Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2017 Why do I put myself through this season thread

Philly has some speed right? Unfortunately he's under 6 feet tall...

if I didn't know better I'd say Bills were still owned by Ralph an they were trying to stay under some sort of budget... but given Pegs has no problem paying out, I have no idea what they are thinking regarding RB and WR.

Yeah, just have to hopefully win this Sunday and look for a move over the buy week..

Philly has some speed right? Unfortunately he's under 6 feet tall...

if I didn't know better I'd say Bills were still owned by Ralph an they were trying to stay under some sort of budget... but given Pegs has no problem paying out, I have no idea what they are thinking regarding RB and WR.

The Bills are pretty much smack dab in the middle in terms of player salaries this season. I don't think this is a case of trying to stay under a budget (besides the salary cap). I think it's simply that they don't want to trade assets for short-term pieces, so they're willing to settle on a guy that can at least be a deep threat (which they desperately need) and knows the playbook rather than trying to bring someone new in and teach them. And then they can evaluate how Philly did and consider signing someone over the bye week.

I imagine that WR and backup RB will be a priority this upcoming offseason.

The Bills are pretty much smack dab in the middle in terms of player salaries this season. I don't think this is a case of trying to stay under a budget (besides the salary cap). I think it's simply that they don't want to trade assets for short-term pieces, so they're willing to settle on a guy that can at least be a deep threat (which they desperately need) and knows the playbook rather than trying to bring someone new in and teach them.

I imagine that WR and backup RB will be a priority this upcoming offseason.
Yea, I don't get any feeling that we're trying to nickel and dime. It seems we're building a "team" while making sure we have financial flexibility moving forward.

Tons of draft picks and the ability to resign Jordan Matthews and EJ Gaines types and reward players who buy in and ball out.

We also see what they can do in identifying players who fit the scheme and I'll take Poyer/Hyde/White/Gaines for roughly the same amount as Gilmore.

Very impressive so far even if, for the life of me, I don't understand what we're doing at WR and RB.

Yea, I don't get any feeling that we're trying to nickel and dime. It seems we're building a "team" while making sure we have financial flexibility moving forward.

Tons of draft picks and the ability to resign Jordan Matthews and EJ Gaines types and reward players who buy in and ball out.

We also see what they can do in identifying players who fit the scheme and I'll take Poyer/Hyde/White/Gaines for roughly the same amount as Gilmore.

Very impressive so far even if, for the life of me, I don't understand what we're doing at WR and RB.

Did you see Gilmore got benched by the Pats on Sunday until an injury brought him back in the game?

Oh, are they not a fan of him letting someone run by him and then pointing at someone with a confused look on his face?

We definitely made out well with the secondary offseason moves. I loved the Hyde signing at the time but I didn't realize Poyer was going to be as good as he is. Then White has just been a stud so far. This honestly isn't sour grapes because Gilmore is gone to the Pats, but I'm more impressed with White than I ever was with Gilmore. Even when he got burned a couple times against Denver, he forgot about it and came back to make some big plays.

Oh, are they not a fan of him letting someone run by him and then pointing at someone else with a confused look on his face?

I was at the Ralph when Gilmore pulled that stunt one time (ironically, against the Pats on a TD pass to Chris Hogan)...let's just say I was happy to see him go. Agree that White has looked the part- hopefully he can continue to grow.

Very happy that Dennison has shown the ability to scheme around the strengths of Tyrod.

It's very clear that quick drops, in the pocket, quick release, was not going to work for him.

We tried it. Our offense looked terrible. We changed. Now we have deep shotgun drops to give him more room/time and plenty of playaction/rollouts. He is deadly in that scheme.

I'd like to see more out of Tyrod and less Tolbert but they seem very intent on using a battering ram as part of the offense.

McDermott essentially just stated that Dareus is in competition for his starting spot alongside Kyle.

Ooooo shots fired...

I know they are trying to build and preserve financial flexibility but you have to think there are street and practice squad FAs they could pick up for a few weeks at RB and WR? I mean Jonathan Williams is still on a practice squad. There seems to be an opportunity to win now they should see if they can take advantage of it. At least they signed a WR this week... I have no idea whats going on at RB, I mean freaking Demarco was the RB for a play against Atlanta in the red zone.

McDermott essentially just stated that Dareus is in competition for his starting spot alongside Kyle.

Ooooo shots fired...

I don't mind it. Some discipline is a fresh change from the past 2 seasons. I can't believe the front office didn't structure the contract in a way to make it easier to get out of if Dareus decided to be a doofus.

Any scouting report on EJ Manuel? Oakland is playing the Ravens, so can EJ at least game manage the Raiders to a win?

Any scouting report on EJ Manuel? Oakland is playing the Ravens, so can EJ at least game manage the Raiders to a win?

I would like to think that with the Ravens not being good, and the Raiders in theory having a really talented team around him, EJ could win that. He's pretty bad though. Not an accurate passer, struggles with when to throw a laser versus when to throw a touch pass, and he's a bit turnover prone.

They just interviewed White on Sportcenter this morning. Seems like a very likable guy. I imagine his pre-draft interviews with the Bills made just as much of an impression as what he could do on the field.

Not really a scouting report, per se, but I did catch EJ's last drive with the Raiders on Sunday afternoon. Honestly, it was vintage EJ: he has a great arm but still stares down receivers. He also has a tendency to throw off his back foot, which resulted in him sailing a few passes high (this is my assumption, I'm not a mechanical expert). In his defense, he had three WRs drop passes that were right on the money. His day ended (as did the game) with a brutal interception into double coverage.

In other words...he is who we thought he was.

Terrible. I think he had potential at one time but the Bills totally destroyed his development. His game in London against Jacksonville was the last straw for me with him.He made JP Losman and Trent Edwards look like NFL MVP's.

Big one today. Get to 4-1, including 3-0 in the AFC, and get healthy in the bye week. Think the key on both sides is the running game. If Shady gets going I like our chances. I think there is an overreaction to Cincy's victory over the Browns- first couple weeks they were a disaster offensively. Hopefully Gaines plays, defense doesn't miss Humber too much and the pattern continues.

This is exactly the type of game Buffalo always seems to lose...hopefully this is truly a new regime with new results. Bills 20-17.