Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

Noting that Buddy played more minutes than Brycen - without also noting that Buddy shot 41% from 3-pt range in conference play as a freshman, compared to 25% for Brycen this year (with only 3 made 3s) - is incredibly misleading.

Buddy played his way back into the rotation last year because he made shots. Brycen was unable to play his way back into the rotation because he didn’t make shots, and didn’t show any real ability to run the point (with his negative assist-to-turnover ratio).

That’s the comparison between the two players.
The comparison is Buddy played in every game to gain some confidence. Goodine didn't touch the court in 9 games in the middle of the year and most games he did touch it, he only played a few minutes, knowing he would be taken out for any mistake/missed shot. Anyone who has played Basketball at any level knows it's extremely hard to play well in those circumstances.

Last edited:
We’re going to miss Hughes on offense and defense. I just dont see how we get to 15 unless Guerrier’s j comes along and he’s the second coming of CJ Fair

I think steady improvement from all 4 returning starters and Quincy, along with one of them making a huge jump into an all league level player, as well as Kadary coming in and being an impact player right away would give us a pretty solid team. That’s all best scenario stuff though. We’ll see.

The comparison is Buddy was every game to gain some confidence. Goodine didn't touch the court in 9 games in the middle of the year and most games he did touch it, he only played a few minutes, knowing he would be taken out for any mistake/missed shot. Anyone who has played Basketball at any level knows it's extremely hard to play well in those circumstances.

Buddy collected some DNP’s his freshman year too though.

I think steady improvement from all 4 returning starters and Quincy, along with one of them making a huge jump into an all league level player, as well as Kadary coming in and being an impact player right away would give us a pretty solid team. That’s all best scenario stuff though. We’ll see.
A lot pending on how Guerrier and Sidibe improve this offseason. I think Marek’s reached his ceiling but wouldn’t be surprised if he proves me wrong. I don’t feel confident relying in buddy and joe at the moment.

A lot pending on how Guerrier and Sidibe improve this offseason. I think Marek’s reached his ceiling but wouldn’t be surprised if he proves me wrong. I don’t feel confident relying in buddy and joe at the moment.

My best case scenario would be something like:

Girard makes mild statistical improvements and gives us something like 13 and 5 on 38% shooting(35% from 3)

Buddy same thing: maybe 16 ppg on 39% from 3

Quincy gives us 11 and 7.

Marek rediscovers the outside shot that was improving his sophomore year and at least becomes a guy who can knock down open 3s(junior year CJ Fair style) and makes a big jump to a 17 and 8, second team all ACC level guy.

Sidibe builds off his strong end of the season and gives us 8 points and 10 boards a game.

Kadary is ready to help and has his moments and maybe gives 6 ppg off the bench - like a freshman Waiters or Deshaun Williams level production.

And Edwards is at least ready to be a legit decent backup who doesn’t just play in emergencies, but gives you a reasonably decent 7-8 mpg.

That's a bit much, but Waiters playing less than 30 a game his sophomore year was a crime.

I feel like Joseph was the only guy who got 30 on that whole team though, if I remember right. That was the rare team where JB went deep, and it was often different guys on different nights and didn’t ride a couple of the same guys for 35+. We had a true 3 guard rotation.

Marek reached his ceiling?

THE CEILING IS THE ROOF!!!
And we’re getting a higher shiny new one!!!
:cool:

He shot 38% from 3 a season ago.
Struggled from there early this year (due to injury recovery) , so JB gave him (and Q) the red light.

No reason he can’t shoot 3x % again from 3 as a Senior.
If nothing else, it will keep defenders honest, having to respect he can hit them while open.
Which makes his driving game that much more lethal vs. the guys who are assigned to check him.

Smaller dudes - shoot right over them.
Bigger dudes - take them off the dribble.

I feel like Joseph was the only guy who got 30 on that whole team though, if I remember right. That was the rare team where JB went deep, and it was often different guys on different nights and didn’t ride a couple of the same guys for 35+. We had a true 3 guard rotation.

You're probably right about Joseph, and yes I liked having a rotation, but the gap between Waiters and the other 2 guys and Buddy and Goodine were far great when it came to skills yet the number 4 pick couldn't get 30 a game while Buddy can get 45 minutes against Miami.

I've been pretty quiet this season for a lot of reasons but the main reason is I've seen this coming for years and I'm kind of over it until change happens.

Dior coming would be a change needed, unfortunately I doubt he ever shows up.

My best case scenario would be something like:

Girard makes mild statistical improvements and gives us something like 13 and 5 on 38% shooting(35% from 3)

Buddy same thing: maybe 16 ppg on 39% from 3

Quincy gives us 11 and 7.

Marek rediscovers the outside shot that was improving his sophomore year and at least becomes a guy who can knock down open 3s(junior year CJ Fair style) and makes a big jump to a 17 and 8, second team all ACC level guy.

Sidibe builds off his strong end of the season and gives us 8 points and 10 boards a game.

Kadary is ready to help and has his moments and maybe gives 6 ppg off the bench - like a freshman Waiters or Deshaun Williams level production.

And Edwards is at least ready to be a legit decent backup who doesn’t just play in emergencies, but gives you a reasonably decent 7-8 mpg.

In that scenario, we still may likely be headed to another 16 loss season as was probable this year had it not been for the Coronavirus pandemic abruptly ending the season.

All is well...

I didnt even see this before my last post. Is there any connection to him and any of the exiting players? I do believe there was some type of coup with everyone leaving.

If many people here are as upset we are with our great white hypes up top leading us to one of our worst seasons ever, how are the players feeling about it while they sit on the bench and dont even have a chance to crack the rotation.

In that scenario, we still may likely be headed to another (16) loss season as was probable this year had it not be for the Coronavirus pandemic abruptly ending the season.

Think we’d win 20 or so if Marek becomes a stud, the other 4 starters are solid, and we’ve got a good guard off the bench.

We didn’t have the “4 other solid starters” part or then”good guard off the bench part” this year.

I haven't posted it yet, but I've been working on a minutes analysis.

You're right that the year Joseph led us in minutes was a big time outlier. He was the only guy over 30 mpg, and at that, was only at 32.

You're probably right about Joseph, and yes I liked having a rotation, but the gap between Waiters and the other 2 guys and Buddy and Goodine were far great when it came to skills yet the number 4 pick couldn't get 30 a game while Buddy can get 45 minutes against Miami.

I've been pretty quiet this season for a lot of reasons but the main reason is I've seen this coming for years and I'm kind of over it until change happens.

Dior coming would be a change needed, unfortunately I doubt he ever shows up.

Scoop and Triche were veteran returning starters and proven solid players.

Goodine was a freshman who didn’t look ready for prime time at all until possibly getting there in Feb.?

The comparison is Buddy was every game to gain some confidence. Goodine didn't touch the court in 9 games in the middle of the year and most games he did touch it, he only played a few minutes, knowing he would be taken out for any mistake/missed shot. Anyone who has played Basketball at any level knows it's extremely hard to play well in those circumstances.
You're wrong - Buddy got multiple DNPs last year and had many games where he got minimal minutes. You should look up last year's game log, you'll probably come away surprised by how little he played between 11/15 and 1/15.

Also, Brycen broke his nose this season - you knew that, right? Don't you think it's relevant to factor that into the equation? Why'd you leave that part out?

Goodine did not get the stereotypical "He was Boeheim-ed!" treatment, where he would get quickly pulled after making a mistake. He really didn't make very many mistakes, tbh - most of the shots he took were within the flow of the offense, he just didn't really make many of them.

You're wrong - Buddy got multiple DNPs last year and had many games where he got minimal minutes. You should look up last year's game log, you'll probably come away surprised by how little he played between 11/15 and 1/15.

Also, Brycen broke his nose this season - you knew that, right? Don't you think it's relevant to factor that into the equation? Why'd you leave that part out?

Goodine did not get the stereotypical "He was Boeheim-ed!" treatment, where he would get quickly pulled after making a mistake. He really didn't make very many mistakes, tbh - most of the shots he took were within the flow of the offense, he just didn't really make many of them.
So you think he got the same opportunity as Buddy?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom