Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

I'm old enough to remember that SU was hamstrung by sanctions because they wouldn't be able to develop talent.

He wants to see a path to starting.
He won’t here because the incumbents are in his class and a sophomore.

Starting doesn’t matter. It’s playing time.
Dion is probably the 2nd most successful recent orange and he never started. Now he comes back to say he should have been patient and listened to JB. I guess kids mentality never changes.

Did JB keep Buddy chained to the bench last year when he was bad early in his freshman year?
Yes! After starting and not playing well the first two games last year, JB pretty much did have Buddy chained to the bench. In the 9 games between 11/15 and 12/18, Buddy averaged 6 minutes per game with two DNPs. He got some more run in blowout wins against Arkansas St and St Bonaventure in games 12 and 13 - and played much better! He shot 50% from the floor and averaged 10.0 ppg in those two games! And then JB essentially benched him again for the next 2 games anyway (Ws against Notre Dame and Clemson).

It wasn't until after the Georgia Tech game, really, that Buddy played his way back into the rotation. (And JB still didn't really trust him against Duke or Va Tech - he only played about 5 minutes in each of those games.)
If Jalen had truly emerged during that stretch of games as the better option, I believe Buddy would have remained behind Jalen in the guard rotation.

Funny that he won the 3-point shooting contest at midnight madness but couldn’t do it in the games. He has to have a decent shot.
Wish we would have seen it when it counted... also wish he would have had the confidence in his ability to improve and earn more minutes next year. But that's not the way it played out, and it looks like he'd prefer to start fresh somewhere else - so I wish him well and say good luck (unless he's playing against us).

I think people are really underestimating Kadary next year. He already has a better handle than anyone on this years team except Girard. The difference is Kadary can get to anywhere he wants. We haven’t had someone like him in a long time. He‘s fearless at attacking the rim. We need someone next year who can penetrate and find people or just finish at the rim. He’s going to find minutes. He’s going to show in practice that he can defend all of our perimeter players. He’s great in the open court and he finds people. At 6’5” he might be able to play some three. From what I’ve seen, he brings things that we don’t currently have on the roster. I think he’s more talented than Goodine. He’s more fluid with the ball and he’s tough. We always need toughness. He reminds me of the kid that killed us from Oklahoma State, but with a better shot.

Yes! After starting and not playing well the first two games last year, JB pretty much did have Buddy chained to the bench. In the 9 games between 11/15 and 12/18, Buddy averaged 6 minutes per game with two DNPs. He got some more run in blowout wins against Arkansas St and St Bonaventure in games 12 and 13 - and played much better! He shot 50% from the floor and averaged 10.0 ppg in those two games! And then JB essentially benched him again for the next 2 games anyway (Ws against Notre Dame and Clemson).

It wasn't until after the Georgia Tech game, really, that Buddy played his way back into the rotation. (And JB still didn't really trust him against Duke or Va Tech - he only played about 5 minutes in each of those games.)
If Jalen had truly emerged during that stretch of games as the better option, I believe Buddy would have remained behind Jalen in the guard rotation.
After the game 9 the loss to Old Dominion
Buddy played
Arkansas State 18 minutes
St. Bonaventure 17 minutes
Notre Dame 5 minutes
Clemson 4 minutes
Georgia Tech 21 minutes
Duke 6 minutes
Pitt 19 Minutes
Miami 15 minutes
Virginia Tech 4 minutes
Boston College 21 minutes
Pitt 12 minutes
Florida State 26 minutes
Boston College 23 minutes
NC State 15 minutes
Louisville 31 minutes
Duke 15 minutes
North Carolina 16 minutes
Wake Forest 13 minutes
Virginia 23 minutes
Clemson 25 minutes.

Then because of Battle and Howard I am not counting because he had to Play those minutes because of injury/suspension.

Buddy was not strapped to the bench.

Like Goodine was and Buddy was bad to start the year as a starter. Goodine wasn’t a starter.

BTW Buddy’s minutes last year are how most teams treat their bench.

They let them play more when good and less when it’s a bad matchup.

The starters don’t play high 30 MPG just because.
Superstars or all conference players should play high 30 MPG.

I think people are really underestimating Kadary next year. He already has a better handle than anyone on this years team except Girard. The difference is Kadary can get to anywhere he wants. We haven’t had someone like him in a long time. He‘s fearless at attacking the rim. We need someone next year who can penetrate and find people or just finish at the rim. He’s going to find minutes. He’s going to show in practice that he can defend all of our perimeter players. He’s great in the open court and he finds people. At 6’5” he might be able to play some three. From what I’ve seen, he brings things that we don’t currently have on the roster. I think he’s more talented than Goodine. He’s more fluid with the ball and he’s tough. We always need toughness. He reminds me of the kid that killed us from Oklahoma State, but with a better shot.

Just posted about Kadary previous page as well.

I think what some are saying is that even with 12-14 mpg Goodine still would’ve left. He doesn’t want 12-14 mpg. He wants to start.

Playing him 12-14 minutes let him know that he has a chance, playing in only 14 conference games at an average of 6mpg in those contests doesn't make him believe he actually has a legitimate shot at playing here.

After the game 9 the loss to Old Dominion
Buddy played
Arkansas State 18 minutes
St. Bonaventure 17 minutes
Notre Dame 5 minutes
Clemson 4 minutes
Georgia Tech 21 minutes
Duke 6 minutes
Pitt 19 Minutes
Miami 15 minutes
Virginia Tech 4 minutes
Boston College 21 minutes
Pitt 12 minutes
Florida State 26 minutes
Boston College 23 minutes
NC State 15 minutes
Louisville 31 minutes
Duke 15 minutes
North Carolina 16 minutes
Wake Forest 13 minutes
Virginia 23 minutes
Clemson 25 minutes.

Then because of Battle and Howard I am not counting because he had to Play those minutes because of injury/suspension.

Buddy was not strapped to the bench.

Like Goodine was and Buddy was bad to start the year as a starter. Goodine wasn’t a starter.
Listing Buddy's minutes starting with the Arkansas St game - without also listing the fact that he shot 41-104 (39.4%) from 3-pt range in those minutes! - leaves out some very important context, don't you think?

If Brycen had had just one game where he knocked down multiple 3-pt shots, things could have been very different. But he didn't. So here we are.

Playing him 12-14 minutes let him know that he has a chance, playing in only 14 conference games at an average of 6mpg in those contests doesn't make him believe he actually has a legitimate shot at playing here.
1584202168234.gif

Listing Buddy's minutes starting with the Arkansas St game - without also listing the fact that he shot 41-104 (39.4%) from 3-pt range in those minutes! - leaves out some very important context, don't you think?

If Brycen had had just one game where he knocked down multiple 3-pt shots, things could have been very different. But he didn't. So here we are.
I didn’t know shooting 3’s is the only way a player can contribute offensively, defensively.

I mean cmon. Buddy is treated differently and that is the problem.

Go back and watch the Nov-Dec games from this past season. Watch them. Then tell me:
A) Brycen Goodine didn't get a chance to prove himself
B) Brycen Goodine performed anywhere close to deserving significant PT once conference games started

I didn’t know shooting 3’s is the only way a player can contribute offensively, defensively.

I mean cmon. Buddy is treated differently and that is the problem.
It's not the only way one can contribute, perhaps if Brycen had shown the ability to handle the ball better he would have also earned more minutes. But instead, he had a negative assist-to-turnover ratio, and so here we are.

For me, a fan of the program for about 4 & 1/2 decades now, this frustration with the fan base relative to playing time and playing bench players is, for the most part, business as usual. JB's comfort zone/how he has generally always rolled, has been playing his starters (starter types...a la Dion) the vast majority of minutes. The other players who'd made up the 6 and/or 7th guy, were used sparingly, typically more so in the 1st half of games then in the 2nd half, especially in close games/conference games where the outcome was in doubt until the very end, where they may not see any PT.

Therefore, IMO, it's just more of the same 'ol JB in this regard, however, the main/overwhelming obvious difference is that prior to this last 6 year stretch, we were chasing conference titles or at least running in the top half of same, whereas being stuck relatively irrelevant in conference as a consistent middling .500 type team. When winning at the higher clip, higher tourney seeds (both in conference & in the Dance) it was much easier to digest than now, an era of years of consistent double digit losses with no apparent end in sight in the near future.

Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but he was a very early commit to Cuse. He clearly wanted to play here. This is very frustrating. The only explanation is he doesn't see a path to playing more than 10-15 minutes a game, and everyone knows why. We can debate until the cows come home about his production this year. However, if he improved enough, he should have had the opportunity to play more next year. He didn't see that and now he is gone. I can't see how anyone see this as a good thing...

Seriously? Do you know how many players transfer every year in D1 basketball? Do you know how many teams don’t have players leave? This is the second player who has moved on who would have had eligibility next year. Hardly an indictment on the program.

Go back and watch the Nov-Dec games from this past season. Watch them. Then tell me:
A) Brycen Goodine didn't get a chance to prove himself
B) Brycen Goodine performed anywhere close to deserving significant PT once conference games started
In a vacuum , I agree with you. However , unless you are an elite recruit , you need time to develop and get better. No ,Goodine didn’t “earn” more playing time by his early play. That being said , he needed time to develop. It wasn’t offered and he believes it would be the same next year. Let me ask a hypothetical , totally realizing that this question is very black and white and assumption based. Would you, now that it is over , have sacrificed a winning season for the bench to develop more ? I remember debating mid season if we’d give up a few more wins this year in an effort to develop our bench more since a tournament bid didn’t look likely anyhow. We chose a path and this is part of the result. I agree this is assumption based. I’m posting a hypothetical question.

This is the same reporter who said on March 13 that everyone but Hughes is coming back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom