Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

a
And Hughes was a transfer from East Carolina that a lot here didn’t want.
Hughes was tremendous. He proved me and a significant portion of the fanbase wrong.

We still went 18-14 this year and 20-14 last year.

You expecting better next year?
When the heck do expectations become anything real.

My goodness the criticism is legitimate.

Exactly. He’s measured by beating other coaches and programs. And we are getting our a**es handed to us.
Not really. Kinda have to be under .500 for that to be happening. We also were 7-0 this year in second games No matter the first game

Not really. Kinda have to be under .500 for that to be happening. We also were 7-0 this year in second games No matter the first game

Oh please. How many wins did we have against the top 25? The ACC was awful this year. Is over .500 including cupcakes how we measure success now? And we talk like we are a top ten program of all time? The expectations have plummeted around here.

a

Hughes was tremendous. He proved me and a significant portion of the fanbase wrong.

We still went 18-14 this year and 20-14 last year.

You expecting better next year?
When the heck do expectations become anything real.

My goodness the criticism is legitimate.

We should expect nothing more than what we had this year for next year. We had a first team All ACC guy and won 17 regular season games. I don’t care if both Towns and Tape come here, we will struggle to get that many wins again with no Elijah and minimal depth.

There are ACC teams loading up and we won’t be able to compete. The top of the zone will be terrible defensively and we’ll struggle against mediocre teams.

Criticism is most certainly fair at this point.

Oh please. How many wins did we have against the top 25? The ACC was awful this year. Is over .500 including cupcakes how we measure success now? And we talk like we are a top ten program of all time? The expectations have plummeted around here.

I amazed at this shift in reality. The ACC was AWFUL this year and we still didn’t win 20. We beat 1 good team all year, Virginia...and we played FSU close. Outside of that we beat (and lost) to a bunch of NIT and sub NIT teams. Hooray.

look at these wins and this schedule. This looks like some PAC 10 team not the ACC

We should expect nothing more than what we had this year for next year. We had a first team All ACC guy and won 17 regular season games. I don’t care if both Towns and Tape come here, we will struggle to get that many wins again with no Elijah and minimal depth.

There are ACC teams loading up and we won’t be able to compete. The top of the zone will be terrible defensively and we’ll struggle against mediocre teams.

Criticism is most certainly fair at this point.
Not to a portion of this fanbase who don’t get our problems are real.

This thread is mystifying to me. A couple of folks have huge agendas and post the same thing over and over again. Careful what you wish for as success post Boeheim is not a given...ask the folks at Carolina when Matt Doherty took over, ask the folks at Indiana after Knight, ask the folks at Pitt after Dixon left, look at St John’s, look at UConn and look at Georgetown, etc.

The evolution of this team this year up to the very end was amazing. We saw it before our eyes. Buddy’s game dramatically improved from last year to this year...that curl jumper at the foul line was amazing,Girard’s lob passes and involvement of Sidibe as the year went on helped the evolution of Bourama, Marek’s aggression and speed was special. Even Edwards and Quincy made huge strides too. None of this happened by accident and is a result of great coaching by the entire staff. So here is to another 7 months in the weight room, development of more rounded games and new wrinkles. I personally truly appreciated the evolution we witnessed this year and look forward to next year with excitement and enthusiasm.

he is the one I don't want to see. I think he could be very good down the road.

Agreed. Kadary/Goodine is close enough to a wash for me that I’m not gonna lose sleep over it. I like Brycen, his D, and he has solid potential, but we play 3. Kadary has the length, athleticism, and more driving ability than Goodine to be the combo guy that spells JG, and Buddy. May be stronger, and a better rebounder too. Only time will tell, but it’s not an insurmountable talent gap.

Braswell has the ability to be the wing that thrives here down the line. Closer to a BJ impact down the road that we don’t want to lose again. Add Towns, and all is well. Tape would be icing on the cake. I’ll start sweating if we go into the year having to man the 3 with QG, MD, Woody, and maybe Buddy. Until then, I’m looking forward to seeing what the staff does. Obviously, I wish he stayed, and HW too, so we had backups at every spot. But, we have another offseason for every kid to improve, and channel that UNC energy, especially on D, and the glass. QG, Marek, and Sid is a solid front court to build on. But, I get it, the sky is falling with JG3, and Buddy up top. No chance they improve.

Sorry to see Goodine go. He won the preseason scrimmage 3-point shooting contest beating BuddyB, Hughes, and Girard - he made 12 of 15. I don't know what he did in practice all year but for one moment with the lights on he was the best outside shooter we had, better on defense too of course.

I've always liked a coach who played a lot of players. You can win either way - long bench, short bench - I just think the former is the way to go.

Funny thing is I normally like a short bench more then a long one.

wait are people rly trying to argue Goodine didn’t get a chance?
Wait, are people really arguing he got a chance? Try comparing how much leeway he got compared to Buddy the year before when Buddy was horrible for the 1st half of the year. You can't judge a guy who doesn't get a chance to play more than a few minutes consecutively in a game.

Wait, are people really arguing he got a chance? Try comparing how much leeway he got compared to Buddy the year before when Buddy was horrible for the 1st half of the year. You can't judge a guy who doesn't get a chance to play more than a few minutes consecutively in a game.
As have been proven buddy got barely any time after his bad start of the year until he starting doing better and got more time cause he was shooting 40 % from 3

As have been proven buddy got barely any time after his bad start of the year until he starting doing better and got more time cause he was shooting 40 % from 3
Buddy played all 32 games and averaged over 17 minutes a game. Goodine only played in 23 games and only played more than 17 minutes twice. How can you compare?

Boeheim's rotation (or lack thereof) becomes an even bigger problem with having a transfer portal. If they had that years ago, we would have lost a lot more quality players.

Buddy played all 32 games and averaged over 17 minutes a game. Goodine only played in 23 games and only played more than 17 minutes twice. How can you compare?

Boeheim's rotation (or lack thereof) becomes an even bigger problem with having a transfer portal. If they had that years ago, we would have lost a lot more quality players.
It’s easy to say if ands and buts. But the facts are there wasn’t this previously. Older players who have been “Boeheimed” have came back and said they should have listened to him back when they were riding pine or something similar

He may have been able to earn more PT with less pressure on him.

I think we could have got some more out of him if we just lowered expectations. Like, how about you just shoot threes - don't dribble, you don't have to play against teams that play pressure defense because that might overwhelm you - just do the thing you're good at - shooting. You won a contest so stats be darned, we know you can do it - just focus on that!

Don't worry about playing defense, or handling the ball, or driving. Just stand and spot up and if you're open - let's see what happens, BG! If you can hit 35% in bulk minutes - we got another superstar on our hands!

It’s easy to say if ands and buts. But the facts are there wasn’t this previously. Older players who have been “Boeheimed” have came back and said they should have listened to him back when they were riding pine or something similar
Those players weren’t Stuck sitting behind buddy and jgiii

If you read this board you would think that playing his son first is more important to JB. i don't believe that JB believes he is making compromises to accomplish that goal. I also don't think we lost much today
I do read the board. Obviously. And, just as obvious is that it's not a consensus that playing his son is 'more important.' And, of course, JB wouldn't think he's making compromises. That was the point. That should have been obvious, but not to everyone, i guess.

I do read the board. Obviously. And, just as obvious is that it's not a consensus that playing his son is 'more important.' And, of course, JB wouldn't think he's making compromises. That was the point. That should have been obvious, but not to everyone, i guess.
it's just that you are on another level

I wish Jim would use a deeper rotation but he just doesn’t. With the NCAA seemingly moving towards allowing kids to transfer without sitting out, situations like this will likely become normal for most schools if I had to guess. Kids want to play, it’s as simple as that. Howard was never going to have a real chance here; that was known pretty much from the moment he committed. Carey obviously didn’t work out here so that seemed obvious too; he needed a restart somewhere else.

Goodine is the one that feels like a potential missed opportunity. He obviously didn’t contribute much this year so from that perspective, it won’t be a big material loss, and his development could go either way, but I’m definitely a bit bummed to be losing him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom