Buddy suspended for Duke | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy suspended for Duke

What might help Buddy's cause is that the refs didn't call a foul, a technical nor an ejection on Buddy. However, in the rule book it does say that the conference can look at a suspension afterwards for a fight. Flagrant 2 is mentioned 163 times in the rule book, trip is mentioned 4 times, suspension is mentioned eight times but punch isn't mentioned at all. The definition of a flagrant 2 is on page 48.

Page 106: The following apply to situations in which a fight has been reported by an official during his jurisdiction. When a fight is not reported by an official, the conference or assigning authority may invoke its own penalty. For the rules on suspensions for fighting. (See Rule 10-5)

Page 48: 2. Flagrant 2 personal foul. A flagrant 2 personal foul is a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe (brutal, harsh, cruel) or extreme (dangerous, punishing),while the ball is live. In determining whether a foul has risen to the level of a flagrant 2, officials should consider the following: a) The severity of the contact; b) Whether a player is making a legitimate effort to block a shot. Note that a player may still be assessed a flagrant 2 foul on an attempted blocked shot when there are other factors, such as hard contact to the head or the defender winding up or emphatically following through with the contact. Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, this foul also could be considered a flagrant 1 or common personal foul; c) The potential for injury resulting from the contact (e.g., a blow to the head or a foul committed while the player was in a vulnerable position). Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, the foul also could be considered a flagrant 1 or common personal foul; d) Any contact by the offending player to the groin area of an opponent which is not clearly accidental; and e) Any foul similar to the foul described in Rule 4-15.2.c.1.g in which the contact, or the result of the contact, is not only excessive but also severe or extreme. Note: The above acts represent examples of potential flagrant 2 fouls. Other acts may also qualify, if they meet the criteria of being not only excessive but also severe or extreme.

How would buddy's punch compare to Juwan Howard's scoop slap attempt?
I think the flop take is BS. It looked like he lost his wind which can easily happen if hit in certain spot unexpectedly. Unfortunately if he does not react like that it’s a much different story.

How would buddy's punch compare to Juwan Howard's scoop slap attempt?
I think the flop take is BS. It looked like he lost his wind which can easily happen if hit in certain spot unexpectedly. Unfortunately if he does not react like that it’s a much different story. Sorry quoted wrong post here!

It looked like a hard tap. I know I'm in the minority on this, but a half hearted jab isn't the same as a full on swing. Dumb decision, but there has to be degrees separating this, and a swing.
You can argue that a punch is a punch but some people are making this out to be Kermit Washington vs Rudy Tomjonavich. A haymaker it wasn't.

I don't think so. I think the league will talk to buddy, Jim, review the tape and make a decision. They might talk to Hamilton (hope so after that video) and I guess it's possible they talk to Wilkes. I think Buddy will get a fair shake. If he is suspended, he deserves it. I just want the League to be consistent in how they dole out punishment. Up to this point, I don't believe they have been.
good post

What might help Buddy's cause is that the refs didn't call a foul, a technical nor an ejection on Buddy. However, in the rule book it does say that the conference can look at a suspension afterwards for a fight. Flagrant 2 is mentioned 163 times in the rule book, trip is mentioned 4 times, suspension is mentioned eight times but punch isn't mentioned at all. The definition of a flagrant 2 is on page 48.

Page 106: The following apply to situations in which a fight has been reported by an official during his jurisdiction. When a fight is not reported by an official, the conference or assigning authority may invoke its own penalty. For the rules on suspensions for fighting. (See Rule 10-5)

Page 48: 2. Flagrant 2 personal foul. A flagrant 2 personal foul is a personal foul that involves contact with an opponent that is not only excessive, but also severe (brutal, harsh, cruel) or extreme (dangerous, punishing),while the ball is live. In determining whether a foul has risen to the level of a flagrant 2, officials should consider the following: a) The severity of the contact; b) Whether a player is making a legitimate effort to block a shot. Note that a player may still be assessed a flagrant 2 foul on an attempted blocked shot when there are other factors, such as hard contact to the head or the defender winding up or emphatically following through with the contact. Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, this foul also could be considered a flagrant 1 or common personal foul; c) The potential for injury resulting from the contact (e.g., a blow to the head or a foul committed while the player was in a vulnerable position). Depending on the nature of the contact, or the result of the contact, the foul also could be considered a flagrant 1 or common personal foul; d) Any contact by the offending player to the groin area of an opponent which is not clearly accidental; and e) Any foul similar to the foul described in Rule 4-15.2.c.1.g in which the contact, or the result of the contact, is not only excessive but also severe or extreme. Note: The above acts represent examples of potential flagrant 2 fouls. Other acts may also qualify, if they meet the criteria of being not only excessive but also severe or extreme.

The word trip was added after Allen graduated. Lol.

I think the flop take is BS. It looked like he lost his wind which can easily happen if hit in certain spot unexpectedly. Unfortunately if he does not react like that it’s a much different story. Sorry quoted wrong post here!
Doesn’t take much force to get your wind knocked out if hit unexpectedly in the right spot .. if expecting a punch you tense up your abdominal muscles and they act as a shield

Fwiw, Waters said he spoke with BIASED ESPN Dukie, Jay Bilas...and he said he thinks Buddy should not be suspended
LOL Well, Jay is wrong. Jay and JB have had a relationship since Jay was in high school. You may not know that. We recruited him and he almost came to Syracuse. Meanwhile, the network itself keeps showing the film like it was the Zapruder film.

Cant even enjoy a win. This sums up the season perfectly
What’s more curious to me is the concept that buddy is the difference between us winning and losing .. it’s the difference between losing by 20 and 40

This buddygate is going to insane levels… now the story is he did get mad cause he was shoved… he did form his fist into a ball and throw a punch .. but it was only intended as a means to create momentum to get back down the court .. Billy Ray Cervix just got in the way .
Thats what she said.

What’s more curious to me is the concept that buddy is the difference between us winning and losing .. it’s the difference between losing by 20 and 40
we aren’t winning, but if we can get a lead, maybe we have two halves of basketball to watch

Little stat Waters had this week. 6 times in JB 's career, we have played teams that have beat us twice by a total of over 30 pts in the two games. Then played them in a post season tournament. We are 5-1 in those games and the only loss, 1984 vs G-town. A game that was stolen from us by Jody Slyvester the ref. I find that to be an amazing stat. And I guarantee you that no one thought before those games were played, that we would win those 5 games.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom