Class of 2020 - C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24) | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Eddie Lampkin (TX) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/2/24)

We aren't short money with Fran. He has enough to compete. Without the money, Fran wouldn't be getting the kids he is getting. And the future kids he is landing, he doesn't have to pony up any of that money now.
My point wasn't that..

FWIW, I am reluctant to trash players, but if you commit, then decommit after the portal closes, and then completely screw the team without ever playing a game, sorry you are getting trashed.
That’s why this situation is different than just a few weeks ago. All of the Syracuse players that considered the portal probably feel pretty blindsided at the moment because maybe there decision does change now.

And bring in who? We had a guy that was here for 44 years. I don't see him going out and getting the coffers filled.
Yeah, JB needs to do more to fundraise for NIL. I get that he’s employed in the AD as a fundraiser for the university but maybe that needs to change. Fundraising for basketball NIL needs to be the priority.

Last edited:
I understand the thought process, but if you tell a guy he is going to be the focal point of your whole team, you should be ready to pay more if someone else comes knocking. Hopefully Plan C is a good one.
Exactly, like that point doesn’t make the situation any better, if anything it makes it worse. You won’t even pony up the cash needed to keep someone you’re building around? What kind of idiot doesn’t take Leffews 400k and pay the kid then.

the bachelorette crying GIF

The really terrible part here and why you should feel for red and the entire team. Red made all of his decisions based off Lampkin being a focal point for next year. From how they run the offense to some sets and style of play and he learned a lot from this year. This completely goes out the window and to have this kid walk away after all those decisions were made based on Him, that’s lousy I’m sorry. This new age world sucks
Lampkin needs to take a hard look in the mirror and think about the ethics of his behavior and doing a 180 on his commitment at this late date and leaving the SU coaching staff holding the bag when there’s no time to pivot. He’s gonna make plenty of money either way, plus years of playing professionally. And the college and coach that’s poaching him (TCU?) should be ashamed of themselves for doing this.

We will need to see some wins first, but it is definitely looking better than basketball. How did we get here?
I think if there were full transparency people would be surprised at the numbers. At least some people. I can pretty confidently say we are in the Top 20% of Power 6 basketball schools in terms of NIL resources available. And we are much further away from the very top tier in football than we are in basketball.

That doesn’t mean we won’t get outbid for a player, also doesn’t mean that given roughly similar offers a player may decide to go elsewhere for other reasons.

One thing you have to wonder about is how important a school takes the relative amount a player is offered and how it affects team chemistry. These numbers get out and we saw what nearly happened in Miami when Isaiah Wong got wind of how much it cost to poach Nijel Pack from K State.

To be clear, none of this has anything to do with Lampkin.

I really don't. Plus, it might not be right. But I have been reassured that it is.
Would you be willing to say we’re a top 20 school in terms of nil??

I really don't. Plus, it might not be right. But I have been reassured that it is.
well if Syracuse isn't the yankees and they aren't the Oakland a's where would they fit in the pecking order?

Lampkin needs to take a hard look in the mirror and think about the ethics of his behavior and doing a 180 on his commitment at this late date and leaving the SU coaching staff holding the bag when there’s no time to pivot. He’s gonna make plenty of money either way, plus years of playing professionally. And the college and coach that’s poaching him (TCU?) should be ashamed of themselves for doing this.
None of that is going to happen. Welcome to the new normal.

Yikes. Just heard the rumor, but I gather this is legit based on comments here. This is really bush league of Lampkin. The portal era is BS. There’s zero accountability for the players. Something needs to change, they shouldn’t be able to move this freely.

I mean I’m all for greater player empowerment VS what the old model was, but when a player can commit to transferring to a school then late in the process change their mind they put the team in a losing position that’s terribly unfair. It can’t be all about the players, to the point where teams can get screwed with no repercussions.

Yikes. Just heard the rumor, but I gather this is legit based on comments here. This is really bush league of Lampkin. The portal era is BS. There’s zero accountability for the players. Something needs to change, they shouldn’t be able to move this freely.

I mean I’m all for greater player empowerment VS what the old model was, but when a player can commit to transferring to a school then late in the process change their mind they put the team in a losing position that’s terribly unfair. It can’t be all about the players, to the point where teams can get screwed with no repercussions.
Fan cope

Where does it end? The system is so broken that a kid could just drive his NIL price up by consistently shopping around for a bigger bag and there's literally no way to stop it.
You’re not wrong but this is where we are. We have to be able to pay what there players are worth just like any other employee or they go elsewhere

Yeah, JB needs to do more to fundraise for NIL. I get that he’s employed in the AD as a fundraiser for the university but maybe that needs to change. Fundraising for basketball NIL needs to be the priority.

If your waiting for that your gonna be waiting a long time. JBs getting rewarded for his years as a hc with a title and pay but he's not exactly out there pounding the pavement

You’re not wrong but this is where we are. We have to be able to pay what there players are worth just like any other employee or they go elsewhere

If you can make a 1.5 or 2 mill more a year available then by all means. This ain't the Fed, SU can't just print money