Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

One thing you know if you come to Syracuse is that if one of the 5 or 6 best guys you will get MASSIVE minutes.

I do agree we can’t just grab whoever we want like we have in years prior.

however, let’s take a deep breath. We lost a top 100 guard and are bringing in another one. We also return a sophomore, junior and senior at the guard spots (I assume Carey leaves and HoWash stays).

people are upset at the idea of losing Goodine, but logically wouldn’t have played that much next year anyway still
How can we say logically he wouldn’t have played and that is good?

If he developed his offense in an offseason he would have made a jump.
Goodine on the floor more next year makes our defense better and active.

He didn’t get minutes this year because JB went all in for shooting in the lineup. That shouldn’t be the strategy before we know how improved Goodine was.

This loss is maddening because this kid had upside and saw the writing on the wall and bailed because he saw it.

If JB watched them at practice he would be blind to not see Goodine was better at defense.
So even if he wanted to play an offensive oriented lineup he clearly should have played Goodine more when protecting a lead for defense.

We struggled in the last 5 minutes of games. If we used Goodine on defense it would have helped. I don’t get why people say JB watches in practice as an argument when we know the HC rides his horses that is his philosophy.
Goodine was arguably better than HoWash at defense too but HoWash always got in the game first.

so you think if Goodine was obviously better than
Girard that JB would still only play JG3? Look, I do agree that Goodine should have played more. But JB has seen both kids way more than us and decided JG is currently the better player and deserves way more minutes

Last 9 games, since Feb 11th, 15-60, exactly 25% from three, and that includes his 2-4 final game against UNC.

40.6% in the first 23 games 81-202. Nailed it.
I went back too far, because you said "the last 6 weeks or so"! You're right, 25% from 3-pt range over the last 9 games. 55.8% (24 for 43) from 2-pt range over that same time period.

Buddy's challenge for next season is to grow his offensive game even more off the dribble, and to find more ways to help the team if his 3-pt shot isn't falling.

Goodine was arguably better than HoWash at defense too but HoWash always got in the game first.

Girard that JB would still only play JG3? Look, I do agree that Goodine should have played more. But JB has seen both kids way more than us and decided JG is currently the better player and deserves way more minutes

Howard Washington knows how to dictate the tempo and makes good decisions out there; he has a better feel for the game. He's not as skilled offensively as Girard is, but I felt a lot more comfortable with him on the court. I actually wanted him to get more time when Girard would take it upon himself throw an errant pass or bad shot for no reason.

How can we say logically he wouldn’t have played and that is good?

If he developed his offense in an offseason he would have made a jump.
Goodine on the floor more next year makes our defense better and active.

He didn’t get minutes this year because JB went all in for shooting in the lineup. That shouldn’t be the strategy before we know how improved Goodine was.

This loss is maddening because this kid had upside and saw the writing on the wall and bailed because he saw it.
I’m sure he had that opportunity. I’m sure JB wanted him back snd told him where he needed to improve to earn more minutes. Either Goodine didn’t agree, or he thought that no matter what he did, he would never play

JG deserved starters minutes he was a solid player.
Buddy and JG together were also the worst defensive guard pairing in the zone ever. Flynn and Devo previously held that status but they were miles more active in the zone.

Goodine should have played some of Buddy’s and Girard’s minutes.
In 32 games Buddy played 1138 minutes. That is 35.5 MPG.

Sorry but with his defense that is just crazy. Girard played 33 MPG.

These players were not good enough for this. How do we expect their minutes to be scaled back?

I’m sure he had that opportunity. I’m sure JB wanted him back snd told him where he needed to improve to earn more minutes. Either Goodine didn’t agree, or he thought that no matter what he did, he would never play
Not directed at you but if the HC can’t see why players would be pissed if this happened then how do we recruit.

Our program has a talent issue and we keep losing talent early. No player who is a finished player should ever stay at Syracuse after that season. Just go pro.

JG deserved starters minutes he was a solid player.
Buddy and JG together were also the worst defensive guard pairing in the zone ever. Flynn and Devo previously held that status but they were miles more active in the zone.

Goodine should have played some of Buddy’s and Girard’s minutes.
In 32 games Buddy played 1138 minutes. That is 35.5 MPG.

Sorry but with his defense that is just crazy. Girard played 33 MPG.

These players were not good enough for this. How do we expect their minutes to be scaled back?
We are saying the same thing I think. I do agree Goodine is superior defensively and I do think that he should have got at least 15mpg. Ironically if Goodine proved to be the better overall player we may have seen JG3 leave.

JB has said it before - these kids don’t get tired, AAU, etc. it appears hecares less about keeping kids happy and more about just playing the best 6.5 guys he thinks we have

Not directed at you but if the HC can’t see why players would be pissed if this happened then how do we recruit.

Our program has a talent issue and we keep losing talent early. No player who is a finished player should ever stay at Syracuse after that season. Just go pro.
This is happening across the country and Will happen more often with the new transfer rule.

also, losing kids early to go pro is different completely. And like someone mentioned earlier; other than BJ, who has transferred Syracuse and been wildly successful elsewhere? In the last 15 years it’s only BJ (this definitely has to do with failed recruiting as well but that’s a different convo)

We are saying the same thing I think. I do agree Goodine is superior defensively and I do think that he should have got at least 15mpg. Ironically if Goodine proved to be the better overall player we may have seen JG3 leave.

JB has said it before - these kids don’t get tired, AAU, etc. it appears hecares less about keeping kids happy and more about just playing the best 6.5 guys he thinks we have
Can’t wait for the March to 17 wins next year and this board spinning that as some major accomplishment.

Oh what it feels to have an actual contender going into March.

Let’s just keep hyping Dior as well.

All the comments about Brycen being a good defensive player may be true. But when is the last time that JB kept a guard on the roster simply because he was a good defensive player?

All the comments about Brycen being a good defensive player may be true. But when is the last time that JB kept a guard on the roster simply because he was a good defensive player?
The player most likely to get some of Buddy and Girard’s minutes next year just decided to leave.

When Carey goes our guard rotation next year right now
Girard, Boeheim bench Washington, Richmond

How many minutes to do we expect from Washington and Richmond?

The problem is the plan for next year relies on Richmond being better than Goodine to even sniff playing time next year.
What happens a year from now?

This is happening across the country and Will happen more often with the new transfer rule.

also, losing kids early to go pro is different completely. And like someone mentioned earlier; other than BJ, who has transferred Syracuse and been wildly successful elsewhere? In the last 15 years it’s only BJ (this definitely has to do with failed recruiting as well but that’s a different convo)
The new transfer rule has without a doubt changed the college basketball landscape. I think every kid wants to play 30+ minutes per game, and if it looks like they have a difficult path to get there - they can transfer and likely play right away.

Worth mentioning, also, that immediately after BJ left we did make a Final Four run.

The new transfer proposal hasn’t even passed.
If it has we should pursue a big who can play for next year and we won’t need Tape.

The player most likely to get some of Buddy and Girard’s minutes next year just decided to leave.

When Carey goes our guard rotation next year right now
Girard, Boeheim bench Washington, Richmond

How many minutes to do we expect from Washington and Richmond?

The problem is the plan for next year relies on Richmond being better than Goodine to even sniff playing time next year.
What happens a year from now?
Girard and Boeheim are hard workers and both will improve next year. Washington will be better and we know already that he is a good ball handler and decision maker. Richmond is an unknown as a freshman regardless of his high school ability.

Nice if he stayed but not end of the world stuff.

I think you’ll see more transfers overall with the relaxed rules not making kids sit out a year. Could work both for and against us. That said I liked Goodines potential overall, but maybe he thinks he can go to BC or somewhere similar and immediately play 35 minutes. Even if JB guaranteed he played 20 it wouldn’t be enough.

Seriously? Do you know how many players transfer every year in D1 basketball? Do you know how many teams don’t have players leave? This is the second player who has moved on who would have had eligibility next year. Hardly an indictment on the program.

It’s part of the bigger picture. Double digit losses in like 6 straight years. Recruiting has completely fallen off. And now even with mediocre talent and a slim roster, talented kids are leaving. Tell me what’s going well?

If JB watched them at practice he would be blind to not see Goodine was better at defense.
So even if he wanted to play an offensive oriented lineup he clearly should have played Goodine more when protecting a lead for defense.

We struggled in the last 5 minutes of games. If we used Goodine on defense it would have helped. I don’t get why people say JB watches in practice as an argument when we know the HC rides his horses that is his philosophy.
Dude!!! Someone has to be Boeheimed every year. It's in the contract. Let it go. Worry about more important things going on in the world.

My only take is Goodine decided a long time ago to leave. Hence the very quick announcement. This had to be in his plans for at least 1-2 months.
Yup. He thought he should be the starter so he is going somewhere where he has a better chance. End of story. Close the book!!!

The only minutes available are JG3. Buddy is playing 35 plus. Washington is only going to get bit minutes. Richmond is the unknown, I'd guess similar to Goodine with hopefully a different result.

Can we just rewind to the Kaleb Joseph is transferring thread and save everyone a lot of time?
He was the most talented recruit. JB screwed up. Goodine should have been playing 10 or more a game. Big loss. This one's on Jim
And was the first 12 games but didn’t perform.
Kaleb Joseph was a higher rated recruit than Goodine, had one memorable game and never performed here or at Creighton. Recruiting ratings are irrelevant the minute you step on campus. Our 3 guard rotation next year is Girard, Boeheim and Carey or Richmond. I see Washington as the safety net much like he was this year. Which one would you throw out for Goodine? And don’t say find room for four or move Buddy to SF.

Alright, so let's get real for a second about these 90s classic highschool movies.

If you had to choose which highschool to go to from the Holy Quartet (Can't Hardly Wait, She's All That, Varsity Blues, and 10 Things I Hate About You), which one would you pick and why?

I think I would have done well at the school in 10 Things I Hate About You. I had a decent amount of social mobility in highschool, and had a certain amount of freedom to roam around the different cliques. The highschool in 10 Things is established very early on to have extremely clear hierarchies and social groups. They're incredibly obvious. I feel like I would have navigated that pretty well, had some good friends, been moderately successful with ladies from different social circles, and just in general had some fun.

Granted, I'm white, so I would have been fine at any of those schools.

Oh, you weren't ready for a hard left turn like that were you?

Well, truth is, certain aspects of those movies haven't aged all that well, but sadly, they hold a mirror up to the society at the time. We've come a long way in valuing diversity and understanding the experiences of other people.
Could we maybe start a separate thread related to movies we like/don't like? This is running long enough on just the original topic without being hijacked.

I give him a lot of credit. Some guys don't realize it until it's too late. He's smart and made the best call for himself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom