Brett Axe is a huge Richard | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Brett Axe is a huge Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I lived in Syracuse in the 2000s I used to listen to Axe after each game on the drive home and never found him to be that controversial. I haven't listened to him in about 15 years. Did people find him awful back then also or did he just take a turn for the worst?

Back when I lived in Syracuse in the 2000s I used to listen to Axe after each game on the drive home and never found him to be that controversial. I haven't listened to him in about 15 years. Did people find him awful back then also or did he just take a turn for the worst?
I don’t find him controversial. He went after JB hard this year. Probably should have happened sooner.

I do agree he takes forever to get to the point at times. That is the biggest complaint against him. He gets solid guests.

I don’t find him controversial. He went after JB hard this year. Probably should have happened sooner.

I do agree he takes forever to get to the point at times. That is the biggest complaint against him. He gets solid guests.
Honestly, I'm not aware of a radio host on Earth that doesn't take forever to get to a point.

If you asked Jim Rome "what time is it?" you would get a half-hour diatribe.

Last edited:
So Axe got fired for asking a question that was actually the truth?

Boeheim and Admin put themselves in that mess with JB's presser after Wake, and now they get a guy canned for following up on it and calling a spade a spade?

Please just make it stop

It sounds like JB may be getting some sort of role at that station...Hmmmm

Even if he did take a turn in terms of being more negative, there's obviously a lot more reason to be negative the last few years than there were back then.

But agreed, Axe was totally fine when I listened to him 5+ years ago and he was a fine Twitter follow. Then again, I also was someone that thought Jim should have stepped down years ago, so maybe I just didn't mind whatever other people felt to be too negative.

Even if he did take a turn in terms of being more negative, there's obviously a lot more reason to be negative the last few years than there were back then.

But agreed, Axe was totally fine when I listened to him 5+ years ago and he was a fine Twitter follow. Then again, I also was someone that thought Jim should have stepped down years ago, so maybe I just didn't mind whatever other people felt to be too negative.

The negativity is what fuels sports radio. If that wasn't the case the big Boston stations wouldn't have been so successful for decades.

Not sure the story on Brent getting fired but if it's editorial based that's really stupid and myopic.

I don't have an emotional attachment to Axe one way or another, but I will say this: he obviously genuinely cares about SU sports (as opposed to this just being a steppingstone job to a bigger market) and I feel like local radio is a dying breed and it's very important to have local perspectives (as opposed to nationally syndicated shows).

As someone who’s never lived in Syracuse and never really listened to Axe outside of tibids from here or social media, I was surprised at the uproar caused by his firing because the perception I got was that most people didn’t like him and found him lousy at his job.

I hear they are giving his time slot to Brian Harrison. I kid I kid. Don't like Axe and think many of his points are obvious and he doesn't add much to the conversation. There is a difference between saying we shouldn't play the zone and actually have a good substantive break down on the reasons why etc. I don't feel like he creates meaningful conversation and he gives fans that don't have any idea what they are talking about and are angry a place to air grievances. If anything he added to the idea JAB seemed to have that most fans were with him and the ones against him shouldn't be taken seriously. He has blocked me on twitter and I will admit to not listening to his show much recently not being local.

I am of the belief that he is pissed that Jim used to call into his show and talk to him. Something must have happened and Jim preferred to call into Brian Higgins show instead. He must have a major “axe” to grind.
The fact that Axe built a whole segment around a lunatic message board fan is all you need to know. I know some hate Jim Rome but he was spot on that the last thing on the list that inspires folks to listen to a show is the callers.

I listed to Prime Time Adam Schein in that time slot during the fall of 1999 before I moved out of the area. That at the time kid out of school was miles better than Axe ever was.

he never turns down an opportunity to take a shot at JW, it's obviously personal.
It’s sorta like…the NCAA is so mad at UNC, they put Cleveland State back on probation.

So Axe got fired for asking a question that was actually the truth?

Boeheim and Admin put themselves in that mess with JB's presser after Wake, and now they get a guy canned for following up on it and calling a spade a spade?

Please just make it stop
Time and place. Just because there’s a punch bowl doesn’t mean you have to piss in it

As someone who’s never lived in Syracuse and never really listened to Axe outside of tibids from here or social media, I was surprised at the uproar caused by his firing because the perception I got was that most people didn’t like him and found him lousy at his job.
He was lousy.

But the idea that the main sports radio show in town is State Media isn't ideal. Hopefully someone puts together a good Cuse podcast soon or something.

your true friends will tell you when your outfit looks ridiculous or you have a booger in your nose

(momma used to say a bat in the cave)

He was lousy.

But the idea that the main sports radio show in town is State Media isn't ideal. Hopefully someone puts together a good Cuse podcast soon or something.
Exactly, I mean if so many people think this is wrong then why wouldn’t some station hire Axe and let him do his thing?
I wouldn’t listen to it, but from the takes here it sounds like a no brainer business decision if you owned a radio station.

That's about the only time I listened to him too and since I had to give up going to games I kind of forget he even existed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom