Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Of all the absurd things last night, that may have been the most absurd. And then after the game, McDermott said they practiced that exact situation multiple times this week!
yep for how bad the whole game was that was the worst. complete meltdown by all involved. They all know the one guy who was out there that should not have been. What an idiot.

He's crossed over from constantly trying to get better every year, playing with a chip on his shoulder and trying to prove himself to just showing up and expecting to be great and or get better. He's just been horrible this year. Just me but I feel like there is more to the story, something off the field etc but maybe not. The huge contract ruins plenty of people and the bills look like a team that expects to just make the playoffs every year but aren't good enough.

Josh has grown complacent pretty clear to see. He says the right things but his actions don't really back it up. He really could be a fraud at this point unless he gets back to work in the off season and gets after it again.
What’s weird is he seemed to have outgrown this to a large degree in 2020. Last couple years he’s regressed which is weird for a guy his age

What’s weird is he seemed to have outgrown this to a large degree in 2020. Last couple years he’s regressed which is weird for a guy his age
He was fantastic in 2020 and seems like each year regressed a bit since. I sometimes wonder if the no crowd stuff helped him stay a lot calmer than usual and more focused. I mean he was great the last 6-7 games of 2021 as well but he's just fallen off a cliff this year and quite honestly looks miserable most of the time. Starting to weigh on him as well. With his contract and the $ they will pay Vaughn, Trey and Knox next year that's going to take it's toll.

A true franchise Qb making huge $ is just suppose to be better and ton more consistent.

He to me is by far the biggest disappointment of 2023, coaches and or players

Last edited:
Well, that was not a nightmare. It really happened. I can't watch the Jets game.

Of all the absurd things last night, that may have been the most absurd. And then after the game, McDermott said they practiced that exact situation multiple times this week!
Only explanation, not an excuse, is Cam Lewis getting hurt that drive screwed up the rotation?

Only explanation, not an excuse, is Cam Lewis getting hurt that drive screwed up the rotation?
yeah one to replace him on D, one to replace him on the field goal unit. He enters the game for the FG attempt and the other guy stays on as well. Hamlin? and the ST assistant forgot how to count

Maybe, but they had plenty of time to prepare for it after the Broncos took the knee on first down (and the Bills used two timeouts). What in god's name did they do during their last timeout??? How were they not 100% prepared there? They are going to take another knee on third down and get their kicker out there so we'll get our designated kick block team out there. This isn't rocket science and yet our guys looked completely lost between the third down kneel and the FG. Inexcusable.

Maybe, but they had plenty of time to prepare for it after the Broncos took the knee on first down (and the Bills used two timeouts). What in god's name did they do during their last timeout??? How were they not 100% prepared there? They are going to take another knee on third down and get their kicker out there so we'll get our designated kick block team out there. This isn't rocket science and yet our guys looked completely lost between the third down kneel and the FG. Inexcusable.
it's coaching malpractice anyway you look at it. They were given a gift once again and blew it

I'm still trying to figure out why they went away from the running game in this one. The one drive they had was almost all Cook and Lat Murray and then they just went back to throwing the ball all over the place. I get the risk of turnovers, but it's not like Allen was taking care of the ball either. Whatevs. The Yankees suck, SU football sucks, SU basketball remains to be seen and the Bills suck. Time for ice fishing I guess.

I'm still trying to figure out why they went away from the running game in this one. The one drive they had was almost all Cook and Lat Murray and then they just went back to throwing the ball all over the place. I get the risk of turnovers, but it's not like Allen was taking care of the ball either. Whatevs. The Yankees suck, SU football sucks, SU basketball remains to be seen and the Bills suck. Time for ice fishing I guess.
again coaching malpractice

Cook had not fumbled since his first carry ever (I think) and the first play yesterday was sort of unlucky. Strange time to basically bench him for the rest of the quarter.

5-5 instead of 8-2.

Had to beat a Zach Wilson led offense with your fully healthy defense opening week. Had to not allow Mac Jones who has been benched like 5x this year to drive down the field and drop 29 points (their team has scored 20 points what, twice?). Denver at home, critical game, desperately need to get it together... and come out with 4 turnovers, another first half with < 10 pts (!!), poor kick coverage, and despite all that Denver is so weak you still had the game won until committing one of the most irrational penalties you'll ever see. That's 8-2 with NYJ and NE still coming to Buffalo. That should have been 10 wins, with opportunity to steal 1 or 2 of the remaining hard games.

A complete failure by this team. No other way to put it.

Last edited:
Cook had not fumbled since his first carry ever (I think) and the first play yesterday was sort of unlucky. Strange time to basically bench him for the rest of the quarter.

Another absurd thing. Him being benched for those three drives or whatever for his SECOND CAREER FUMBLE was an absolute joke. And no surprise, we did absolutely nothing on offense the entire time he was off of the field. Another of many signs that the coaching staff doesn't have a clue.

McDermott is not in a million years going to be replaced this year or next year. Just isn't going to happen. If he misses the playoffs next year then he will be coaching for his job in 2025. You simply can't ignore the overall success and I get it there have been some really bad losses. They will have a new OC and DC next year I would imagine. I think either the ST coach or Dorsey gets canned today or at some point soon. I think McDermott has been fine as the DC but obviously the house around him has crumbled this season. This team is just not very good this year and I don't think it's anything they can fix quickly barring some miraculous turn around on offense. I guess they could let Joe Brady calls the plays at some point.

McDermott's ceiling is limited but he has made the playoffs 5 out of 7 years if they miss it this year and in Buffalo that's pretty damn good or anywhere really. People can say he is wasting Josh's prime years but Josh has stunk this year as well. There is no way that after the big contract that Josh is working anywhere near as hard in the off season as he was 2-3 years ago and it shows. It's human nature. You will never have a significant playoff run with Josh playing like he has this year more so than McDermott as the head coach. He just makes too many mistakes

I think everybody shares in the blame at some point, beane as well. They went all in on Miller last year trying to win a super bowl and it backfired. Again they gambled and lost. It happens. I guess maybe I am more down on Josh this year than McDermott, he has simply stunk, IMO.

That said, I would be fine with the ST coach being fired immediately. The 12 on the field is on him and yeah sure McDermott is in charge but still. McDermott has a lot of questions to answer but he's not going anywhere anytime soon, IMO. I also think the Pegulas like the idea of staying the course and won't make any rash decisions when it comes to letting McDermott go

I generally agree but this is the NFL not college, better coaches have been fired for less. I don't think he'll be fired after this year but he definitely wouldn't survive next year not making the playfoffs, zero chance he would be back. I think Dorsey is all but gone and again while I think the chances are remote I wouldn't be shocked if Terry pulled the plug at the end of the year. He seems like a guy whose part of the not Fn around crew and the team has gone backwards three straight seasons after the 2020 AFC East Champ game appearance. The bills cap situation is such that maybe he holds his fire until after the 2024 season (depending on how that goes) as the bills can free up some space by moving on from a bunch of guys but I don't think its nuts if he gets fired especially if Buffalo finishes under .500

I am not a smart Football person...but, if it's the case that opposing teams are pass-rushing aggressively because you havne't run the ball a lot...AND basically spying Josh Allen with a LB...

Wouldn't Screen Passes be an effective weapon in that scenario?

We have (to my recollection/knowledge) run ONE screen pass all year, why the heck is that?

I am not a smart Football person...but, if it's the case that opposing teams are pass-rushing aggressively because you havne't run the ball a lot...AND basically spying Josh Allen with a LB...

Wouldn't Screen Passes be an effective weapon in that scenario?

We have (to my recollection/knowledge) run ONE screen pass all year, why the heck is that?

A screen pass, what's that???

You guys are saying everything I am thinking this morning so I won’t repeat it. Just a disgusting loss. This season is finished- way more difficult to stomach than many of the crazy drought era losses given the talent on the roster.

McDermott needs to fix this or he needs to pack his bags too. Big questions for everyone (Beane, McD, Pegula) this off-season.

It seems like there were about a half dozen bizarre things that happened last night (e.g. Denver's first TD that was both-feet-in by about a millimeter, or that opening kickoff strip fumble, or 12 men on the field) where if just one of them doesn't happen, the Bills win.

I generally agree but this is the NFL not college, better coaches have been fired for less. I don't think he'll be fired after this year but he definitely wouldn't survive next year not making the playfoffs, zero chance he would be back. I think Dorsey is all but gone and again while I think the chances are remote I wouldn't be shocked if Terry pulled the plug at the end of the year. He seems like a guy whose part of the not Fn around crew and the team has gone backwards three straight seasons after the 2020 AFC East Champ game appearance. The bills cap situation is such that maybe he holds his fire until after the 2024 season (depending on how that goes) as the bills can free up some space by moving on from a bunch of guys but I don't think its nuts if he gets fired especially if Buffalo finishes under .500.

you can’t ignore MCDermott’s body of work though. 5 of 7 years in the playoffs. He’s not getting fired this year as he just signed an extension last summer. If they knew Harbaugh or say Ben McDonald from Detroit coukd be hired then that would be interesting but I just can’t see it. I think you can debate end of 2024 season but McDermott has built some goodwill with the ownership and I just can’t see it but I guess you never know. These next 7 games mean a lot too regardless of whether they make the playoffs or not.

Von Miller still calls the Broncos “we.”
Get rid of the overpriced clown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom