Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will allow us to play JBA on the wing if needed, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Peter RS this year, which would be great for him and for us

If he has to play at all much this year...

I’m fine with it...but I think for the “what’s the downside” crowd. I’d suggest sitting the bench at a terrible a-10 team would suggest there could be some downside...BUT it’s better than nothing. I would agree with that

In his defense, Duq's least-crappy player was the guy keeping him glued to the bench.

Until that guy got injured.

It's not unlike Jesse blocking Frankie's PT - until he got hurt, and then Frank showed out pretty decently, once he finally got minutes.

Bagged another one, let's gooooooooo!
borat-sacha-baron-cohen.gif

Seton Hall could be a bottom dweller for a couple of seasons with a new coach.
halloway knows what hes doing. still like 6 months until the season starts...little early to be crafting their tombstone

I like this, kid and his guardian specifically mentioned the staff played the academics card and they seemed delighted about it and the opportunity to come in and fight for backup minutes in the paint. I see no downside here. We've needed more guys to stick around for continuity and capable depth (granted many who've left in the last decade early were closer to NBA/overseas pro caliber) but this class could set up nicely for the next few years only having to plug and play a few higher caliber guys in between. Excited to see this huge class come in and get settled. Let's see if the staff can reel in a small handful of top 50ish kids the next class or two and we could start cooking again and seriously contend in the ACC.

Will this kid get minutes and contribute right away? Maybe give Jesse a rest?

Carey is listed as a 4, I thought we brought him in as a 5, but maybe not?
Every time he grows an inch, somebody somewhere moves him to center in their mind. He has the weight of a small forward and the height of a center, so... Power forward?

He's tough to figure out because there isn't enough game tape on him. He was running small forward drills in one tape and looked pretty good, but there is also tape of him practicing post up moves.

I could see him starting at forward and moving to center as he gains weight, or I could see him starting at center and moving to forward as his skills develop. Or being one or the other. Or playing out of position because he's the best option we have like Lydon or Dolezaj.

Carey is an enigma to me.

I've been curious who he's referring to in that tweet... GMax seems obvious, but nobody calls him that. Did "new guy"just give somebody a nick name?

Coach Reid makes no sense to me... The interim woman's team coach?

I've been curious who he's referring to in that tweet... GMax seems obvious, but nobody calls him that. Did "new guy"just give somebody a nick name?

Coaches G-Max, Reid and Gryffindor.

Tough to tweet when your phone is 7'9 away from your eyes.

I still cannot believe what is tolerated by this fan base.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who is getting looks from exactly ZERO high major programs. And exactly ZERO high-mid major programs.

Syracuse University is recruiting a kid who averaged 1.9 points and 2.8 rebounds per game for a team that was 6-24 last year and nearly went winless in the Atlantic 10 -- a league that is not close to the ACC in terms of level and depth of talent.

I'm seriously at a loss. If this is the kid we have coming in, I'd much rather Carey play the minutes. Or pretty much anyone.
It’s hard to sell a player getting looks from those schools on a complete backup role. Jesse is going to play obviously a majority of the minutes and rightfully so. Then there’s all this talk about how high the staff is on Peter Carey, so assuming he develops the way they think he will once he’s healthy he’s the starting center post Jesse.

Fear the Mounir

Symir alley-oop to Mounir for the dunk!

6-11 240, 7-7 wingspan, good student, work-out warrior from a top high school program.

40-minute averages of 7.7p 11.5r, 0.2a, 0.8s, 4.2b, 4.5mfg, 0.2mft 2.2to, 6.9pf = 10.6NP

Frank Anselem last year: 7.4p 10.9r 1.1a 0.7s 1.5b 1.6mfg 1.4mft 1.5to 5.7pf = 11.4NP

Sounds like just what we need as a back-up center. Sold.

Last edited:
All of these responses are glossing over the fact that this kid wasn't even a full-time starter on a 6-24 team last year.

5-10 minutes per game can win or lose you a game. Will this kid matter much? Who knows. But do you believe that Jesse Edwards will stay out of foul trouble in every game of the year? I don't.

Go out and find a 6-9 forward who can be versatile enough to play center for the 5-10 minutes you might need him to. Have Carey be the 3rd emergency guy.

This kid also has 3 years left. Boeheim doesn't care about winning games this coming year. Didn't care about it last year either. That is abundantly clear.
For a backup center this is probably as good as you are going to get. For the life of me I don't understand why we arent using the last scholarship to upgrade at at forward.

I’m chalking it up to some kind of spell check error.

I’m chalking it up to some kind of spell check error.
Could have been a voice transcript from his phone. Who knows these days. But lots to like with this kid: he's a good student; he's 7 feet tall; he can run the floor and block shots; he has a ridiculous wingspan; he scores with either hand; he's 240; and he's Orange.

Last edited:
Given how hard it is to find a backup in the portal, all we realistically need is a big body to prevent teams from abusing us in the paint for 10-12 minutes per game while Jesse is out. 7'7" wingspan should do it. And it appears he might always be a backup so he won't drive away Peter Carey or future players. Good attitude too. Only has been playing basketball a few years so he probably has untapped potential. Like cliftonparksufan said above, he'll help more than Chaz Owens, probably Bol too. Let's just hope Jesse doesn't get injured again.
I will bet the house on the under that this kid gets 10-12 minutes a game next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom