Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 148 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

There was a great Peanuts one time I'll never forget.

Charlie Brown has Peppermint Patty's team beat and then Peppermint Patty hits a dinger in the bottom of the ninth.

Next panel shows Charlie laying on the pitcher's mound under the moonlight going AAARRRRGGGHHH!

Last panel Linus comes up and tells Charlie "I've been delegated by the neighborhood to let you know your moans of anguish are keeping everyone awake."

I know how Charlie feels.

Agreed. It’s wild that our defense is the reason Josh Allen is not the face of the NFL. He deserves that recognition, but our defense - of which he has no control over - is the reason why we get another year of this being Mahomes NFL with Josh Allen relegated to the main challenger.

Today should’ve been about the SB favorite Bills with Josh Allen playing the best playoff football through 2 games that we have ever witnessed.

He deserves so much better.

Pass Rush below average is the major issue.

Understood.

Josh had some bad games this year too. I think the problem now as any defense in the NFL is trying to defend teams like the Chiefs/ Bills/ Bengals and then having to try and come back and defend the run focused more physical teams like Titans and Colts with the same personnel.

There are very few lockdown defenses anymore. I guess I don't understand how a DC whose defense is rated amongst the top of the league consistently over the past 4-5 years should be on the hot seat. While I do agree the bills have struggled at times versus the better offenses in the NFL but most do.

I get it… but most haven’t invested in their defense like we have.

Josh Allen had a dumpster fire OL and no running game for most of the year.

Creed Humphrey was there, we took Boogie Basham.

The OL finally got healthy and Bates inserted solidified them as a good OL down the stretch, but for most of the year, our OL/lack of running game was the reason this game was played in Arrowhead and not Orchard Park.

Frazier has been given absurd investment over these years. With Allen’s contract kicking in, he no longer can have a 9/10 man rotation on the DL and paid guys at every position.

Frazier is a decent coach, but he’s been given a lot, and it may be best to get new energy in the building. Daboll is likely gone.. I could go either way on Frazier.

I like Edmunds but he's clearly not the answer here, we need to move on as soon as possible.
His contract for next year was guaranteed when they picked up his 5th year option at $12m. Going rate on big-time LBs is approaching $20m. I would hope that they wouldn't go anywhere near that on him. He's one of the toughest players for me to figure out. The league in general seems to think extremely highly of him but fanbase loathes him. I'm not sure if it's just that our expectations are out of whack, or we aren't fully aware of his assignments and are blaming him for things from our couches that he's not actually responsible for. His overall PFF grade is bad but he's ranked real high against the run and real solid as a pass rusher but then absolute dog crap in coverage. Almost impossible to find someone that is actually good at all 3 and if you do, they cost $20m.

The OL finally got healthy and Bates inserted solidified them as a good OL down the stretch, but for most of the year, our OL/lack of running game was the reason this game was played in Arrowhead and not Orchard Park.

Frazier has been given absurd investment over these years. With Allen’s contract kicking in, he no longer can have a 9/10 man rotation on the DL and paid guys at every position.

Frazier is a decent coach, but he’s been given a lot, and it may be best to get new energy in the building. Daboll is likely gone.. I could go either way on Frazier.

And again, I just don't think your replace top 5 coordinators. I think it's bad business but if McDermott wants to go that route than so be it. If Frazier needs to do more with less then lets see him try and do exactly that.. I doubt the draft picks or FA moves have his fingerprints on them. I see Frazier as old school company man which I respect. Spending $ or draft capital doesn't always equate to on field success. Daboll gets a little crazy sometimes too and I hear people calling for his replacement at times too which is just dumb. I have a tough time seeing anyone but Ken Dorsey replacing him anyway when he most likely moves on.

I don't think you fire good quality staff chasing rainbows. Zero guarantees out there. Again they have been beaten the last 2 years by the most prolific offense in the NFL.

Last edited:
His contract for next year was guaranteed when they picked up his 5th year option at $12m. Going rate on big-time LBs is approaching $20m. I would hope that they wouldn't go anywhere near that on him. He's one of the toughest players for me to figure out. The league in general seems to think extremely highly of him but fanbase loathes him. I'm not sure if it's just that our expectations are out of whack, or we aren't fully aware of his assignments and are blaming him for things from our couches that he's not actually responsible for. His overall PFF grade is bad but he's ranked real high against the run and real solid as a pass rusher but then absolute dog crap in coverage. Almost impossible to find someone that is actually good at all 3 and if you do, they cost $20m.

I think he's a good/decent LB but I think in our scheme he just doesn't fit. IF we blitzed him more I guess it might work but he gets exposed when we rush four and play coverage all game like yesterday.

I think he's a good/decent LB but I think in our scheme he just doesn't fit. IF we blitzed him more I guess it might work but he gets exposed when we rush four and play coverage all game like yesterday.
He's a tough call for me. Has good speed but not instinctive and can't really remember him with the physicality or mean streak to lay somebody out.

I think you're going a little too extreme on it. Of our 12 biggest cap hits, 6 were on O, 6 were on D. Have 3 OL making a ton, 3 WRs getting paid. Sure Humphrey seems like a miss but would he be that good at Guard or would Morse? That C spot was plugged with a big contract and solid starter so if one of them has to play guard and they are natural centers then he's probably not going to be drafted in the 2nd rd.

Basham was a bit of a luxury but it was with their eye on the future so they don't have to overpay anyone this year at DE as they should have 3 building blocks at the position making no money. could supplement that with an elite guy if they have the opportunity. Having 3 cheap, ascending guys at that position is huge. Allows them to go after an elite big money guy if needed without being too far out of whack on positional spending.

Picking 1st of the 4 division rd losers so that's a slight bonus. Picking 25th this year.

Mitch, Levi, McKenzie, Harry, Bates. Fine with Jerry for 1 more year as well if it's reasonable since finding an elite edge guy in FA isn't going to really be a thing given who is expected to be available.

Mitch, Levi, McKenzie, Harry, Bates. Fine with Jerry for 1 more year as well if it's reasonable since finding an elite edge guy in FA isn't going to really be a thing given who is expected to be available.
DRAFT: I'd go defense (DE or CB) with the first-rounder and then augment the offense with the second and third rounders (one OL/Center, one RB or large wideout). From there, BPA.

I think it is time for Beasley to go. Too much commotion surrounding him and his output is shrinking. McKenzie is cheaper and faster. Sanders, too, it is over. He came and went (good guy).
Boettger is done for me. Below average. Waste of space and cap #.

Bring back Bates, who won't be terribly expensive. If he is your 5th or 6th best O-Lineman, you're doing well. Anyone who was calling for Edmonds to be gone is silly. He was a strong player this year. Not great, but he's still young, believe it or not. He will get a bit better.

Also have to think about who the backup QB is. Trubisky is gonna be gone, I'd have to think. He was a nice insurance policy, thankfully one we did not need to cash in on.

Last thoughts ... we need a more viable running back threat than Singletary and Moss. Breida did not seize his opportunity and was never trusted. ... Diggs now has Gabe Davis to lean on, but they need another dose of speed. I think viable wideouts are relatively easy to find these days.

I believe in Brandon Beane. That said, he needs to hit on his picks and FAs this year. They cannot miss, a la Cody Ford or Breida, etc. Have to do this while Allen is young and in his prime. To get it right when the QB is 29 or 30 and wear and tear is showing will be disastrous.

Wonder if a Cornelius Bennett-type deal is in the works? The timing might be just right to strike in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
Unfortunately with Mahomes and our D, I had zero faith in us not allowing them to get into FG range, literally zero. You either have to squib that or hit it deep but before the goal line and force a fair catch from the 5 which even with 13 seconds we probably don't screw it up. That last sequence is why after a few seconds of celebrating the last Bills TD I checked the clock and told my wife game will be tied and were headed to OT. Most predictable Bills thing ever.
All this talk about the kickoff probably doesn't matter. Kick it near the end zone: they let it bounce and it probably goes into the end zone for a touchback. Squib it, they probably fall on it around the 25 give or take and no time comes off the clock because they gave themselves up immediately. A squib kick is probably more likely to give KC better field position with the same amount of time than we ultimately gave them. The high arcing kick probably would have been the right call; more likely to get the returner to panic and catch it and there's always a chance that if they don't catch it, it doesn't bounce into the end zone. But in all likelihood, 25 yard line with 13 seconds left was pretty much as good as we could realistically manage.

The defense was an atrocity. Just tackle everyone off the snap and you probably win the game on an incomplete hail mary. Mainly focus on protecting the middle of the field to force a more time consuming pass to the outside. Or just play cover 2 man defense (and probably force Hill to get open on a crosser where he at least needs to turn up field instead of just catching it while already going up field). Pretty much anything but what we attempted to do and we win that game.

It sucks, and for all the understandable frustration with Frazier after that, if he leaves, McD will just hire another Frazier. At the end of the day, we're running the defense that McD wants us to run. All Frazier leaving will do for us is likely give us the same defense but more poorly coached.

Thankfully we have time between now and free agency to kinda calm down and more logically think about how to chart our path this offseason, but for me at least, some of the things that I think need to be considered in the very least would be:
  • Trading Edmunds (be it for cap relief/picks or for a more high impact player)
  • Cutting Beasley/letting Sanders walk for cap relief
  • Cutting Morse/Darryl Williams for cap relief
  • Diggs extension (both because, duh, and also cap relief)
  • Poyer re-structure for cap relief
As far as our in-house free agents go, the ones that I think will be interesting are Wallace, Harrison Phillips, Hughes, and McKenzie. If you asked me a few weeks ago, Phillips and McKenzie would be definite walk-aways for me, but they came on strong down the stretch and I think have made the decision more complicated for us. Wallace and Hughes continue to be solid players but at some point you have to let some guys go as we start to pay Allen a ton of money.

If we let Beasley and Sanders walk this offseason, WR quickly becomes a high-priority spot to address IMO. I'd like to at least gauge the price for Cedrick Wilson and Michael Gallup from Dallas; Wilson has been covered up by their WR corps but he's a good young player that could thrive with more playing time. Gallup has been relatively disappointing/injured the past couple years after kinda bursting onto the scene his sophomore year. Braxton Berrios or Adam Humphries could make sense to fill Beasley's role as well.

Outside of WR, pass rushing help will once again be a high priority and we could use depth pretty much across the board.

Edmunds, I think, has a dead cap hit regardless of cut/trade so we’re basically stuck with him unless they want a pick back and eat the dead cap.
His $12.7 mil follows him wherever he goes. A trade would clear the full $12.7. Cutting him would free up nothing.

Blake Martinez is the 5th highest paid off-ball LB in the league at $14 mil from what I can tell. Edmunds will be the 8th highest next season. I'm not really convinced he's a top 20 LB. I would definitely prefer to move off his deal if I can but I think Beane will probably sign him long-term for something like 4 years $70 million.

There were so many things wrong that on that last series any armchair QB could have called. The non squib kick. Thirty yards off the ball on the first play. Rushing four. God knows what Levi Wallace was doing on the second play. It was literal defensive malpractice. As LIC said, take a hatchet to the defense this off-season, zero stops when it counted All year long.

We just lost with Allen having the most transcendent performance ever by a Bills QB….gonna be bitter about this one for awhile.
I’m confused on why everyone wanted a squib kick.
Let’s say they squib it and a Chief falls on the ball at the 35 yard line and one second comes off clock,what have you gained?Chiefs still would of had 12 seconds on clock and 10 more yards.

I’m confused on why everyone wanted a squib kick.
Let’s say they squib it and a Chief falls on the ball at the 35 yard line and one second comes off clock,what have you gained?Chiefs still would of had 12 seconds on clock and 10 more yards.
Or it could've been picked up at the 20 and someone drops down and a second or 2 runs off. Or they return it to the 35 and 5 seconds runs off. I'd rather the clock be moving for any amount of time without Mahomes, Hill or Kelce with the ball in their hands.

Or it could've been picked up at the 20 and someone drops down and a second or 2 runs off. Or they return it to the 35 and 5 seconds runs off. I'd rather the clock be moving for any amount of time without Mahomes, Hill or Kelce with the ball in their hands.
There's no chance at all that someone actually returns the squib; the Chiefs are way too well-coached for that. Just a question of whether or not any time comes off the clock and where it's fielded. But in all likelihood, it would have been fielded around the 25 or better (for KC) with 0 or 1 seconds off the clock.

To me your chances are better they guarantee a start at the 25 yard line and not take the chance of a squib taking crazy bounce out of bounds or them getting ball farther up field with only one second coming off clock.Problem was the defense not just holding receivers on last couple plays and running time off clock and giving up the 5 yard holding penalty.

There's no chance at all that someone actually returns the squib; the Chiefs are way too well-coached for that. Just a question of whether or not any time comes off the clock and where it's fielded. But in all likelihood, it would have been fielded around the 25 or better (for KC) with 0 or 1 seconds off the clock.
I still fail to see any downside whatsoever. It's not like he's going to nub it and it's kneeled down at the 40. Drill that thing on the ground inside the 30 and possibly inside the 20 and if they just want to fall on it there then so be it.

I still fail to see any downside whatsoever. It's not like he's going to nub it and it's kneeled down at the 40. Drill that thing on the ground inside the 30 and possibly inside the 20 and if they just want to fall on it there then so be it.
There isn't really an upside to it either. Probably more likely for it to be scooped up at the 30+ than the 20 or less. If you want to argue he should have pooched it to like the 10 yard line, I think that's much more justifiable. If you pooch it, they either call fair catch and have awful starting position, return it and cost themselves time, or let it bounce and hope it goes into the end zone for a touchback (which it probably would).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom