Buss in the doghouse today? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buss in the doghouse today?

I think he has been in the dog house all year. Have you heard JB's responses during the presser's?

I've been gone for awhile from this site, but now that the season is picking up I'm back.

But as I said last season, Buss needs to develop more point guard abilities if he wants to play for Syracuse. He appears to be a generous 6'3 shooting guard that can't shoot as well as Trevor Cooney and BJ Johnson. Don't get me wrong, I like his energy and style of play, but let's face it, he's not stealing minutes from Cooney or Johnson anytime soon. He does however have a chance to get some run at the PG spot in a backup role if he were given more of a chance.

On a somewhat related note, BJ Johnson could be our best three point threat, as the announcers claim Boeheim said. It's a little early to be saying that, but nonetheless, it could be the case. Either way, I like having BJ and Cooney on the court at the same time since we all know what happened last year when teams focused in on Cooney and took away our perimeter game (seeing CJ trying to expand his range and force three-balls was a pain to watch). If Cooney and BJ play together, that could open up some more minutes for Buss. But at the same time, BJ needs to improve his defensive IQ. There was one point where BJ was extended further than the two guards in the zone. I remember around the 11 or 12 minute mark, there was a play that summed up BJ on defense for me. He fell for a pump fake, got out of position, Christmas had to bail him out and he forced a bad shot, and BJ was there to get an athletic rebound. I honestly see a lot of CJ in BJ, but the defensive IQ is nowhere near the same level. If it doesn't than Roberson has shown he can play solid defense and could cut into BJ's minutes, which would therefore cut into Buss' minutes.

Cooney is deeply entrenched in the lineup. If he does right or wrong, he will be there. Most you'll probably see is an exit for a quick teaching moment, then back in the lineup if Cooney screws up. He plays the most minutes per game on avg this season in my opinion. He is valuable far beyond the 3 ball, but yes I would like to see him hit a few more from out there. He will, it's only the 2nd game.

We have too much guard depth to justify giving Cooney 36 minutes. That was disappointing.
We don't have as much guard depth when Silent G is playing most of his time at the 3.

He only took 2 shots lol, hard to say it wasnt on...,just didnt play enough. Cooney getting 36 mins and Patterson maybe 3-5 is puzzling imo.
One is significantly better than the other. No mystery.

unless DC2 makes it back, what you saw today is the typical Boeheim 7 that he'll lean on in every tough game. We've seen it for decades, I don't know why everyone is so surprised when it happens

No, Cooney needed to play 36mins vs. Hampton...
Please Boeheim, play at least 8 players this year! For sake!

Cooney was not 36 minutes great today. The ill-advised drive and dump that got McCullough flagged for his 4th foul was really the topper. He's not only not contributing on offense but he's handicapping other players too. Who knows why Boeheim played him for 36. Maybe he's the guy that needs to work on his conditioning? His confidence has been shaken. No doubt about it. I'm glad he's trying to diversify. One can only assume that Boeheim is giving him more time to get better. But he's certainly not playing all these minutes because he is unquestionably better than Patterson in every way.

Cooney is going to get the vast majority of minutes at shooting guard. this is his 4th year in the program. He plays good defense and he is still more of a threat than Patterson or at least Boeheim has more confidence in him. Patterson will get many opportunities this season, not a big deal.

What was wrong with Triche? Malachi will probably start next year or at least get solid minutes.

Triche was a decent to good college player that had 2 NBA lottery picks riding pine behind him. I don't buy for a minute that MCW and Dion "weren't ready". MCW specifically was better than Triche his freshman year, but didn't get to play because of JB's love affair with Triche. Cooney will see 35+ minutes until he graduates; anyone who thinks Malachi is going to start over Cooney has not been watching Syracuse basketball for more than a season.

Anybody know when the last time a returning starter was replaced as a starter by another player? People like Fab Melo don't count.

I can't remember the last time JB did that. Not saying he never did it, I just can't remember.

statsgrad said:
Triche was a decent to good college player that had 2 NBA lottery picks riding pine behind him. I don't buy for a minute that MCW and Dion "weren't ready". MCW specifically was better than Triche his freshman year, but didn't get to play because of JB's love affair with Triche. Cooney will see 35+ minutes until he graduates; anyone who thinks Malachi is going to start over Cooney has not been watching Syracuse basketball for more than a season.

MCW was not ready and Waiters never deserved to start.

Who said Malachi would start over Cooney?

CuseHulk said:
Hypothetically, Malachi at SF ?

That's my thought. He or BJ. I can see Roberson moving to the 4.

Definitely saw him rubbing and flexing the shoulder. It was right as they were going to a time out. He had been involved in a play, and I do remember he twisted funny or something. Obviously others noticed this too. I also immediately said something in the chat room asking if Buss just got hurt. What I don't remember is if he was in after that, or just in for a few minutes. If anyone was at the game was he in his warm ups for the 2nd half? I don't think he did anything major, just something that was annoying his shoulder. But in no way am I sure this is the reason at all. Just an observation.

I don't see how Brandon Triche deserves any criticism for his career at Syracuse. Yes he was inconsistent at times in the regular season, but he was a huge part of the end of season run in 2013, and he always seemed to play well when he had to. That whole season when he played well, we won, when he didn't, we lost. It was that simple. We were successful in the tournament his Senior year and he was a huge part of that. Also, I remember MCW coming in as a freshman and showing glimpses of his potential, but their were often times he was out of control.

Cooney was not 36 minutes great today. The ill-advised drive and dump that got McCullough flagged for his 4th foul was really the topper. He's not only not contributing on offense but he's handicapping other players too. Who knows why Boeheim played him for 36. Maybe he's the guy that needs to work on his conditioning? His confidence has been shaken. No doubt about it. I'm glad he's trying to diversify. One can only assume that Boeheim is giving him more time to get better. But he's certainly not playing all these minutes because he is unquestionably better than Patterson in every way.

This is going to drive a lot of people crazy, but i don't see how Cooney doesn't lead the team in minutes this year. He plays guard so he won't get in foul trouble like ROC will, and JB trusts him so much that he won't take him off the court. If he got 36 minutes against Hampton, hes going to get 36 against Duke.

This is going to drive a lot of people crazy, but i don't see how Cooney doesn't lead the team in minutes this year. He plays guard so he won't get in foul trouble like ROC will, and JB trusts him so much that he won't take him off the court. If he got 36 minutes against Hampton, hes going to get 36 against Duke.

It will certainly drive people crazy.

Few college basketball players should play 36 minutes a game, especially if they offer such limited production (6 points in non-garbage time). Not surprising, perhaps, but disappointing.

If we learned one thing from last season, it's that Cooney will be less effective when he's running around for nearly a full game. He and the team would be better served by giving him some rest and allowing the other talented guard (who, incidentally, is an excellent defender and better at running our offense) to play.

It will certainly drive people crazy.

Few college basketball players should play 36 minutes a game, especially if they offer such limited production (6 points in non-garbage time). Not surprising, perhaps, but disappointing.

If we learned one thing from last season, it's that Cooney will be less effective when he's running around for nearly a full game. He and the team would be better served by giving him some rest and allowing the other talented guard (who, incidentally, is an excellent defender and better at running our offense) to play.

I agree Trevor didn't shoot well yesterday, but he may of hit the biggest shot of the game, and did other things well on the court. Besides Kaleb, it looks to me he has the second best handle out of anyone else on the team. Jordoo pointed out on another thread his behind the back dribble during the break and a couple of drives he had into the middle of the zone yesterday were something he never even tried last year. He handled the ball better than Gbinije, and I know Buss only played four minutes, but can you realistically say he did anything in that time where he deserved to be on the court yesterday, besides to just give the other guys a break.

like +100.

this is so spot on, its scary...

39 against Duke probably...

I agree Trevor didn't shoot well yesterday, but he may of hit the biggest shot of the game, and did other things well on the court. Besides Kaleb, it looks to me he has the second best handle out of anyone else on the team. Jordoo pointed out on another thread his behind the back dribble during the break and a couple of drives he had into the middle of the zone yesterday were something he never even tried last year. He handled the ball better than Gbinije, and I know Buss only played four minutes, but can you realistically say he did anything in that time where he deserved to be on the court yesterday, besides to just give the other guys a break.

We don't judge players on 4 minutes, unless they made some horrible mistakes in that time. Everyone on the team would look like he doesn't deserve to be on the court if given a quick 4-minute shift. We know what Patterson can do: defend up top better than anyone on the team, run our offense as the primary ball-handler, shoot (in a streaky way), and score at the rim.

As for Cooney, I'm very pleased that he's trying to drive. It's a great way to open up our offense and get the opposing defense moving. I didn't see anything unusual to take away from yesterday's performance, though. He had a nice baseline drive in the second half, much like he did last season. He elevated well but couldn't finish. Toward the end of the game Hampton stopped defending aggressively and Cooney was able to get to the basket from a different angle; with an open look this time, he made the layup. That's all nice but nothing new.

Cooney's a valuable part of this team and a legitimate starter. If he's playing 36 minutes and Patterson only 4, Cooney's going to be considerably less effective and our offense will be worse.

Anybody know when the last time a returning starter was replaced as a starter by another player? People like Fab Melo don't count.

I can't remember the last time JB did that. Not saying he never did it, I just can't remember.
Autry replaced Edwards. Pearl replaced Waldron. There may be others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom