Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

Ok, so last thing on She's All That - that short closing soccer ball scene is so good. Dean as a villain gets his comeuppance as he's suffered hearing loss from whatever advance he made on Laney, which is some dark, dark stuff if you think about it.

But you don't really get that chance thanks to the closing image of a chuckling Laney catching a soccer ball, as Zack literally goes balls out for graduation. Which fits everything so perfectly , because remember the hacky sack scene from before? What was Zack's fear? That's right, it was letting the balls drop.

Letting. The balls. Drop.

Think about it. Think about the character arc on display. And the balls implied to be on display. Hilarious.

That has to be one of the all-time great final scenes in movie history.

Can’t blame him.

He’s not tall enough to play the 3 and can’t handle the 1. But most importantly the coach is adamant that his kid sees 35 mins a night at the 2. So what’s Brycen to do?

Idk why everyone is talking about Carey he’s proven he can’t contribute and makes a mistake per minute.

We are Syracuse and can replace these guys there’s just a delay and uncertainty of course but again we are Syracuse and open scholarships are a good thing. This could also mean Eli might stay.

That has to be one of the all-time great final scenes in movie history.
Totally off-topic, in an already off-topic thread derail, but, even after originally seeing it when it first came out, I recently decided that “Whiplash” has one of the best all-time final scenes.

I’ve always held your opinion in high esteem so I’d be interested in your thoughts on this.

&, just so this doesn’t get deleted, I would’ve preferred to keep Goodine over Carey, if it ends up being an either/or.

Totally off-topic, in an already off-topic thread derail, but, even after originally seeing it when it first came out, I recently decided that “Whiplash” has one of the best all-time final scenes.

I’ve always held your opinion in high esteem so I’d be interested in your thoughts on this.

&, just so this doesn’t get deleted, I would’ve preferred to keep Goodine over Carey, if it ends up being an either/or.
I haven't seen it yet, to be honest. That's the drummer movie where J. Jonah Jameson is like a taskmaster, right?

Think the something happened directly in front of us.

yes we all saw what happened. I don’t blame him but this is a huge loss! Jimmy needs to do a better job of splitting minutes at guard. Otherwise, I see no reason why any shooting guard would commit here. Buddy is getting his 35+ minutes (and 40 in games that are not blowouts) per game. There are implications to actions and losing your two most athletic and highest potential guards are it.

cuse

Surprised, but in the time he played, he couldn't shoot or finish strongly at the rim. If could have done one of those, he'd have got more time.

he didn’t really get a chance. He played very good defense and for someone learning a new defense would have gotten better. Needed a few minutes of consistent run to show what he could do. Others got it and he didn’t.

Jim doesn't play anyone at the 2. It is completely wrong. Hughes, Goodine, Carey, Joe are all natural 2's.
Buddy is a good player but he shouldn't be playing more than 25-30 minutes a game. The same with Joe. There is no way he should be playing as much as he does.

To anyone who says “I hope he stays”...based on his tweet, there’s no chance. He doesn’t make that tweet if he’s just “considering” leaving...he’s definitely gone.

I honestly think we will see a patch work team the next 2 years with grad transfers (notice the s) being prevalent on both teams.

Dior will get here with at least 7 open scholarships. I think he tries to bring whoever he can. We discussed earlier that Zion Cruz seemed like a stretch because we’d have 2 SRs (JG3, Goodine) a JR (Kadary) and Dior all vying for back court minutes. That’s not the case any more...I’m also in the camp that Kadary can play the 3

To anyone who says “I hope he stays”...based on his tweet, there’s no chance. He doesn’t make that tweet if he’s just “considering” leaving...he’s definitely gone.

I honestly think we will see a patch work team the next 2 years with grad transfers (notice the s) being prevalent on both teams.

Dior will get here with at least 7 open scholarships. I think he tries to bring whoever he can. We discussed earlier that Zion Cruz seemed like a stretch because we’d have 2 SRs (JG3, Goodine) a JR (Kadary) and Dior all vying for back court minutes. That’s not the case any more...I’m also in the camp that Kadary can play the 3

He's definitely not coming back.

This move to me tells me either:

1. We are getting Towns or another 3 who will play significant minutes

or

2. Buddy was never ever gonna play the 3 no matter what the roster looks like
I think it's 2. Getting clearer as to what comes first for JB

I can just see Buddy at the three. The ball goes up and he runs out of bounds because he wants to avoid any contact.

Goodine a big loss? Sheesh. Standards around here have clearly diminished.

He's a piece, and he's already been replaced.

As far as playing time, I've been saying for years JB runs his players into the ground. But at the beginning of the year, Goodine was given the same opportunity as basically any other guard, and he played himself right out of the rotation. I think it's a testament to the kid that he worked his way back, but rather than look at the shortcomings of Joe and Buddy, I look at it as he was not good enough to merit taking minutes from those two.

Seems like a good kid and I think he will be a good player somewhere (I seem him as having a Kueth Duany, Scoop, Cooney type ceiling). Also think he would have been a useful player here. But he'd never be more than a piece.

There is something deeply wrong with this program.

Seriously? Do you know how many players transfer every year in D1 basketball? Do you know how many teams don’t have players leave? This is the second player who has moved on who would have had eligibility next year. Hardly an indictment on the program.

Stinks that he never got a chance here. He’s making the right move leaving because he knows he’ll never get a proper shot.

I hope he ends up somewhere to play at a high level because I think he will be pretty solid. Maybe a Providence would be a good fit?

I expect Carey and Washington to follow suit, though HW could stay for another season and then grad transfer.
What is a “proper shot?” He was third guard in the rotation after Carey shut down getting 10+ minutes a game and did not perform. Washington passed him in the rotation based on performance (including practice) but he was starting to work his way past him the last couple of weeks. With Carey back and Richmond coming in and the starting backcourt returning it would have been difficult for him to earn a place in the rotation next year so this seems to be the best resolution for both parties. Wish him well and move on.

Can’t blame him.

He’s not tall enough to play the 3 and can’t handle the 1. But most importantly the coach is adamant that his kid sees 35 mins a night at the 2. So what’s Brycen to do?

Idk why everyone is talking about Carey he’s proven he can’t contribute and makes a mistake per minute.

We are Syracuse and can replace these guys there’s just a delay and uncertainty of course but again we are Syracuse and open scholarships are a good thing. This could also mean Eli might stay.
We are Syracuse doesn’t mean what it used too.

2019-2020: 18–14
2018-2019:20-14
2017-2018: 23-14
2016-2017 19-15
2015-2016: 23-14
2014-2015: 18-13

What does we are Syracuse mean?
We don’t get it. We aren’t a contender in the minds of these kids right now.
We are Seton Hall or Providence in the Big East from 1979-2013 right now.

Losing this kid stinks. Our HC’s philosophy is shortsided. When you have the players to play a short rotation you do it. Hakim Warrick, Michael Gbinije, Elijah Hughes seasons.

Those players should play high 30 MPG. Trevor Cooney, Tyus Battle, Buddy Boeheim are good players who should play starters minutes but not the whole game. Syracuse at all times should be able to have 10 scholarship players who can play.

Do you consider Eric Devendorf a PG? That is what I envision for Girard. We have a natural PG on the floor and then Girard is the SG who can be a playmaker and score but isn't the primary ball handler.
If Girard gets to the level of Devo, we'd all be thrilled. Great finisher, tough competitor and team oriented. I'm not sure what more you want. Some cookbook recipe for PG doesn't mean it's the only option.

What is a “proper shot?” He was third guard in the rotation after Carey shut down getting 10+ minutes a game and did not perform. Washington passed him in the rotation based on performance (including practice) but he was starting to work his way past him the last couple of weeks. With Carey back and Richmond coming in and the starting backcourt returning it would have been difficult for him to earn a place in the rotation next year so this seems to be the best resolution for both parties. Wish him well and move on.
I like the people that claim he got no shot but JB saw him practice every day for 7 months. The implication that giving him 8 minutes more per game is “giving him a shot” like it outweighs everything that happens in practice. Don’t people think if JG and Goodine performed close to equal in practice they both would have played? JB saw both these kids play WAY more than any of us have and still barely gave Goodine any run.

Btw, Carey still leaves. Hopefully HoWash stays now though.

If Girard gets to the level of Devo, we'd all be thrilled. Great finisher, tough competitor and team oriented. I'm not sure what more you want. Some cookbook recipe for PG doesn't mean it's the only option.
Girard’s FR year was on par with Devo’s.

Girard had half an assist more per game but Devo’s shooting percentages were miles better. Devo wasn’t the PG either it was GMac but he was a second PG on the floor to help GMac with the ball carrying load.
I see them as the same type of player.

We are Syracuse doesn’t mean what it used too.

2019-2020: 18–14
2018-2019:20-14
2017-2018: 23-14
2016-2017 19-15
2015-2016: 23-14
2014-2015: 18-13

What does we are Syracuse mean?
We don’t get it. We aren’t a contender in the minds of these kids right now.
We are Seton Hall or Providence in the Big East from 1979-2013 right now.

Losing this kid stinks. Our HC’s philosophy is shortsided. When you have the players to play a short rotation you do it. Hakim Warrick, Michael Gbinije, Elijah Hughes seasons.

Those players should play high 30 MPG. Trevor Cooney, Tyus Battle, Buddy Boeheim are good players who should play starters minutes but not the whole game. Syracuse at all times should be able to have 10 scholarship players who can play.
One thing you know if you come to Syracuse is that if one of the 5 or 6 best guys you will get MASSIVE minutes.

I do agree we can’t just grab whoever we want like we have in years prior.

however, let’s take a deep breath. We lost a top 100 guard and are bringing in another one. We also return a sophomore, junior and senior at the guard spots (I assume Carey leaves and HoWash stays).

people are upset at the idea of losing Goodine, but logically wouldn’t have played that much next year anyway still

I like the people that claim he got no shot but JB saw him practice every day for 7 months. The implication that giving him 8 minutes more per game is “giving him a shot” like it outweighs everything that happens in practice. Don’t people think if JG and Goodine performed close to equal in practice they both would have played? JB saw both these kids play WAY more than any of us have and still barely gave Goodine any run.

Btw, Carey still leaves. Hopefully HoWash stays now though.
If JB watched them at practice he would be blind to not see Goodine was better at defense.
So even if he wanted to play an offensive oriented lineup he clearly should have played Goodine more when protecting a lead for defense.

We struggled in the last 5 minutes of games. If we used Goodine on defense it would have helped. I don’t get why people say JB watches in practice as an argument when we know the HC rides his horses that is his philosophy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom