Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

Can we just rewind to the Kaleb Joseph is transferring thread and save everyone a lot of time?

And was the first 12 games but didn’t perform.
Kaleb Joseph was a higher rated recruit than Goodine, had one memorable game and never performed here or at Creighton. Recruiting ratings are irrelevant the minute you step on campus. Our 3 guard rotation next year is Girard, Boeheim and Carey or Richmond. I see Washington as the safety net much like he was this year. Which one would you throw out for Goodine? And don’t say find room for four or move Buddy to SF.
The ACC was as down this year as it will be as a whole.
4 lock tournament teams.
1 bubble team.
We went 10-10 in conference in that conference.
Next year our conference will be tougher.

If we are going to roll with 3 guards next year can’t wait for hoping 18-13 next year and we can be on the good side of the bubble.

Who is replacing Hughes production?

There are 0 reasons why Buddy and Joe are playing 40 minutes a game. Cmon man. These guys aren’t all stars who take over the game alone. They do not deserve the minutes they play. JB ran 3 players tot he ground this year...and the year before...and the year before...

Why would someone want to come in as a guard knowing he may transfer after a year? Goodine was supposed to be good for us...he’s gone.. oh wait, we have Carey. He’s gone next.

it’s not right. Buddy DOES NOT deserve 40 min a game.
Buddy averaged 35. Joe averaged 33. Yes there were some names where Buddy played 40. Honestly, people. JB uses pre conference season to evaluate the roster, then plays the 5 he feels give us the best chance to win. If you expect differently go whine someplace else.

Goodine a big loss? Sheesh. Standards around here have clearly diminished.

He's a piece, and he's already been replaced.

As far as playing time, I've been saying for years JB runs his players into the ground. But at the beginning of the year, Goodine was given the same opportunity as basically any other guard, and he played himself right out of the rotation. I think it's a testament to the kid that he worked his way back, but rather than look at the shortcomings of Joe and Buddy, I look at it as he was not good enough to merit taking minutes from those two.

Seems like a good kid and I think he will be a good player somewhere (I seem him as having a Kueth Duany, Scoop, Cooney type ceiling). Also think he would have been a useful player here. But he'd never be more than a piece.

I think that statement would have been insanely relevant...a decade ago. Just going back on the Providence reference bandwagon, our starting guards couldn't sniff minutes at Providence. We're not talking about typical Syracuse teams. I mean, maybe Girard could get some PT their, because he can dribble, but they'd be tiny.

So, just looking at the last third of the year, the stats, and how some of the players did against higher quality opponents, do you think there is anything you could do to play your way OUT of the rotation?

Outside of injuries forcing someone INTO the rotation, can you name a player in the last 10 years that played himself into heavy rotation?

What Girard does better than Goodine is shoot the ball. Also to be fair early on he was more comfortable with ball but Goodine didn't get the rope to show what he could do.

And distribute. Really showed signs of being a very creative passer late in the year. Pretty solid assist to turnover ratio. You know. Point guard type stuff.

I don't think Girard is a PG. He is a SG but because we have Buddy there and not at SF he has to PG. Our backcourt is just brutal defensively. I think Girard will be a good 4 year player but he isn't a PG.
What is it that he lacks to be considered a PG in your eyes? And don’t say defense because in the zone there is no difference between the 1 and the 2.

What is it that he lacks to be considered a PG in your eyes? And don’t say defense because in the zone there is no difference between the 1 and the 2.
He doesn’t penetrate and make a defense collapse.
He doesn’t feed the post well.
The kid is a gamer and a player that played really well because we needed a Pg and he did the job.

His play was okay. I don’t think he is a natural PG. I said he is a smarter version of Eric Devendorf.

Let's be honest. This will be a much better team next year if Joe and Buddy play 30 minutes and Richmond plays 20. Each player will be more efficient and effective. If JB doesn't do that next year, then we should just wait it out until we get an actual coach in there again. I think it said a lot that Goodine can see Carey leaving too, and still puts his name in the portal the minute the game with UNC was over. Ouch.
Agree completely assuming Richmond shows evidence in the conference pre season that he can be effective with those 20 minutes.

Can't believe how some SU fans dump on the coaching when a kid transfers. It happens all the time in Div. 1 athletics, whether coaches play a short bench or a longer bench. Coaches coach to win basketball games not to give out playing time so kids won't transfer out. The reality of this situation was determined when Girard earned the starting PG position and no one on the bench stepped up to earn more playing time. For every kid that transfers out it opens up a scholarship for another player to come in. In Brycen's situation he just didn't play well enough to earn more minutes and he must have realized that there are better guys ahead of him as well as more players entering next year.

Can't believe how some SU fans dump on the coaching when a kid transfers. It happens all the time in Div. 1 athletics, whether coaches play a short bench or a longer bench. Coaches coach to win basketball games not to give out playing time so kids won't transfer out. The reality of this situation was determined when Girard earned the starting PG position and no one on the bench stepped up to earn more playing time. For every kid that transfers out it opens up a scholarship for another player to come in. In Brycen's situation he just didn't play well enough to earn more minutes and he must have realized that there are better guys ahead of him as well as more players entering next year.
The talent has been flowing thru the program the last 6 years.
People are frustrated a player who could help the team left.

Don’t count on it. He’s been more than halfway out the door since December..

I’m curious - I’ve felt this was likely the case too.

But - why not be 100% out the door before the 2nd semester started??

IF Jalen transfers NOW, he’s got a handful of options, and most aren’t great or likely:
  • Sit out a full year. Medical RS doesn’t count as time served for transfer RS
  • Drop down a level, play right away
  • Leave to try to go Pro (yeah, I know.)
  • Try for an NCAA exception. Except, he’s already “close to home”, so odds are extremely low
  • Pray that the NCAA enacts the one free transfer “Get Out Of Jail Free Card” in time for him to play next year.

That last one seems like his only real shot, and it’s not a given.

or - he could stay, try his chances here.

Last edited:
our starting guards couldn't sniff minutes at Providence
Strongly disagree with this statement. There aren’t many coaches who would refuse to play a high-volume, high-percentage 3-pt shooter like Buddy. Cooley would definitely be smart enough to play him. You’re gonna tell me that Cooley would have chained Buddy to the bench in favor of 5’-11” UMass transfer Luwane Pipkins on this year’s Providence squad?!?

He doesn’t penetrate and make a defense collapse.
He doesn’t feed the post well.
The kid is a gamer and a player that played really well because we needed a Pg and he did the job.

His play was okay. I don’t think he is a natural PG. I said he is a smarter version of Eric Devendorf.
The Devo comparison doesn’t work. Joe will never be a driver and finisher like Eric. Too small and doesn’t have the quick first step to get by.

Strongly disagree with this statement. There aren’t many coaches who would refuse to play a high-volume, high-percentage 3-pt shooter like Buddy. Cooley would definitely be smart enough to play him. You’re gonna tell me that Cooley would have chained Buddy to the bench in favor of 5’-11” UMass transfer Luwane Pipkins on this year’s Providence squad?!?

I'm not sure any coach would play Buddy at PG...at most any level.

When you factor in defense...abso-freaking-lutely.
Would not play.

i agree that Buddy should not have played over 30 mpg. But, none of his backup options proved they could consistently contribute during their opportunities. Even up until mid February we were battling for a tournament opportunity and top 5 in the ACC. We played for 2020 not 2021.

can’t afford to sit a scorer when the other options don’t offer much in general outside of a few good defensive stands.

lets stop comparing to freshman Triche. Triche was already a solid contributor when he came in, and for a great team.

i agree that Buddy should not have played over 30 mpg. But, none of his backup options proved they could consistently contribute offensively during their opportunities.
Fixed it for you.

someone else said it well yesterday. This is the first time I remember JB trading offense for defense. Somewhere Rak Xmas is pissed.

i agree that Buddy should not have played over 30 mpg. But, none of his backup options proved they could consistently contribute during their opportunities. Even up until mid February we were battling for a tournament opportunity and top 5 in the ACC. We played for 2020 not 2021.

can’t afford to sit a scorer when the other options don’t offer much in general outside of a few good defensive stands.

lets stop comparing to freshman Triche. Triche was already a solid contributor when he came in, and for a great team.
Is 15 PPG playing 36.4 MPG a scorer?

Buddy is a solid player he is not a go to guy.
That is Hughes, Gbinije, Nichols types.

Girard and Buddy played the whole game because we went all in to play a shooting oriented offense. That when they fell won games and when they didn’t we lost.

We were 17-14 with that philosophy and we are losing our best player and now lost a guard who could help because of it.

This crap is annoying.

I'm not sure any coach would play Buddy at PG...at most any level.

When you factor in defense...abso-freaking-lutely.
I probably should have invoked Maliek White’s name instead of Luwane Pipkins, I guess. (I went with Pipkins b/c he had the most 3-pt makes on their team.)

Do you really think Cooley would have chained Buddy to the bench in favor of White and his 27% 3-pt shooting stroke? I think you’re nuts if you think that.

Fixed it for you.

someone else said it well yesterday. This is the first time I remember JB trading offense for defense. Somewhere Rak Xmas is pissed.

You don’t remember Donté and the gang?

Or, more recently, Uncle Drew & John Gillon?

Those were both teams and years where we sucked at D, so our only hope I’d winning was to outscore the other guys.

This is now (at least) the 3rd time since ‘03 that JB has been forced to go that route, given the players he had at the time.

Is 15 PPG playing 36.4 MPG a scorer?

Buddy is a solid player he is not a go to guy.
That is Hughes, Gbinije, Nichols types.

Girard and Buddy played the whole game because we went all in to play a shooting oriented offense. That when they fell won games and when they didn’t we lost.

We were 17-14 with that philosophy and we are losing our best player and now lost a guard who could help because of it.

This crap is annoying.

Hughes is an NBA player, and this team couldn’t hold Nichols’ or Gbinije’s teams jock straps whether thats saying much or not.

Buddy had 10 twenty point games this year, that’s a scorer.

brycen was too passive imo. Needed to draw defenders and hardly did so.

Hughes is an NBA player, and this team couldn’t hold Nichols’ or Gbinije’s teams jock straps whether thats saying much or not.

Buddy had 10 twenty point games this year, that’s a scorer.

brycen was too passive imo. Needed to draw defenders and hardly did so.
Again somebody has to play the minutes and take shots.
We aren’t throwing walkons at guards.
Luke Hancock types aren’t scorers.

They are winning players on good teams not players relied on to be the focus point.

The ACC was as down this year as it will be as a whole.
4 lock tournament teams.
1 bubble team.
We went 10-10 in conference in that conference.
Next year our conference will be tougher.

If we are going to roll with 3 guards next year can’t wait for hoping 18-13 next year and we can be on the good side of the bubble.

Who is replacing Hughes production?
Grad transfer and buddy Joe and Marek upping their ppg by a couple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom