Buddy is Top 5 in NCAA in Made Threes | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy is Top 5 in NCAA in Made Threes

And he's only recently displayed this kind of scoring versatility. I'd expect his game will continue to evolve in this direction as he gains more confidence.

He has - I'm wary about expecting much in the way of progress with the lack of athleticism, etc... Again, very much dependent on how things shake out next year, but if Hughes does go, and Buddy has a SF a bit less versatile than Hughes out there to suck up the defensive attention, what happens?

When the mismatches aren't there, we're often just stuck waiting for threes...which means sitting back, sort of like what you saw against Duke, we wade through 32 minutes of pedestrian play, only to see 2 or 3 quick threes and everyone yelling, "yeah, that's why's he's in there folks! Watch out!"

I don't know that I love that trade off - especially on a squad sans Hughes (and I'm a tad skeptical his usage is going down much in the future). Anyway, at this point he seems adept at recognizing and exploiting mismatches, and some progress on scoring inside the arc.

"Yeah, White and Cooney always reminded me of Maravich when they had the ball in their hands."

OK you rank them then . andy . triche. scoop. tyus .cooney. aw3. dion. gillon and buddy.

curious to see your take who's the worst handle here . (hint : one dude never brings the ball cross court.)
list them 1-9.
The topic was shooting. Please rank them as shooters 1-9

For the love of god, now your problem is that he isn't a primary ball handler? JFC, you are nuts.

Who the hell cares, there are two guys JB has entrusted with it, and I'm pretty sure that I saw him as a primary outlet while breaking dukes press.

Just stop.
Might be your best post ever.

He has - I'm wary about expecting much in the way of progress with the lack of athleticism, etc... Again, very much dependent on how things shake out next year, but if Hughes does go, and Buddy has a SF a bit less versatile than Hughes out there to suck up the defensive attention, what happens?

When the mismatches aren't there, we're often just stuck waiting for threes...which means sitting back, sort of like what you saw against Duke, we wade through 32 minutes of pedestrian play, only to see 2 or 3 quick threes and everyone yelling, "yeah, that's why's he's in there folks! Watch out!"

I don't know that I love that trade off - especially on a squad sans Hughes (and I'm a tad skeptical his usage is going down much in the future). Anyway, at this point he seems adept at recognizing and exploiting mismatches, and some progress on scoring inside the arc.

buddy played really well his freshman season, is playing even better this year, and will Likely be even better next year. Wouldn’t worry about him. He may put up 20 a game next year.

No, Girard may be the next Jimmer Fredette. Is that good enough for you?

I guess? Not sure how to answer this one. What else might he be the next of?

Buddy has been improving his game on O from his freshman season and even getting better during this season with as some have said his going to the basket. I'm thrilled with his progression on O as a soph.

As for a comparison to Cooney...Cooney is far more athletic and way better on D but shooting wise at the same stage of their careers I'd tip it to Buddy and also overall O as well.

buddy played really well his freshman season, is playing even better this year, and will Likely be even better next year. Wouldn’t worry about him. He may put up 20 a game next year.

I think he probably will put up 20 next year. Buddy probably gonna own every single scoring record in Syracuse history by the time he leaves. Maybe by the end of next year if we're lucky.

Buddy is great - I have no issue with Buddy. Again, think he's the type of player we've desperately been in need of. Not sure he's the type of player we've desperately needed as a 40MPG guy. I would guess that descends to him being a 35 MPG guy next year - and I remain convinced that having guards that lack requisite guard skills is problematic (and has been for a bit). Unless you're striving to be ND and hope to strike it rich once every 5 years with the pot of gold at the end of the scoring rainbow. That's all.

Anyway, it's not much of a new issue for me - just an overcorrection (and some of that is Carey not panning out obviously, so it's not all on recruiting, etc..). We'll see how things shake out with Goodine, and Kadary.

Last edited:
Yeah...the 40 minute thing imo isn't the way Jim should do this in the big picture because he has to develop some depth at the 2 and 1 and give Buddy a rest while sitting him for 4 to 5 minutes each game. People say the depth problem is because of the probation but to me it's the not playing the bench, who wants to not play or just get 2 or 3 minutes a game for the next 2 years?

My license plate for this year is panning out well. I'm living in Sacramento right now so this applies for both Buddy Boeheim and Buddy Hield chucking 3s.

1580914845978.png

I think he probably will put up 20 next year. Buddy probably gonna own every single scoring record in Syracuse history by the time he leaves. Maybe by the end of next year if we're lucky.

Buddy is great - I have no issue with Buddy. Again, think he's the type of player we've desperately been in need of. Not sure he's the type of player we've desperately needed as a 40MPG guy. I would guess that descends to him being a 35 MPG guy next year - and I remain convinced that having guards that lack requisite guard skills is problematic (and has been for a bit). Unless you're striving to be ND and hope to strike it rich once every 5 years with the pot of gold at the end of the scoring rainbow. That's all.

Anyway, it's not much of a new issue for me - just an overcorrection (and some of that is Carey not panning out obviously, so it's not all on recruiting, etc..). We'll see how things shake out with Goodine, and Kadary.

who cares if he plays 40?

He’s really a 36 mpg game.

what guard skills do our guards lack?

I guess? Not sure how to answer this one. What else might he be the next of?

You guess? Lmao.

Guess you’ll have to wait and see. The kid can play.

People say the depth problem is because of the probation but to me it's the not playing the bench, who wants to not play or just get 2 or 3 minutes a game for the next 2 years?

Who do you want to play? We are trying to win games.

You guess? Lmao.

Guess you’ll have to wait and see. The kid can play.

Eh, I never like to jump in headfirst on these he's going to be this other fantastic white kid because he's fantastic and white comparisons. It seems far to simple - so I assume I'm being tricked! But, yes, it's likely inevitable and I'm excited.

who cares if he plays 40?

He’s really a 36 mpg game.

what guard skills do our guards lack?

They don't guard people very well, or drive, or dish all that well. Although Girard did have a pretty amazing drive/dish against Duke.

All of those things are traits I value in guards. They shoot pretty well, and minimize errors. Also things I value. :) It's all how you weight them together I suppose.

I feel like people think we have a unicorn in Buddy. There is a reason mid-majors are littered with those types of players, and P5 types have them as 20 MPG guys. It's not like those kids come in against P5 teams, playing 35 MPG on some mid-major, and can't occasionally get to the rim. Buddy isn't showing us things on the court so shocking that brains should be exploding with such regularity.

I'm certainly not implying they're inept (AT ALL) - but stacking them in a back court with big minutes, eh, dangerous proposition unless you have a REALLY dynamic SF when the ball is in his hands.

I will say again though, how Goodine, Richmond, etc...integrate into the lineup could change it all next year. Who knows. I just remain a bit skeptical on that. As I know for a fact that Goodine is bad at practicing, and fear Richmond may be bad in that regard as well.

Eh, I never like to jump in headfirst on these he's going to be this other fantastic white kid because he's fantastic and white comparisons. It seems far to simple - so I assume I'm being tricked! But, yes, it's likely inevitable and I'm excited.

Eh...their games are very similar, both great shooters, high scorers, they are the same size, they work out together, etc.

The comparison makes sense.

They don't guard people very well, or drive, or dish all that well. Although Girard did have a pretty amazing drive/dish against Duke.

All of those things are traits I value in guards. They shoot pretty well, and minimize errors. Also things I value. :) It's all how you weight them together I suppose.

I feel like people think we have a unicorn in Buddy. There is a reason mid-majors are littered with those types of players, and P5 types have them as 20 MPG guys. It's not like those kids come in against P5 teams, playing 35 MPG on some mid-major, and can't occasionally get to the rim. Buddy isn't showing us things on the court so shocking that brains should be exploding with such regularity.

I'm certainly not implying they're inept (AT ALL) - but stacking them in a back court with big minutes, eh, dangerous proposition unless you have a REALLY dynamic SF when the ball is in his hands.

I will say again though, how Goodine, Richmond, etc...integrate into the lineup could change it all next year. Who knows. I just remain a bit skeptical on that. As I know for a fact that Goodine is bad at practicing, and fear Richmond may be bad in that regard as well.
The thing about Buddy getting to the rim, is that his drives rarely end with him at the rim. He does put the ball on the floor more this year than last, but his drives typically end in a fade away or short jumper between 8-12 feet from the hoop.

Girard is a freshman, and Buddy is a sophomore. I suspect both will get better on D. I think they both drive pretty well, especially Girard. And Girard is a good passer. Neither is Tyus Battle, but people complained that Tyus couldn‘t shoot, right?

I’ll take a 6-6 deadeye shooter anytime. One that can back his man down and shoot over him. I bet Washington and Hop wishes he had one. Buddy is 6th in scoring in the ACC. As a sophomore. He can play. Kids like him aren’t that easy to find. North Carolina doesn‘t have one, do they? They usually recruit pretty well.

What choice do we have? Again, who cares about big minutes?

I wouldn’t hold your breath.

The thing about Buddy getting to the rim, is that his drives rarely end with him at the rim. He does put the ball on the floor more this year than last, but his drives typically end in a fade away or short jumper between 8-12 feet from the hoop.
He can make those shot reasonably well, though, and he is taking it all the way to the rim on occasion (with mixed success), so I like what I'm seeing from him. He seems to be gaining confidence and figuring out how to score when teams take the three away from him or he is having an off night from out there.

You did watch the season, right?
so this entire threads is to let everyone know that buddy Is a great player? Or to to make us feel better that we can’t get the talent that we used to get

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom