Buffalo Bills 2019 | Page 161 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2019

Best play of the game was when they just let Watt rush Allen without any blocker to impede him. That was great play design.

Agree with a lot of this.

I’m fine with Daboll. A lot of the hate comes without understanding execution is needed for a play to work. He wins the game with the QB sweep if any of our 3 lineman block the 1 linebacker.

I want this entire offseason to focus on Offense. After watching our “elite” defense get savaged by a flailing NE in their last gasp and then give up a 16 point lead to a Fuller-less Texans, I don’t want to hear about defense for a while.

Phillips and Lawson, come correct with your contract demands or Adios.

I have no idea what to do with the OL. They’re solid, not great. Ford could be a good guard (and is probably better suited there), but showed enough to assume he makes a jump in Year 2 at RT. Due to Ford’s uncertainly, what do we do with Spain? Also, continuity is huge on the OL.

For certain - Upgrade the WR room and get Singletary a legit partner in the backfield.
I’m going to have to disagree on Ford... I don’t think he has shown enough. He and Spain have been pretty poor all year. I think you move Ford to lg, look for a tackle to and guard. I’m also not sold in Morse... I don’t think he gets enough push on run plays up the middle

You make a great point about the Daboll... I was saying the same to my bills buddies. Plays were there all year, but at some point it’s on the players to execute. My main gripes all season have been the consistent runs with Gore in heavy packages where they are telegraphing the run... it’s essentially running him into a brick wall. And the other gripe is the limited use of slants and screens or really any thing to slow down the rush and 0 coverage. I also think going empty backfield all ot was stupid when Singletary was so hot.

McD, Daboll and Frazier all need to take long looks into the mirror and get some feel for the game. I think they are too obvious in their play calls and there is a tendency to want to white knuckle games because of the belief the D can lock other teams down. That works against poor offenses but falls apart against even average offenses. We got lucky the Titans played Mariota against us because he made them very one dimensional whereas Tannehill is a much better qb.

I think he’s mistaken about it being a TD, but yeah, the NFL clearly screwed up on that. We still should have won the game even with it, but we shouldn’t have had to deal with that either.

At the end of the day, I’m overall happy with the way we played. The key for me was seeing how our young building blocks performed in their first playoff action.

Singletary was a star. Edmunds was great. Allen was pretty good but obviously had a few plays you’d like to have back (underrated one was in OT I believe where he had Beasley wide open for an easy catch and run to put us in field goal range and rushed the throw and ended up one-hopping it to him). Oliver made some plays, though being at the game, it was difficult to follow him all the time.

Next year is likely going to be pretty difficult; we’ll undoubtedly be a popular regression pick. But I’m pretty proud of the way our building blocks played. Just gotta hope we make some good improvements this year both development wise and transaction wise.

I think he’s mistaken about it being a TD, but yeah, the NFL clearly screwed up on that. We still should have won the game even with it, but we shouldn’t have had to deal with that either.

At the end of the day, I’m overall happy with the way we played. The key for me was seeing how our young building blocks performed in their first playoff action.

Singletary was a star. Edmunds was great. Allen was pretty good but obviously had a few plays you’d like to have back (underrated one was in OT I believe where he had Beasley wide open for an easy catch and run to put us in field goal range and rushed the throw and ended up one-hopping it to him). Oliver made some plays, though being at the game, it was difficult to follow him all the time.

Next year is likely going to be pretty difficult; we’ll undoubtedly be a popular regression pick. But I’m pretty proud of the way our building blocks played. Just gotta hope we make some good improvements this year both development wise and transaction wise.
Allen was A+ in the first half, and then boom/bust in the second half. Spastic, bizarre but then also made some huge plays, including two absurd passes across his body to extend drives.

Tough to gauge that game for Allen. Coaches turtled up and then when they had to get aggressive again... bad sack, lateral and jump ball to DiMarco, almost in succession, followed by a team loss, is going to unfortunately define his performance.

As far as being a regression pick.. I doubt it. We’re going to make some heavy upgrades to the offense, and, finally, we enter the season with, what should be, a wide open division.

I did feel like we were over this nonsense with McDermott though. The embarrassing, gut wrenching loss where we pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

That’s going to stick with me for a while. We’re not the “same old Bills”, I know this... but until shown otherwise, it’s going to creep into my psyche. That loss was just... wow.

Allen was A+ in the first half, and then boom/bust in the second half. Spastic, bizarre but then also made some huge plays, including two absurd passes across his body to extend drives.

Tough to gauge that game for Allen. Coaches turtled up and then when they had to get aggressive again... bad sack, lateral and jump ball to DiMarco, almost in succession, followed by a team loss, is going to unfortunately define his performance.

As far as being a regression pick.. I doubt it. We’re going to make some heavy upgrades to the offense, and, finally, we enter the season with, what should be, a wide open division.

I did feel like we were over this nonsense with McDermott though. The embarrassing, gut wrenching loss where we pull defeat from the jaws of victory.

That’s going to stick with me for a while. We’re not the “same old Bills”, I know this... but until shown otherwise, it’s going to creep into my psyche. That loss was just... wow.

I hope this is true, but there really aren’t many obvious options out there for immediate huge upgrades. Basically gonna have to hope they get a WR in the draft that is a stud from day 1 and that’s generally pretty tough to count on (though this years class is no doubt very good). Still wish we had opted for a few of the WRs from this past class though. Metcalf and or Deebo seemed like obvious choices at the time and they both were major difference makers this year for their teams.

After a night of sleep, a Pats loss, and an hour run this morning I have calmed enough to offer some thoughts on the game.
There is that old saying “when someone shows you who they are, believe them.” What we saw last night was each party’s worst traits unfortunately rearing their ugly head, in combination, at the worst possible moment. But unfortunately none of it should be a complete surprise. Consider:

- Our offense has shown a trend of creativity early on followed by a tendency to become extremely conservative- especially in the red zone. Daboll also has used some, ahem, interesting personnel groupings at times. Dimarco on a go route, Gore from heavy packages, etc- Daboll’s worst tendencies really bit us last night.

- Josh Allen has played hero ball against better teams. Some of his plays last night were, to put it charitably, mind boggling- and fumbling has been a problem all year. I still think he is going to be good, but there are patterns that if not corrected next year will be red flags.

-Defense played good but gave up big plays down the stretch. Frazier has a pattern of sitting back in soft zones. That third and 18 play was atrocious, even if it never should have taken place because the officials apparently cannot call delay of game (more on that later). Even the first TD drive...it just felt like the defense was passive.

-McDermott is a great coach and builder of culture. But he coached scared last night with a lead. This is always my fear with defensive oriented head coaches, they prefer to roll the dice with their defense and be conservative on offense instead of taking offensive risks BECAUSE you have a good defense. Unfortunately Mc D has shown a penchant for poor clock management and playing conservative. It hurt us last night.

- Not specific to the Bills and not the reason they lost- but NFL officiating is a complete and total joke, it has been so all year and will continue to be so. That crew shouldn’t sniff the field again this year.

Bottom line is 10-6 is a successful season and the future is bright. We have a ton of cap space, a young QB with loads of potential and a great front office. I trust that Beane will continue to address the roster (WR, DB, RB etc) but just as importantly that the expectation will be set with our coaching staff to self reflect on what happened yesterday to make structural changes to prevent it from happening again. Ultimately you are what your record says but also no one on this board would argue that Buffalo is a juggernaut. There is significant room to improve, especially on offense- and I think we will need to in order to match this years record against next years schedule. Unrelated- Vegas anyone??

I enjoyed celebrating and commiserating with you boys this season. Maybe I will finally make my way to a Fine Mess tailgate next year so we can tip a few back. Until then, I look forward to mock drafts combined with unrealistic optimism that accompanies every Bills offseason.

Not going to quote the whole post but just a very small point: the “go” route for DiMarco wasn’t really a part of the play. It was there in the event of a broken coverage but the play was designed to get the ball out quickly and either nobody got open or Allen didn’t see them and then he panicked and threw what should have been an interception.

Biggest takeaway from me, and I don’t think we’ll do it, but I want two 6’+ talented WRs this offseason.

I don’t care if we draft them consecutively in the 1st and 2nd Round.

I don’t care how nice of a season John Brown had.

If we want to optimize Josh Allen. Get him big targets.

Tell me how, in a playoff game, our rookie RB is the leading WR.

Tell me how, in a playoff game, Duke Williams, randomly activated for his first meaningful game in months, looked like our biggest WR threat?

Im done with the smurf stuff. You can’t just go out and get a Hopkins, but when it mattered, he got seperation and presented a big target all over the field for Watson.

I know we’ll get one big WR, and hopefully that’s enough, but looking at the receiving stats just made me want to vomit.

Not going to quote the whole post but just a very small point: the “go” route for DiMarco wasn’t really a part of the play. It was there in the event of a broken coverage but the play was designed to get the ball out quickly and either nobody got open or Allen didn’t see them and then he panicked and threw what should have been an interception.

as bizarre as the play was, if Dimarco times his jump properly, he makes the catch.

We are 100% the regression candidate for next year. Defensive team, easy schedule, not many injuries, shakey qb. Checks every box.

Spain just said he told his agent that if Buffalo wants him back, he’d like to get something done before FA.

Also, Lawson said he would like to come back to the Bills.

McDermott has his faults to work on, but one thing is for sure, culture/team building isn’t one of them.

*sidenote - Search “Josh Allen” on Twitter. The top replies are actually hilarious. Not as much bashing as I expected... more along the lines of “I feel like I just snorted 10 lines of coke watching Josh Allen play QB and now I’m exhausted”.

Spain just said he told his agent that if Buffalo wants him back, he’d like to get something done before FA.

Also, Lawson said he would like to come back to the Bills.

McDermott has his faults to work on, but one thing is for sure, culture/team building isn’t one of them.

*sidenote - Search “Josh Allen” on Twitter. The top replies are actually hilarious. Not as much bashing as I expected... more along the lines of “I feel like I just snorted 10 lines of coke watching Josh Allen play QB and now I’m exhausted”.

Seems like he’s getting the Jameis treatment: “Man that dude is entertaining as hell to watch and I’m glad he isn’t my team’s QB”

Sure but you have to know your personnel. There was never a chance he was going to make the catch and it was thrown into double coverage.
Another point to make on that.. as McDermott called out Allen for “trying to do too much”..

Watch the field view on some of those plays. Nobody is open. The Texans have a suspect secondary. I know Brown and Beasley had nice seasons, but in a playoff game, they weren’t much of a factor.

I’d have to read an All-22 take one why that was, but from the shots they showed, guys just weren’t getting separation quick enough. Then when the OL started leaking, we got mayhem.

We are 100% the regression candidate for next year. Defensive team, easy schedule, not many injuries, shakey qb. Checks every box.

I wouldn’t say THE candidate. Teams like Seattle will undoubtedly be an obvious choice too considering they won 12 or 13 games while nearly having a negative point differential. Our schedule was obviously weak but we basically won the number of games you’d expect given our point differential. Seattle’s point differential suggests they should have been like an 8 win team.

Hard to say I'm disappointed overall with the season when I didn't even have us in the playoffs. But the way we let it get away yesterday will stick with me for awhile.

Schedule looks a bit tougher next year but to be expected with a better record. Be interesting to see what we do with the cap space and draft. Great career Frank Gore but there's a reason there aren't many 36 year old running backs in the league. I thought Cody Ford would show a bit better this season. He still could be really good. It takes most OL awhile I guess unless they are clear cut like a Joe Thomas or Orlando Pace, and Cody isn't.

Would like to get a clear cut #1 WR in the draft. I like John Brown but he's more of a 1.5 or 1.75 if that make sense.

Seems like he’s getting the Jameis treatment: “Man that dude is entertaining as hell to watch and I’m glad he isn’t my team’s QB”
Which is fair enough. We know what he was, how he’s grown, and what his potential is. I don’t expect others who don’t follow Buffalo to do that. I’d probably feel the same way - He looks like an uber-athletic Mahomes for a few plays and then goes complete crackhead mode out of nowhere. Year 3 is going to be a BIG year for this class of QBs, Allen included.

I’m kind of annoyed at myself at how bothered I am by this loss.

Didnt even watch the Pats game. Won’t watch any of the games today.

I’m not even responding to my Tinder messages.

Friggin wreck over here.
I was broken last night and angry but today I am just sad. It was a fun season and I hate to see it end. Especially that way. I keep replaying these plays in my head and it’s sickening.

We had it.

I was broken last night and angry but today I am just sad. It was a fun season and I hate to see it end. Especially that way. I keep replaying these plays in my head and it’s sickening.

We had it.
Said it before, but that QB sweep is like watching a car crash in slow motion. I can’t get over that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom