Class of 2020 - C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Frank Anselem (GA) COMMITTED/SIGNED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a medical redshirt. He had a stress fracture in his shin or foot if I remember correctly. Like I said unless we’re talking injury there’s zero chance

We’ve had like 1 guy EVER who took a RS as a non-Frosh that wasn’t injury related.
Matt Gorman.

OrangeRay can chime in if he knows of any others.

So, to save everybody the “what about this guy?” -
Whomever it is, they were a medical RS.

Or a traditional transfer.
or a Prop 48 (Duncan).

People seem to underestimate how skilled Edwards is. He may be the best big man on this roster including Frank. He may not be flashy, but he understands the game and may become the best pro on this current team. He’s fundamentally sound. He does all the little things you want in a big man. Down the road he’s going to have a very good face up game. He has great hands and appears very coachable. He’s the last guy I want to think about transferring.

I thought Edwards showed a great deal of potential. He was only a freshman so you have to control your expectations. But he can definitely play. But at that Center position, he has to bulk up or he’s never going to get much playing time.

It was a medical redshirt. He had a stress fracture in his shin or foot if I remember correctly. Like I said unless we’re talking injury there’s zero chance
So right time, different circumstance. Could not remember the details, and was too tired to look. Thanks.

If we want to win we can't think of players in 4 year terms anymore, basically we will have 2 year and 4 year players, of course some will be one and done or 3 years players, but ideally 2 years and 4 years works best for the program. For example Anselem reclassified so being 2 years is the same as staying in High School another year and being a one and done. The only question is where does a player thinks they are going to develop faster.

Players are going to be headed to the G-league in record numbers straight from High School and early from college. This is because the games are diverging from each other more and more each year, because developing a player for the NBA and winning now in College Basketball are no longer the same thing.

The G league will be a real alternative for a couple of years, but you have to realize the rosters are not going to turn over every year or two. Their will be NBA veterans playing in it along with developmental kids that will not be ready for the NBA for a few years. There will be slots, but not like you seem to think. Right now there is maybe 20-25 kids that will get drafted or go to the G. You are suggesting that there are loads of two year players that will go to the G. I don't think that is the case.

Edwards isn’t coming back to redshirt as a sophomore. There’s not a single kid in college who would agree to this unless they were injured or they have a Jalen Carey type situation. I appreciate what you’re bringing to the table but this is just an uneducated take and I can almost guarantee the coaches would never do this to him. They’re all class and aren’t going to hold this kid hostage for the year when they have 3 centers.

I wouldn't go so hard in on "not single kid." I can think of a guy at Iowa who recently redshirted as a sophomore after playing every game as a freshman. Granted it's rare, but I'm sure there are other examples.

I think he likes to dunk the ball
He sure does. I like how they chose to spice things up in the video by showing him at the free throw line at the 15 sec mark. However, they didn't actually show him shoot the ball! That's funny stuff.

<by the way, I'm not taking a dig at Frank, for those who are a bit ultra sensitive>

Last edited:
It's really more of an unofficial guideline, as opposed to a bylaw. :)

So, you're going to listen to someone who's been on the site for 2 days, instead of a mod. OK.

{Writes note in little black book, underlines stridently. Begins review of user orangfog.}

This really should have been two posts... So I could give both halves a like

The G league will be a real alternative for a couple of years, but you have to realize the rosters are not going to turn over every year or two. Their will be NBA veterans playing in it along with developmental kids that will not be ready for the NBA for a few years. There will be slots, but not like you seem to think. Right now there is maybe 20-25 kids that will get drafted or go to the G. You are suggesting that there are loads of two year players that will go to the G. I don't think that is the case.
We disagree unless a college baseball type rule is pass, the G-league will have a "Vet"" or two, but it's a development league and guys who can't go the NBA in a couple of years will go to Europe or Asia to play. The turnover will be high there won't be the lifers like minor league baseball.

That is largely because basketball is young man's game and easiest way to extent a players career is to go pro earlier.

Look at our team we use to only have guy leave early if they were a first round pick, now guys are leaving early knowing they probably won't get drafted.

People seem to underestimate how skilled Edwards is. He may be the best big man on this roster including Frank. He may not be flashy, but he understands the game and may become the best pro on this current team. He’s fundamentally sound. He does all the little things you want in a big man. Down the road he’s going to have a very good face up game. He has great hands and appears very coachable. He’s the last guy I want to think about transferring.

He has a very European approach to the game. I agree that he has some offensive moves the others do not have. I just hope everybody gets to play more this year. We need depth.

I agree. These HS kids don't realize there are grown men playing in the G League who want to get back to The Show. Coaches aren't going to play physically unready kids just to help them grow up. Everybody in that league is looking to get to a higher level. Just look at Bazely. I don't think he tore it up in G League. I think he was a bench player.

I agree. These HS kids don't realize there are grown men playing in the G League who want to get back to The Show. Coaches aren't going to play physically unready kids just to help them grow up. Everybody in that league is looking to get to a higher level. Just look at Bazely. I don't think he tore it up in G League. I think he was a bench player.
Bazely didn't play in the G-league he simply trained for a year (i.e. the select spots that 4-5 kids are going into now), he has also out performed his draft spot so it's hard argue he made a bad choice.

The money is in the second contract...

May have missed something, but when does he sign? Or why isn’t he signed? It’s just a FAX right?

I agree. These HS kids don't realize there are grown men playing in the G League who want to get back to The Show. Coaches aren't going to play physically unready kids just to help them grow up. Everybody in that league is looking to get to a higher level.
I disagree with a lot of this.

First off, I don't think you understand that the NBA wants the G-League to be the top place for American players to develop. They want it to work. They've transitioned the G-League from being an option of last resort to a viable development pathway for NBA players.

The coaches understand that their role is different from most coaches. Wins and losses matter inasmuch as they are evidence of player development. They're not going to roll with a player that is a "grown man" just because he's older and has more years in the weight room.

Lastly, for the player, G-League player development plans aren't influenced by what the team needs and the player's role on the team like they are in college - they're about getting the player ready to contribute as an NBA player generally. This is one reason why even if a guy doesn't get many minutes, he may still have the opportunity to improve more than he does playing a lot in college.

RS or not, the staff doesn't look to add yet another big if they don't believe it's not a position of need. Dolezaj and Sidibe will both graduate after the 2020-21 season thus freeing up two slots in the front court. It's a good problem for the staff, but I wouldn't be surprised or even upset if any of the young bigs feel alienated by the move.

RS or not, the staff doesn't look to add yet another big if they don't believe it's not a position of need. Dolezaj and Sidibe will both graduate after the 2020-21 season thus freeing up two slots in the front court. It's a good problem for the staff, but I wouldn't be surprised or even upset if any of the young bigs feel alienated by the move.

Just let them all play some minutes so you see what they all have. Not just a couple games for 4 minutes. Let them play 5-10 minutes for 10 games or so, and let the useful ones remain in the rotation for 4 or 5 first half minutes in conference season, so if anyone gets injured, their replacement will be up to game speed.

Just let them all play some minutes so you see what they all have. Not just a couple games for 4 minutes. Let them play 5-10 minutes for 10 games or so, and let the useful ones remain in the rotation for 4 or 5 first half minutes in conference season, so if anyone gets injured, their replacement will be up to game speed.
I don't disagree with you, I really don't. But, I think the coaching staff would probably say, that's what practices are for (which I think is soooo overlooked by us fans at times since all we see, at least most of us at least, are games).

If you truly don't know... Sherm was a replacement because we didn't get Boo Harvey, who was coming to Su, but had to go JUCO due to grades, and Hakim was a replacement when we missed on Julius Hodge.

How could that be though?

Bazely didn't play in the G-league he simply trained for a year (i.e. the select spots that 4-5 kids are going into now), he has also out performed his draft spot so it's hard argue he made a bad choice.

The money is in the second contract...
This is off-thread, but not everyone agrees with that take. I mean, putting aside what he did to SU ... the burned LOI, the agent bag and all that, IMO he's so gifted he could have gone a lot higher with a year under JB - working on his shooting form, HOF tutelage, ACC competition, etc. Instead he drifted, didn't really develop "training on his own" for a year and a half and went #23. The difference isn't trivial. It's speculation but a (much more productive) year growing up in the ACC/NCAAs and he might have been a lottery pick - $1.5m more per year at least. Arguable that he has a better upside than Reddish but he has a better handle than Cam Johnson (who took a long time developing at Pitt and UNC and went #11). Overall a dumb move (and a series of bad decisions) IMO. It's all ancient history now ... BOL to him. I hope his outside shot improves at OKC. He has the potential to be really good.

Last edited:
I mean, putting aside what he did to SU ... the burned LOI, the agent bag and all that, IMO he's so gifted he could have gone a lot higher with a year under JB - college training and coaching and ACC competition (instead of "working out on his own"). Instead he went #23. The difference isn't trivial. It's speculation but a year shining in the ACC/NCAAs and he might have been a top 10 pick - the difference is more than $1.5m per year. Not sure he was better than Reddish but he has a higher ceiling than Cam Johnson ... who went #11. Overall a dumb move (and a series of bad decisions) IMO. BOL to him .. I hope his outside shot improves at OKC. He has the talent.
He will never be part of the Orange nation or Boeheims Army, his loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom