Class of 2021 - C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Mac Etienne (CT/Brewster) Offered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happening. Everyone can stop caring now unfortunately. Tough loss but Mac’s camp (not Mac) has other ideas. And there shouldn’t be one comment about “staff not closing” here because this was absolutely not the case. Staff busted their butts to get him but sometimes certain people around a player think they know better

Not sure I understand this logic. The "recruiting" job is to get a player to accept our offer and get them on campus. If staff is focusing their time and energy on the wrong "decision makers" it doesn't matter that we don't like who is influencing the decision, the bottom line is we aren't getting the player. So yes, the staff is not closing. Closing includes getting the player to accept the scholarship and come to campus. It doesn't do us any good to have a list of players that listed us as their "First Choice" but those choices were overridden by parents, coaches or handlers.

Not sure I understand this logic. The "recruiting" job is to get a player to accept our offer and get them on campus. If staff is focusing their time and energy on the wrong "decision makers" it doesn't matter that we don't like who is influencing the decision, the bottom line is we aren't getting the player. So yes, the staff is not closing. Closing includes getting the player to accept the scholarship and come to campus. It doesn't do us any good to have a list of players that listed us as their "First Choice" but those choices were overridden by parents, coaches or handlers.
There is the possibility of Faustian bargains here. There are some people you don't want to do business with, regardless of their influence over coveted recruits.

There is the possibility of Faustian bargains here. There are some people you don't want to do business with, regardless of their influence over coveted recruits.

I understand that. But in the end, it is still just a reason why we didn't "close". I am using the term reason because it sounds less judgmental than excuse.

But It doesn't do us any good to win the hearts and minds of people in the recruiting process that aren't ultimately making the decision.....even if it is the people that USED to make the decision.

What an absolutely DIRTY and UGLY process.

Let’s put it this way... if you’re a kid and you go to the grocery store and you want ice cream but your parents tell you no, is it the stores fault for you not buying the ice cream?

Are you advocating closing at all costs? I don't think we want to go there.

Let’s put it this way... if you’re a kid and you go to the grocery store and you want ice cream but your parents tell you no, is it the stores fault for you not buying the ice cream?

If the majority of parents aren’t buying the ice cream than the store needs to change its marketing to appeal to the people making the buying decision so that they move some of the ice cream. The store is in business to sell things not appeal to people who aren’t buying.

If the majority of parents aren’t buying the ice cream than the store needs to change its marketing to appeal to the people making the buying decision so that they move some of the ice cream. The store is in business to sell things not appeal to people who aren’t buying.
We have been doing pretty good lately at $elling our ice cream. The ice cream you $peak of we want no part of trying to $ell. We don't want to be L$U.

NOBODY gets everybody they recruit. You build relationships. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but it would be foolish to simply walk away from an established relationship before the player even commits (unless, obviously, if there is NO chance). I don't think we stopped recruiting Ty Battle even AFTER he committed elsewhere. But again, it's not always gonna work out in your favor.

As far as closing goes - Woody, Kadary, Dior, Frank, Benny ... This store is selling some ice cream!

Sometimes a parent or handler changes the deal, and wants $$ to give their blessing. If it doesn't happen, they pull the kid out and (hopefully) SU walks. It's like getting a girl out on a date, and then she tells you she has a boyfriend.

Really don’t get why this is so hard re; insiders & their info.
Like everyone here they contribute by telling us what they’ve heard, at the time they’re hearing it. I’ve never seen an insider guarantee a recruit.
I’ve seen many who’ve said “This kid wants to come here”, or “We’re the leader”, but “He’s definitely signing with us- guaranteed”? Never. And if I’m wrong about that, someone feel free to give me examples.
So knowing that nothing is set in stone until a kid signs, why folks approach it in an absolutist fashion is beyond me. Appreciate the info given, be excited about the possibilities, but stop w/ trying to scapegoat every wrong call because you “expected” a guarantee. It’s really not that hard.

Your posts suggest that you don’t see things clearly and that you don’t understand how things work in general. But that’s ok.

What a shame. Maybe it's the French name, but was envisioning a player similar to a Joakim Noah on those Gator NC teams...

Your posts suggest that you don’t see things clearly and that you don’t understand how things work in general. But that’s ok.

You should learn me because you obviously understand how it all "works".

So with Mac's apparent decision in our rear view mirror, I can only assume Benny will be our only recruit in this class. Or am I wrong?

I can attest to this as well. Toxic environment here regarding sources and scoops. Remember johnsyracuse? I was warned before coming here, not by him but others.

While I appreciate where you're coming from, I don't agree at all with your assessment as this being a toxic environment regarding sources and scoops. It's just not.

What happens, and anyone who has been on this board actively for a while knows this, is that it's just a couple of people here and there who press and don't understand when to stop asking questions of people (like yourself) who are willing to provide inside info. The vast majority of folks on this board understand this.

The other thing that occasionally happens (and please be clear that I'm not referring to you) is that some "inside info" comes from people who want and need to be praised and thanked by everyone to the x1000 degree or they get their butts hurt. Remember that guy who dated someone inside the program somehow and got his info through her? That was a train wreck not because of the toxicity of the board but from his own need to be liked. My point is that sometimes it comes from the other side as well.

While I can’t add to what Bulldog said, I do know that Mac wanted to come here big time. I wasn’t aware of the handlers’ influence on Mac. My source indicated that we were his top choice this entire time.
Do you think we are out of this recruitment?

While I appreciate where you're coming from, I don't agree at all with your assessment as this being a toxic environment regarding sources and scoops. It's just not.

What happens, and anyone who has been on this board actively for a while knows this, is that it's just a couple of people here and there who press and don't understand when to stop asking questions of people (like yourself) who are willing to provide inside info. The vast majority of folks on this board understand this.

The other thing that occasionally happens (and please be clear that I'm not referring to you) is that some "inside info" comes from people who want and need to be praised and thanked by everyone to the x1000 degree or they get their butts hurt. Remember that guy who dated someone inside the program somehow and got his info through her? That was a train wreck not because of the toxicity of the board but from his own need to be liked. My point is that sometimes it comes from the other side as well.

I think there is a lot of truth to that.

But it is also important to add that the "guy" you refer to, who claimed to be dating someone who worked in the basketball office -- crossed the line from sharing what could be considered insider info to building on top of that with predictions.

The reason he got shouted down afterwards was that he made a bunch of predictions, then doubled down on those predictions with guarantees, none of which came to pass. And then the small group of nitwit posters unloaded on him.

History has a way of repeating itself.

Not entirely. I’ve always maintained that one of the bigs will transfer after the season. Only way Mac comes here.
Two things on that. First, I can't imagine he will wait until next summer to commit. Second, of the schools he is considering, how many of them have less proven talented bigs than Cuse? No matter how optimistic any of us are about Jesse, JBA or Anselem, none of them are proven or ranked higher than Mac. Why would those guys scare him off?

I think there is a lot of truth to that.

But it is also important to add that the "guy" you refer to, who claimed to be dating someone who worked in the basketball office -- crossed the line from sharing what could be considered insider info to building on top of that with predictions.

The reason he got shouted down afterwards was that he made a bunch of predictions, then doubled down on those predictions with guarantees, none of which came to pass. And then the small group of nitwit posters unloaded on him.

History has a way of repeating itself.

Ahhh...the "guy." I think that might have been the last time that I truly LMAO at the hilarity that this forum sometimes provides. His interaction with Jarhead at one point was epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom