you want about the 2 headed wannabe monster in Rak/Keita, but not too many college teams have dominant big men and only a handful have above average big men so what we as Syracuse fans find frustrating in our big men is the same thing 95% of college fans find frustrating about their teams big men. MCW is above average and say what you want but he just doesn't have talent around him that can put the ball in the basket consistently, when they do he get double digit assists with ease, he's good, lets not act like he isnt. CJ Fair is as consitent and consistency gets with this team. 10-15 points a game and a solid rebounder, hes not a superstar but hes solid. Southerland would start for pretty much any team in the country, he can be erratic but hes very good. Cooney seems to be getting marginally better but still isnt the sharpshooter we need him to be and Grant is oozing with potential but is only a true freshman who is unable to stretch the defense and with a frontline of CJ/Grant/Rak-Keita, he needs to be able to do that or we have no spacing. Triche could solve all this if he played like people think hes capable of (if hes capable of that). Triche is a senior and should be the leader of this team. He has to shoot better, has to be more clutch and has to become the leader otherwise put MCW off the ball because at least MCW has confidence and ability. Unlike collegiate big men, other teams have beastmode 2 guards...we dont.

1991-92 with Billy
2003-06 with Carmelo
2009-10 with Jonny
2010-11 with Jonny and Wes
2012-13 with Melo and Dion

We can only wonder.
2009-10 add Devo with Jonny, Triche would have been the 4th or 5th guard, could have redshirted and learned how to penetrate and score from Devo.

Both Pearl and Sherman were point guards. Monroe shot .439 from outside that season ... he HAD to start.

Sherman got both DC and Seikaly involved in the offense on a regular basis. Pearl would have tried to do too much by himself.

IMO the 1986-87 team was better off without Pearl.

I would give him a B. He's pretty much playing to his abilities, can't fault him for people wanting him to be something that he's not.

Yeah, I would give him a B off what I expected.

A D+ based on what ppl on the board insist he is as a player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom