Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

I probably should have invoked Maliek White’s name instead of Luwane Pipkins, I guess. (I went with Pipkins b/c he had the most 3-pt makes on their team.)

Do you really think Cooley would have chained Buddy to the bench in favor of White and his 27% 3-pt shooting stroke? I think you’re nuts if you think that.

Are you just gonna pick people with lower 3 pt shooting percentages and wonder how Buddy couldn't supplant them? White is a defensive guy, and has a better skill set overall. Can't shoot nearly as well - but they have a bunch of guys that could fill that Buddy role and do things like defend, dribble, and rebound as well.

You guys really overvalue the skill of standing around and creating space imo.

Do you think Buddy would play over any player in D1 he outshoots? Curious.

Are you just gonna pick people with lower 3 pt shooting percentages and wonder how Buddy couldn't supplant them? White is a defensive guy, and has a better skill set overall. Can't shoot nearly as well - but they have a bunch of guys that could fill that Buddy role and do things like defend, dribble, and rebound as well.

Not necessarily. But saying “he wouldn’t sniff minutes” is what I take issue with. That’s an over-the-top, hyperbolic statement that I think is just plain wrong. In 2020, if you are a great shooter, you’ll get minutes.

What JB has done has Buddy is not fair.
Buddy is a good player.
He isn’t good enough that he can’t be replaced though.

Our rotations should be short if we have elite players at those positions.

Not necessarily. But saying “he wouldn’t sniff minutes” is what I take issue with. That’s an over-the-top, hyperbolic statement that I think is just plain wrong. In 2020, if you are a great shooter, you’ll get minutes.
Buddy would have Andy Rautins numbers if he played Rautins minutes his years here.

That is damn good. Btw but Rautins didn’t play 36.4 MPG.

We are Syracuse doesn’t mean what it used too.

2019-2020: 18–14
2018-2019:20-14
2017-2018: 23-14
2016-2017 19-15
2015-2016: 23-14
2014-2015: 18-13

What does we are Syracuse mean?
We don’t get it. We aren’t a contender in the minds of these kids right now.
We are Seton Hall or Providence in the Big East from 1979-2013 right now.

Losing this kid stinks. Our HC’s philosophy is shortsided. When you have the players to play a short rotation you do it. Hakim Warrick, Michael Gbinije, Elijah Hughes seasons.

Those players should play high 30 MPG. Trevor Cooney, Tyus Battle, Buddy Boeheim are good players who should play starters minutes but not the whole game. Syracuse at all times should be able to have 10 scholarship players who can play.

Also, as far as probably goes, this abrupt shut-down kept SU from a likely plight of 16 losses overall. Which, I think would've been the most ever under a JB coached team.

Buddy is a good player.

Agreed. He saw what was in front of him and knew he wouldn't get double digit minutes until he's a senior. It's solid logic.

Fair enough. This is a silly argument anyway, as to your overall point then I likely agree, I'm more arguing specifically Providence...a team that doesn't lack for decent shooting, multi-dimensional 6'6" guys that can play shooting guard with some other defensive guys mixed in. :)

McMahon shot like 44% from three, and is a Senior. He's maybe on the trajectory I'd expect for Buddy. (someone else mentioned him)

I do stick to my original point though...Buddy couldn't get minutes at Providence. At all. Maybe blowouts.

If what you say was entirely true, we'd be seeing most mid-major three point shooting stars eating up minutes at high D1 schools with alarming regularity. The issue is, they cant dribble, pass, rebound, defend...it's not that they can't shoot.

Also, as far as probably goes, this abrupt shut-down kept SU from a likely plight of 16 losses overall. Which, I think would've been the most ever under a JB coached team.

I say it kept us from an ACC Tourney championship, as we had a perfect 7-0 record against teams the second time we played them. This virus cut our revenge tour run short!

Buddy is a good player.

I think that if Brycen and HoWash had shot the ball better than their combined 5-for-37 from 3-pt range, they would have played more.

If Brycen had knocked down all three of his 3-pt FG attempts at MSG back on 11/27, and followed that up with another good outing against Penn St the next night, do you really think JB would have chained him to the bench going forward? I don't.

I think that if Brycen and HoWash had shot the ball better than their combined 5-for-37 from 3-pt range, they would have played more.

If Brycen had knocked down all three of his 3-pt FG attempts at MSG back on 11/27, and followed that up with another good outing against Penn St the next night, do you really think JB would have chained him to the bench going forward? I don't.

Yup. Teams weren’t even guarding them when they were in there in key spots in some of those games.

Did JB keep Buddy chained to the bench last year when he was bad early in his freshman year?

You sound ridiculous. Goodine can't handle the ball or shoot. I can't put a guard out there just to play defense. A center can get away with that. A guard can't. You have to have some ability. At the next level, you have to be able to shoot especially with the way the game has trended. If you can't shoot, you will not have a job.
The same board dogs Carey out because he can't dribble, plays at one speed and can't shoot. At some point, you have to sacrifice one for the other. It just so happened that when Boeheim and Girard stopped hitting shots, their deficiencies at the top of the zone stood out even more. I don't see this as a big loss. Matthew Moyer transferred out because he didn't play either just to be the same player he was at Syracuse at Vanderbilt.

I sound Ridiculous? Name me a player in Jimmy's Career that he played offense over defense? Buddy and Girard are not good enough to play, or should I say such studs that they need to be playing 36.4 mpg, and 33.8 mpg respectively in conference games. Buddy should be at about 31-32 and Girard should be at about 26-28. Goodine should have gotten 12-14 mpg. Im not saying for goodine to play 32 mpg instead of both players. What Im arguing is that there was plenty of times he could of got more run to develop. Also, to keep the two starters fresher later in games where we lost plenty of games in the last 4 minutes. You can't tell me that Goodine was not good enough to come in at the 12 minute mark in the first half, to spell each player for 4 minutes or so and then at the 16 minute mark in the second half for a couple minutes to keep that starters fresher for the stretch run.

When Howard and Jalen were hurt and nobody else was available?
Buddy got hurt against Pitt.
Did the rotation expand after that injury.

Sorry but how JB has managed this Buddy situation deserves the questions being asked.

I also don’t think Buddy himself deserves any blame. It’s the HC.

Funny that he won the 3-point shooting contest at midnight madness but couldn’t do it in the games. He has to have a decent shot.

I sound Ridiculous? Name me a player in Jimmy's Career that he played offense over defense? Buddy and Girard are not good enough to play, or should I say such studs that they need to be playing 36.4 mpg, and 33.8 mpg respectively in conference games. Buddy should be at about 31-32 and Girard should be at about 26-28. Goodine should have gotten 12-14 mpg. Im not saying for goodine to play 32 mpg instead of both players. What Im arguing is that there was plenty of times he could of got more run to develop. Also, to keep the two starters fresher later in games where we lost plenty of games in the last 4 minutes. You can't tell me that Goodine was not good enough to come in at the 12 minute mark in the first half, to spell each player for 4 minutes or so and then at the 16 minute mark in the second half for a couple minutes to keep that starters fresher for the stretch run.

I think what some are saying is that even with 12-14 mpg Goodine still would’ve left. He doesn’t want 12-14 mpg. He wants to start.

Haven't read the entire thread so apologies in advance. Bummed about this as I really like Brycen.

That said with the log jam next year something had to give. Alongside the recent highlights of Richmond. Richmond looks everything and more a five star in how he finished his year. Keeping him off the court if he brings it next year will be impossible.

Also let's see what happens with Jalen. He is a incredible athlete and I'm not ruling out the possibility that if he can play off the ball we can use him in different spots.

I say it kept us from an ACC Tourney championship, as we had a perfect 7-0 record against teams the second time we played them. This virus cut our revenge tour run short!

Ha. That was JB's sentiment on Dan Patrick yesterday, although he was obviously kidding and saying it was very unlikely. Dan also said jokingly to JB, go hang your banner if you believe that... :)

I think what some are saying is that even with 12-14 mpg Goodine still would’ve left. He doesn’t want 12-14 mpg. He wants to start.
He wants to see a path to starting.
He won’t here because the incumbents are in his class and a sophomore.

Starting doesn’t matter. It’s playing time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom