Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread | Page 147 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2021 Thread

Old enough now that after sleeping on it and then processing through it some more this morning that I'm able to take away some positives and the main one is that there is absolutely 0 doubt now that we have one of THOSE dudes. We will be in contention every year for the next 7-8 years because he is capable of winning playoff games on the road without much help needed. Had the stones to make 2 late 4Q drives to take the lead on the road in extreme pressure playoff games.

If you have that dude, you have a chance every game, every season.

That's my silver lining as well, Buffalo finally has a QB and he's 25 and still getting better. Cap concerns and other issues are valid but when you have the QB you've always got a shot.

Last edited:
Old enough now that after sleeping on it and then processing through it some more this morning that I'm able to take away some positives and the main one is that there is absolutely 0 doubt now that we have one of THOSE dudes. We will be in contention every year for the next 7-8 years because he is capable of winning playoff games on the road without much help needed. Had the stones to make 2 late 4Q drives to take the lead on the road in extreme pressure playoff games.

If you have that dude, you have a chance every game, every season.

Agreed. It’s wild that our defense is the reason Josh Allen is not the face of the NFL. He deserves that recognition, but our defense - of which he has no control over - is the reason why we get another year of this being Mahomes NFL with Josh Allen relegated to the main challenger.

Today should’ve been about the SB favorite Bills with Josh Allen playing the best playoff football through 2 games that we have ever witnessed.

He deserves so much better.

That's my silver lining as well, Buffalo finally has a QB and he's 25 and still getting better. Caps concerns and other issues are valid but when you have the QB you've always got a shot.
Cap issues shouldn't be too bad. The DL is about to get a lot cheaper for a few years. Imagine Beasley/Sanders are likely gone and that clears a good chunk of money at WR. RB rotation costs next to nothing. Knox is cheap for another year but then may get pricey but worth it if he plays like he did this season. If Bates/Brown can be quality starters like they appear to be while making peanuts, we should be able to make things work. Should be able to keep the majority of the roster in place and able to withstand Allen's deal without much issue with the big cap jumps coming.

Main thing is we're going to need to keep backfilling with picks. Need to have replacements on hand for guys like Daryl Williams or Morse making $9m with 2nd or 3rd picks making 15% of that. That's a lot of savings to pay difference makers.

Agreed. It’s wild that our defense is the reason Josh Allen is not the face of the NFL. He deserves that recognition, but our defense - of which he has no control over - is the reason why we get another year of this being Mahomes NFL with Josh Allen relegated to the main challenger.

Today should’ve been about the SB favorite Bills with Josh Allen playing the best playoff football through 2 games that we have ever witnessed.

He deserves so much better.
Think the world saw the last 2 weeks that he has ascended to that tier with Mahomes and possibly surpassed him as THE GUY. At least that's how I'm perceiving things from the national writers. Kind of just blows that all of the young possible superstars are in the AFC, Mahomes, Herbert and Burrow. Going to be a gauntlet every year for a while. Kelly, Marino, Elway type crap even though the AFC always crapped the bed in the Super Bowl.

Cap issues shouldn't be too bad. The DL is about to get a lot cheaper for a few years. Imagine Beasley/Sanders are likely gone and that clears a good chunk of money at WR. RB rotation costs next to nothing. Knox is cheap for another year but then may get pricey but worth it if he plays like he did this season. If Bates/Brown can be quality starters like they appear to be while making peanuts, we should be able to make things work. Should be able to keep the majority of the roster in place and able to withstand Allen's deal without much issue with the big cap jumps coming.

Main thing is we're going to need to keep backfilling with picks. Need to have replacements on hand for guys like Daryl Williams or Morse making $9m with 2nd or 3rd picks making 15% of that. That's a lot of savings to pay difference makers.

Bates is a FA, I believe. I’d be ok giving him a multi-year deal though.

Hopefully Morse comes back next year. He’s still playing well.

I’d probably keep Williams, and try to keep this 5 together next year, but IOL needs to be addressed early in the draft either way. Josh Allen with time is unstoppable.

Everyone else. Bye.

Levi, Butler, Hughes, Addison, Beasley and Sanders. Probably also parting ways with Star and McKenzie.

Harry, I’d bring back if the money is right.

Draft WR, IOL, CB in the first three rounds. My only caveat would be if Jordan Davis is there… I wouldn’t hate putting him next to Oliver.

what are your expectations? The 85 bears defense with the Peyton/Harrison/James offense?

you have a team that is top 5, maybe better, on both sides of the ball, rock solid on specials in a sport that with salary cap makes it incredibly hard to do. You have one of the two best at the most important position in sports locked up.

the team has gone from the worst front office and management in the sport to one of the best.

It's a brutal way to lose but the team is well built and the defense struggles versus the better offenses in the league at times. Who knew? Last time I checked Mahomes, Kelce and Hill were pretty good. I get the last 13 seconds and 10,000 ways to close that out but Ill stick with what we have. Doubt Daboll is back though.

Maybe they should bring back REX!!!

Bates is a FA, I believe. I’d be ok giving him a multi-year deal though.

Hopefully Morse comes back next year. He’s still playing well.

I’d probably keep Williams, and try to keep this 5 together next year, but IOL needs to be addressed early in the draft either way. Josh Allen with time is unstoppable.

Everyone else. Bye.

Levi, Butler, Hughes, Addison, Beasley and Sanders. Probably also parting ways with Star and McKenzie.

Harry, I’d bring back if the money is right.

Draft WR, IOL, CB in the first three rounds. My only caveat would be if Jordan Davis is there… I wouldn’t hate putting him next to Oliver.
You guys don’t need to waste premium draft capital on WRs.
Diggs, Davis, McKenzie are a solid foundation. FA you can find a cheap 4th.

You guys need to invest on defense, defense and OL depth.

Weapons are a luxury not a need.

Regardless of one's fandom, what other games have been more soul crushing?

The only one that comes to mind is the mindblowing non PI interference call that sent the Rams to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints. That was really more infuriating than soul crushing. As a fan, the only one that compares is the 1987 NCAA championship.

The only one that comes to mind is the mindblowing non PI interference call that sent the Rams to the Super Bowl instead of the Saints. That was really more infuriating than soul crushing. As a fan, the only one that compares is the 1987 NCAA championship.

Saints have had that and Diggs TD catch when he was with Minny. That was freaking brutal as well. That was up there too.

It's a brutal way to lose but the team is well built and the defense struggles versus the better offenses in the league at times. Who knew? Last time I checked Mahomes, Kelce and Hill were pretty good. I get the last 13 seconds and 10,000 ways to close that out but Ill stick with what we have. Doubt Daboll is back though.

Maybe the should bring back REX!!!
Seems a lot of Bills fans think that shutting down top 3 offenses shouldn't be that hard for our defense. It goes both ways. KC and NE both had playoff level defenses and our offense annihilated them. There is almost nothing that defenses can do these days to stop an elite offense. Unless you have an absolute stacked DL that can collapse the pocket with 4 guys, there's not much you can do but try and limit what you can, no shot whatsoever of shutting a team like KC down. It's about holding them to 3 instead of 7 as many times as possible.

Even if we don’t do anything, and cut all the guys I mentioned, this defense has the following:

DT: Ed Oliver / Harrison Phillips

EDGE: Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa

LB: Milano, Edmunds, Klein

Nickel: Taron Johnson

CB: Tre White, Dane Jackson

S: Poyer, Hyde

ENOUGH… Fill in the rotation and only make a move if for a proven guy in trade (Mack) or if someone like Jordan Davis is there when we pick.

What’s a slightly worse defense going to do?… give up 42 points and a FG in 13 seconds?

Unless it’s an OL wrecker, I’m done with this defense. They can figure it out. Certainly enough talent there to fill in with mid-late round picks and day 3/4 FA’s.

Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Stevenson and whatever Hodgins is would be malpractice.

Don't think I've had one. Was too young in '87. I was rolling around on the floor screaming and my wife had tears coming down when we scored that last TD.

Seems a lot of Bills fans think that shutting down top 3 offenses shouldn't be that hard for our defense. It goes both ways. KC and NE both had playoff level defenses and our offense annihilated them. There is almost nothing that defenses can do these days to stop an elite offense. Unless you have an absolute stacked DL that can collapse the pocket with 4 guys, there's not much you can do but try and limit what you can, no shot whatsoever of shutting a team like KC down. It's about holding them to 3 instead of 7 as many times as possible.

Agree 100%. That's how I see it too. I get the uproar over the last 13 seconds. Meltdown for sure but everyone here has seen stuff like this 1,000 times in sports. any guarantee that a squib kick solves the problem? Not 100% sold there either. It happens but I am certainly not going to start asking for staff changes. I think that is insane! I just do. No guarantees in playoffs whatsoever. Like to see more home playoff games if at all possible. Great QB and consistency is the best path for success.

Even if we don’t do anything, and cut all the guys I mentioned, this defense has the following:

DT: Ed Oliver / Harrison Phillips

EDGE: Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa

LB: Milano, Edmunds, Klein

Nickel: Taron Johnson

CB: Tre White, Dane Jackson

S: Poyer, Hyde

ENOUGH… Fill in the rotation and only make a move if for a proven guy in trade (Mack) or if someone like Jordan Davis is there when we pick.

What’s a slightly worse defense going to do?… give up 42 points and a FG in 13 seconds?

Unless it’s an OL wrecker, I’m done with this defense. They can figure it out. Certainly enough talent there to fill in with mid-late round picks and day 3/4 FA’s.

Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Stevenson and whatever Hodgins is would be malpractice.
I'm with you. Other than Mack(He's not elite anymore). I'm 100% BPA the 1st 3 rounds. There are no glaring needs and also no position outside of QB/S where things are completely set for 2023. Even S will likely be a need after 2023 I imagine.

Agree 100%. That's how I see it too. I get the uproar over the past 13 seconds. Meltdown for sure but everyone here has seen stuff like this 1,000 times in sports. any guarantee that a squib kick solves the problem? Not 100% sold there either. It happens but I am certainly not going to start asking for staff changes. I think that is insane! I just do.
Fans react too strongly, too quickly without perspective. One of my best friends was saying Gabe Davis sucks and should be benched at some point in the 1st half last night. Rest of us then crushed him non-stop for 3 straight hours after that.

Agree 100%. That's how I see it too. I get the uproar over the past 13 seconds. Meltdown for sure but everyone here has seen stuff like this 1,000 times in sports. It happens but I am certainly not going to start asking for staff changes. I think that is insane! I just do.

I think the conversation should be had about Frazier but I wouldn’t demand he be fired.

We were 0-6 in close games this year. That’s not all on the defense, but that’s part of it.

They got dumptrucked by the Titans, Colts and Chiefs. Bucs was an uneven game and then they gave up the big play in OT.

Those are really the only teams we played worth a crap on Offense.

He has way too much investment on this defense to have that performance COMBINED with the 13 second meltdown.

Again, if he’s not fired, and he likely won’t be.. fine, but his seat has to be warm.

Mckenzie is a UFA though I think Beasley has 1 more year left. WR isn't a huge need but we need another veteran like Sanders or a slot guy in the draft if Mckenzie walks and Beasley is let go.

What numbskull thought up that overtime plan?
Both teams should have had 1 opportunity to score from predetermined yard line. Leaving this game up to a coin toss was a travesty! This was one of the best games I’ve ever seen!

Mckenzie is a UFA though I think Beasley has 1 more year left. WR isn't a huge need but we need another veteran like Sanders or a slot guy in the draft if Mckenzie walks and Beasley is let go.

Love Beasley, but I think he’s a case of better to move off a year early than a year late.

McKenzie, meh. I don’t know.

Diggs and Davis are a good 1/2, but we could really use a burner who isn’t 5 feet tall out there with them.

I'm with you. Other than Mack(He's not elite anymore). I'm 100% BPA the 1st 3 rounds. There are no glaring needs and also no position outside of QB/S where things are completely set for 2023. Even S will likely be a need after 2023 I imagine.

I don't mind BPA but I think another CB has to be one of those three picks and if you can get a MLB grab him and get whatever you can for Edmunds in a trade. Lot of spots that don't necessarily need an upgrade but like RB and TE could use additional help.

Love Beasley, but I think he’s a case of better to move off a year early than a year late.

McKenzie, meh. I don’t know.

Diggs and Davis are a good 1/2, but we could really use a burner who isn’t 5 feet tall out there with them.

I'm not against moving on from Beasley but if McKenzie walks to that's a big risk as Stevenson looked overwhelmed in limited time. Agreed that a speed guy would really make sense but don't know who that would be at this point, I assume a draft guy but who and when is the question.

I don't mind BPA but I think another CB has to be one of those three picks and if you can get a MLB grab him and get whatever you can for Edmunds in a trade. Lot of spots that don't necessarily need an upgrade but like RB and TE could use additional help.

Edmunds, I think, has a dead cap hit regardless of cut/trade so we’re basically stuck with him unless they want a pick back and eat the dead cap.

I think the conversation should be had about Frazier but I wouldn’t demand he be fired.

We were 0-6 in close games this year. That’s not all on the defense, but that’s part of it.

They got dumptrucked by the Titans, Colts and Chiefs. Bucs was an uneven game and then they gave up the big play in OT.

Those are really the only teams we played worth a crap on Offense.

He has way too much investment on this defense to have that performance COMBINED with the 13 second meltdown.

Again, if he’s not fired, and he likely won’t be.. fine, but his seat has to be warm.
Understood.

Josh had some bad games this year too. I think the problem now as any defense in the NFL is trying to defend teams like the Chiefs/ Bills/ Bengals and then having to try and come back and defend the run focused more physical teams like Titans and Colts with the same personnel.

There are very few lockdown defenses anymore. I guess I don't understand how a DC whose defense is rated amongst the top of the league consistently over the past 4-5 years should be on the hot seat. While I do agree the bills have struggled at times versus the better offenses in the NFL but most do.

Edmunds, I think, has a dead cap hit regardless of cut/trade so we’re basically stuck with him unless they want a pick back and eat the dead cap.

I like Edmunds but he's clearly not the answer here, we need to move on as soon as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom