Buffalo Bills 2019 | Page 160 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2019

There certainly is not. I blame philosophy more than Allen. Now, that certainly doesn’t mean Allen has arrived. He needs to be better, but my main issue has really been with the long ball this year. He’s way better at everything else.

He also threw for 264 yards. Ran for 92. Caught a TD.

What were all these additions doing? Allen and Singletary were a two man show. Unfortunately Watson/Hopkins were better.

I do agree that Offensive Philosophy needs to be better. We ran too many times in 2nd and 10 and got too cute with the passing on 1st down. But I think Allen ultimately needs to be better if this franchise is going to be a Super Bowl contender. 260 yards is great, but it also took him 43 attempts to do it

Coming from the guy who compared Jabari Parker to Melo? That was you, right?

LOL.

No idea but they've both played in the same amount of Finals games right?

He has been consistent in his opinion that a defense that finished in the top 3 in most metrics is THE problem. Not really much of a point to try to use common sense in your argument.

Also, don't lie - it's sad and pathetic,
I've never said that the defense was THE problem. I've maintained that it has been A problem at times throughout the season.

If they do their job? They just held down an elite offense for most of the game and gave the offense a chance to win with 20 points. Go call the whiner line or something. I can't really understand anyone that thinks the defense is the problem on the team when they finished 2 of 32 in scoring defense and then gives up less than league average to a high end offense on the road.
Houston isn’t exactly an elite offense without Fuller. Check the splits.

We’re more annoyed that the coaching staff relied on the defense, and the defense let us down. The offense was coached to play it safe multiple times when we could’ve gone for the jugular. That’s because of their trust in the defense.

If we should be cheering the defense holding a team, minus their second best weapon, to 5 regulation points below their average, then I think the bar is set pretty low for a team with a ton of resources devoted to that side of the ball.

If they do their job? They just held down an elite offense for most of the game and gave the offense a chance to win with 20 points. Go call the whiner line or something. I can't really understand anyone that thinks the defense is the problem on the team when they finished 2 of 32 in scoring defense and then gives up less than league average to a high end offense on the road.

I think guys are frustrated that they'd was dominating and then next thing ya know were down 3. The D certainly has issues (we've outlined most of them), but all in all the offense has been the issue most of the year save for a few games ie Cle and NE etc. As I noted, you can't kick 3 fgs out of 4 drives in the playoffs, we needed one more TD and just couldn't get it. Doesn't excuse the D late and the AWFUL 3rd and 18 call but again score some dame tds

We’re more annoyed that the coaching staff relied on the defense, and the defense let us down. The offense was coached to play it safe multiple times when we could’ve gone for the jugular. That’s because of their trust in the defense.

If we should be cheering the defense holding a team, minus their second best weapon, to 5 regulation points below their average, then I think the bar is set pretty low for a team with a ton of resources devoted to that side of the ball.

Context is lost on some, apparently.

Meanwhile, I'm watching a 14-13 playoff game, at the 2:00 warning. The Titans have held the mighty Patriots offense to 13 points through 58:00.

I think BAL is locked into 8:15 next SAT

And they are getting the Titans!

1578197604897.png

Good points as usual but I think the conservative playcalling and failure to go for the jugular as you noted was a huge mistake by the staff. We all love this D and there a top 5 unit but there bot the 85 Bears, even without Fullet it was unlikely there holding the Texans to single digits. Now some of that is Houston is still a pretty good team i mean this is the playoffs and some of that is Frazier's hatred of blitzing its third down once a drive. Still the offense hasto score more then 1 td, we can't white knuckle every game. This wasnt thr NE game where the D was a disaster, we needed more out of the offense.

Not to take sides in this skirmish but one other area where the defense came up small was allowing both two point conversions.

Yup that was deflating to say the least. Stop one of those it's a completely different game.

Good points as usual but I think the conservative playcalling and failure to go for the jugular as you noted was a huge mistake by the staff. We all love this D and there a top 5 unit but there bot the 85 Bears, even without Fullet it was unlikely there holding the Texans to single digits. Now some of that is Houston is still a pretty good team i mean this is the playoffs and some of that is Frazier's hatred of blitzing its third down once a drive. Still the offense hasto score more then 1 td, we can't white knuckle every game. This wasnt thr NE game where the D was a disaster, we needed more out of the offense.
I completely agree with you. My disagreement with Chugg is over the cause of this..

I tend to think Allen is trending towards franchise QB.

I also think McDermott is a heck of a coach, BUT he has to learn that you can’t play games this way. Not against the upper echelon teams at least.

Do I blame Allen for only scoring 19 and losing today? Hell to the no. The dude was a beast in the first half, then we went safe mode for a quarter, and asked Josh to go 5 wide and win it. He made some insane Mahomes-like throws and also made some regression hero ball plays.

Our OL straight up fell apart in the 4th quarter. No one was getting open against a team starting Gareon friggin Conley. A dude coming off a torn pec started terrorizing.

All could’ve been avoided, not by “Allen being better”, but by our coaching staff not spending an entire quarters worth of football under the belief our defense would justify their trust.

I didn’t like how often Buffalo went empty backfield in the second half/OT.

Made it easier for the Texans to spy Allen and zone pass coverage with no zone read threat.

I didn’t like how often Buffalo went empty backfield in the second half/OT.

Made it easier for the Texans to spy Allen and zone pass coverage with no zone read threat.
Nevermind our OL played like they were all simultaneously concussed.

Late in the game, they literally rushed 3 and had 2 free rushers... how does that happen?

Our OL wasn’t bad the whole game. In fact they were pretty solid, until, not coincidentally, we were like “Oh ****, we’re losing” and decided to go ultra aggressive after coasting through a quarter.

I’m in a much better mood after watching the Pats lose.

My H0T Takes
- stars win game... the Bills have one in Singletary, Texans have three in Hopkins, Watson and Watt. All of the Texans stars came up big in the come back
- this team has had the same problem all year, they can’t convert red zone oops to tds. Even one of those 3 first half fgs is a TD and the game never gets close
- Daboll is great between the 30s and terrible at the other 40 yards
- someone needs to tell the Bills that running on 2nd and 10 is not a great move
- the offense doesn’t have enough 10-15 yard passes... it’s all dink and dunk or deep. It’s really hard to score TDs if a team has to grind out 10 play drives each time. We need some easy yards
- love the play action passes... where have they been all year?
- where has Williams been all year? He adds an extra dimension
- the ford experiment a tackle HAS to end... he was getting savaged
- I’m on board with keeping Daboll assuming he’s willing to learn from this year. But I would prefer they grab someone who can implement a Green Bay like deep pass game
- Allen has a lot of work to do but this team doesn’t win 10 stinking games without him. Outside of Burrow there isn’t a qb in this draft i would take over him. But he isn’t Watson... Watson is more athletic and a better passer

I’m looking forward to seeing how the Beane uses this off-season.

My H0T Takes
- stars win game... the Bills have one in Singletary, Texans have three in Hopkins, Watson and Watt. All of the Texans stars came up big in the come back
- this team has had the same problem all year, they can’t convert red zone oops to tds. Even one of those 3 first half fgs is a TD and the game never gets close
- someone needs to tell the Bills that running on 2nd and 10 is not a great move
- the offense doesn’t have enough 10-15 yard passes... it’s all dink and dunk or deep. It’s really hard to score TDs if a team has to grind out 10 play drives each time. We need some easy yards
- I’m on board with keeping Daboll assuming he’s willing to learn from this year. But I would prefer they grab someone who can implement a Green Bay like deep pass game
- Allen has a lot of work to do but this team doesn’t win 10 stinking games without him. Outside of Burrow there isn’t a qb in this draft i would take over him. But he isn’t Watson... Watson is more athletic and a better passer

Good post can't argue with any of those points. The intermediate passing game needs major work as you noted and Duke being inactive all those weeks is looking like a huge blunder

My H0T Takes

Agree with a lot of this.

I’m fine with Daboll. A lot of the hate comes without understanding execution is needed for a play to work. He wins the game with the QB sweep if any of our 3 lineman block the 1 linebacker.

I want this entire offseason to focus on Offense. After watching our “elite” defense get savaged by a flailing NE in their last gasp and then give up a 16 point lead to a Fuller-less Texans, I don’t want to hear about defense for a while.

Phillips and Lawson, come correct with your contract demands or Adios.

I have no idea what to do with the OL. They’re solid, not great. Ford could be a good guard (and is probably better suited there), but showed enough to assume he makes a jump in Year 2 at RT. Due to Ford’s uncertainly, what do we do with Spain? Also, continuity is huge on the OL.

For certain - Upgrade the WR room and get Singletary a legit partner in the backfield.

Nevermind our OL played like they were all simultaneously concussed.

Late in the game, they literally rushed 3 and had 2 free rushers... how does that happen?

Our OL wasn’t bad the whole game. In fact they were pretty solid, until, not coincidentally, we were like “Oh ****, we’re losing” and decided to go ultra aggressive after coasting through a quarter.

I think it happens when a young QB is forced to throw into zone coverage with 7-8 guys flooding passing lanes.

Empty backfield = no threat of zone read, no RB screen or in the flat.

Defense loves it and only has to decide if they want to blitz the young QB or sit in coverage. Or show one and do the other.

Tough ask of any young QB, especially with the quality DL Houston has.

Agree with a lot of this.

I’m fine with Daboll. A lot of the hate comes without understanding execution is needed for a play to work. He wins the game with the QB sweep if any of our 3 lineman block the 1 linebacker.

I want this entire offseason to focus on Offense. After watching our “elite” defense get savaged by a flailing NE in their last gasp and then give up a 16 point lead to a Fuller-less Texans, I don’t want to hear about defense for a while.

Phillips and Lawson, come correct with your contract demands or Adios.

I have no idea what to do with the OL. They’re solid, not great. Ford could be a good guard (and is probably better suited there), but showed enough to assume he makes a jump in Year 2 at RT. Due to Ford’s uncertainly, what do we do with Spain? Also, continuity is huge on the OL.

For certain - Upgrade the WR room and get Singletary a legit partner in the backfield.

Great post, especially the part about the defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom