Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

I liked Goodine.

JB saw these guys play nearly every day for 7 months. Based on seeing that, he gave Joe 35+ minutes. Clearly JB thought Joe was a better option this year.

I agree JB didn’t play the back ups enough. But the amount of people who think Goodine is a better player than JG based on seeing him for 50 minutes in the past 10 games is ridiculous. HoWash got more PT than Goodine lately too. Sure, Goodine could be better eventually but JB has seen Goodine play more than all of us
I guess defense all of sudden doesn't matter to JB.
As Goodine was better on defense.
Girard didn't set the world on fire to start the year. He was average but because Carey struggled average looks better. Goodine did not get the chance Girard got. That doesn't make sense as if defense matters the HC he would have given Goodine more minutes. Our defense was not good this year.

I liked Goodine.

JB saw these guys play nearly every day for 7 months. Based on seeing that, he gave Joe 35+ minutes. Clearly JB thought Joe was a better option this year.

I agree JB didn’t play the back ups enough. But the amount of people who think Goodine is a better player than JG based on seeing him for 50 minutes in the past 10 games is ridiculous. HoWash got more PT than Goodine lately too. Sure, Goodine could be better eventually but JB has seen Goodine play more than all of us

But also Boeheim is capable of errors. We have precedent for this.

Girard had 3 points and 2 assists against Virginia. That is not good.
The kid got the job and his PER was average while playing 33MPG. Goodine was not given the rope Girard got.

JB treats every game like its the last. He doesn't play the long and with our program right now that is a major problem.
Who the bleep cares about being mediocre. We don't think about the long game.

Not sure why you keep ignoring exhibition games like they never happened and had no bearing on what would happen in real games in these kinds of discussions...

Or why you just mentioned game 1 - a game when the whole team sucked and we scored 34.

JB needs to start using some of his bench. He did more so in the past. 3-4 guys are playing 38-40 minutes a game. Guys will continue to leave due to lack of playing time when the guys in front of them aren’t much much better.

What’s that got to do with what I said in response to what you said?

Goodine played in 23 games. He only got 8.7 MPG there is no way that is fair to the thing. Our HC treats every game like its game 7 he doesn't play the long game anymore.
This kid got screwed flat out. He didn't get a fair chance to show what he had. He didn't have the leash his fellow Freshman got.
I wish he wasn't leaving, but to say "he got screwed flat out" makes no sense to me. It's not like he was knocking down shots and dropping dimes, but stubborn ol' JB benched him, anyway.

In the first 8 games of the season, Brycen was 0-for-10 from 3-pt range and had 8 assists against 12 turnovers. So he really didn't showcase that he was a great shooter or a great ball-handler, but JB was supposed to force-feed him minutes when we were sitting at 4-4 on the season? I don't get that logic at all...

Goodine was also battling Howard Washington for minutes. My impression is that he was behind Washington in the pecking order.

He was, as a PG. because Howard is a PG and at this point Goodine doesn’t appear to be one. Looks like a pure 2 to me, but could develop into one of those combo guards that can handle some PG down the road.

Not sure why you keep ignoring exhibition games like they never happened and had no bearing on what would happen in real games in these kinds of discussions...

Or why you just mentioned game 1 - a game when the whole team sucked and we scored 34.
So basically preseason football games for JB would determine who his starting QB would be?

Exhibitions are about practice. They should have absolutely nothing to do with who plays 32MPG and who plays 6 MPG.

Don't we play some man to man in them?

I wish he wasn't leaving, but to say "he got screwed flat out" makes no sense to me. It's not like he was knocking down shots and dropping dimes, but stubborn ol' JB benched him, anyway.

In the first 8 games of the season, Brycen was 0-for-10 from 3-pt range and had 8 assists against 12 turnovers. So he really didn't showcase that he was a great shooter or a great ball-handler, but JB was supposed to force-feed him minutes when we were sitting at 4-4 on the season? I don't get that logic at all...

It’s revisionist history bellyaching born out of frustration, as far as I can see.

Girard had 3 points and 2 assists against Virginia. That is not good.
The kid got the job and his PER was average while playing 33MPG. Goodine was not given the rope Girard got.

JB treats every game like its the last. He doesn't play the long and with our program right now that is a major problem.
Who the bleep cares about being mediocre. We don't think about the long game.
Goodine played 11 minutes or more in six of the first ten games. Looking at the stats, thete wasn't much he did to justify getting 20 minutes per game. Yes he should have played more but he really didn't show he deserved it.

I liked Goodine.

The same man that admitted that he screwed the pooch at the 5 spot for years

So basically preseason football games for JB would determine who his starting QB would be?

Exhibitions are about practice. They should have absolutely nothing to do with who plays 32MPG and who plays 6 MPG.

Don't we play some man to man in them?

They don’t play preseason football games. If they did, I’m sure Joe Fields would’ve never started a real game at QB for us though.

I don’t think we’ve played man in a preseason game since Lemoyne in 2009-10.

Girard had that preseason game where he went nuts from the field and had 20+ on great shooting. Then he came in at PG(a role where Goodine showed absolutely nothing at any point) and got the team and game turned around by playing a desperately needed steady floor game in game 2. Then he had 24 points on 7-8 shooting in game 3.

Like I said...he earned his role very early on.

I guess defense all of sudden doesn't matter to JB.
As Goodine was better on defense.
Girard didn't set the world on fire to start the year. He was average but because Carey struggled average looks better. Goodine did not get the chance Girard got. That doesn't make sense as if defense matters the HC he would have given Goodine more minutes. Our defense was not good this year.
But also Boeheim is capable of errors. We have precedent for this.

Goodine definitely looked better on defense.
We definitely need to use our bench more.

Practice matters. I have to imagine if JG and Goodine we’re close in practice, the PT would have been closer to even. Maybe Joe got such a long leash because JB has seen these kids every day since October and knew what each of them could do? He absolutely can (and has) been wrong, but JB wants to win and he stuck with the Joe/Buddy back court because he thought that was best

You looked at JG3 stats right? He wasn't lighting the world on fire against Oklahoma State, Penn State, Iowa. He actually got PT to develop.
He got more PT in the Oklahoma State game than Bryce Goodine got in all 3 of those games combined.
It's not like Girard lit it up either. He wasn't good defensively and was just okay offensively.

Goodine did not get the chance Girard got. Goodine was the higher rated recruit as well.

I liked Goodine.

He also kept coming to the conclusion that he could get Jalen Carey to play PG....something most people figured out wasn't a really solid idea right when last season began.

You looked at JG3 stats right? He wasn't lighting the world on fire against Oklahoma State, Penn State, Iowa. He actually got PT to develop.
He got more PT in the Oklahoma State game than Bryce Goodine got in all 3 of those games combined.
It's not like Girard lit it up either. He wasn't good defensively and was just okay offensively.

Goodine did not get the chance Girard got. Goodine was the higher rated recruit as well.

You’re picking and choosing what to focus on.

Girard had 24 points on 7-8 shooting in the third game of the year - which cemented his role for all those other games you mentioned.

And he was like...actually a PG.

Im fully on board with the “Buddy and Girard don’t need to play 40” and “Goodine couldve played more”, but cmon. Joe clearly was the best option as the starting PG and it wasn’t close.

I did look at JG3's stats. In his first start, he went 7-8 from the field (5-6 from 3-pt range) and grabbed 5 boards, dished 2 assists (against 3 TOs) and came up with 2 steals. Do you remember that game? Which Brycen performance in November/December most closely approximated that one, in your opinion?

Yes he definitely showed promise towards the end of the year and he’s tall, he’s a tall point guard with a lot of length so that’s what made me like him that much more In terms of the zone. now he’s gone and it’s a damn shame! Something Musta happened behind the scenes

Yeah, he didn't play for almost the entire year. And then when Buddy went down with the sprained ankle, we saw, "oh, he CAN play"!
He was spotty early in the year, but he got the chance to make literally one mistake and then he came out, every game before that he played.

He got the chance every day in practice. Girard was better. Not arguing that he should have seen him more at the expense of both starting guards but saying he didn’t get the same chance to impress is just plain stupid. Why can’t you all see that?

Goodine definitely looked better on defense.
We definitely need to use our bench more.

Practice matters. I have to imagine if JG and Goodine we’re close in practice, the PT would have been closer to even. Maybe Joe got such a long leash because JB has seen these kids every day since October and knew what each of them could do? He absolutely can (and has) been wrong, but JB wants to win and he stuck with the Joe/Buddy back court because he thought that was best
If practice matters what in practice matters? Girard is not better defensively than Goodine.
Girard is a better scorer. Joe Girard shot 36% from the field this year playing all those minutes. He was not efficient at all. He is a tremendous FT shooter and can shoot the 3 but his FG % better rise a lot next year.

What Girard does better than Goodine is shoot the ball. Also to be fair early on he was more comfortable with ball but Goodine didn't get the rope to show what he could do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom