Class of 2020 - C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 C Mounir Hima (NJ) Transfer from Duquesne/COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggested when Ballard bailed that they should get a Euro or African developmental guy, but this is so much better. Mo has already played a year in a very strong conference and did decent work, proving he can compete at a high level. Great work by the coaching staff. Much better than I was hoping for.

I know people aren't overly excited to say the least but I'm good with the kid. He's 6'11 and 240. We've all wanted guys like this is opposed to the 6'11 215 type. He is athletic and likely will not be easily pushed around. At the least given his build and athleticism he should be able to rebound, dunk and maybe block shots. And use 5 fouls when necessary.
Kids in the portal were not going to be overwhelmed by the opportunity to back up a good, senior center for a team known for not playing a ton of guys off the bench. The portal is all about instant gratification. The idea that we should have gone with Carey, who has barely played the last 2 years, over a guy who played in the A-10 last year is misguided. And what's the risk? Hima isn't going to scare the Estrellas of the world we are recruiting. The staff coached up Jesse and Frank nicely, maybe they can make this guy a solid role player. And if not we move on. If the kid gives us 2 ppg 4 rpg and plays good defense next year this move makes sense in the short term and could pay off long term.

Last edited:
Hyperbole ... how it work? Not that I expect you know (it's a rhetorical question!).
Is this supposed to be English? You were so excited to bash me that you posted gibberish. I expect better from you.

The biggest thing about this commitment is what this prevents, an unproven, underweight Carey being pushed under the basket for ten minutes per game while Edwards is out. Hima is big, having gained weight up to 240, and he still looks skinny to me... He could add another 20lbs without getting slower. I suspect Syracuse will change his routine to try to add quickness and explosiveness instead of weight.

The second biggest thing about Hima committing is what it will do for Edwards. Just as we didn't want Carey guarding anybody at center in the ACC next year if we could help it, we didn't want Edwards stagnating offensively because he only had pushovers to practice against. Hima probably can't guard Edwards either, but he'll be better than the injured stick figures or small forwards on our roster at present.

Hima is big and long limbed, which we were lacking. He is more of a project than I was hoping for, but the coaches clearly wanted somebody to be here for a few years, since they only really pursued Ballard and Hima, both guys with three years left. This means to me that they see Carey as a 4-5 not a center, or they see Carey as a project who will redshirt and need two additional years contributing at center before becoming a starter.
We'll get him down to 210 before practice starts.

8322ACAC-58DF-4F2A-8256-6F2837AEBC46.jpeg

The biggest thing about this commitment is what this prevents, an unproven, underweight Carey being pushed under the basket for ten minutes per game while Edwards is out. Hima is big, having gained weight up to 240, and he still looks skinny to me... He could add another 20lbs without getting slower. I suspect Syracuse will change his routine to try to add quickness and explosiveness instead of weight.

The second biggest thing about Hima committing is what it will do for Edwards. Just as we didn't want Carey guarding anybody at center in the ACC next year if we could help it, we didn't want Edwards stagnating offensively because he only had pushovers to practice against. Hima probably can't guard Edwards either, but he'll be better than the injured stick figures or small forwards on our roster at present.

Hima is big and long limbed, which we were lacking. He is more of a project than I was hoping for, but the coaches clearly wanted somebody to be here for a few years, since they only really pursued Ballard and Hima, both guys with three years left. This means to me that they see Carey as a 4-5 not a center, or they see Carey as a project who will redshirt and need two additional years contributing at center before becoming a starter.
Carey is listed as a 4, I thought we brought him in as a 5, but maybe not?

Says the guy using his burner account ...;)
FWIW - It's not a burner account but your posts make me think something is burning - does that count?

FWIW - It's not a burner account but your posts make me think something is burning - does that count?

I expected better... to be honest. All this greatness spoken but not personified.

Coming out of high school, Hima had offers from VCU, Pitt, Texas A&M, Rhode Island, UMass and Duquesne.
I saw that too but seems pretty strange he'd go to arguably the worst bball program of the bunch if they were actual committee offers. I know 0 about their academics but seems odd unless they are special academically which I've never heard.

People are underrating this add. Quality depth with SIZE. We’re gonna need bodies to bang around with UNC and Duke bigs.
I think people are properly rating him. We all hope he's capable of putting up 2 pts and 4 rebs in 8 mpg over the next few years backing up Jesse and then hopefully Carey. That's the hope and probably best case scenario is 3/5 in 15 mins as a 5th year Sr while being a quality deterrent in the middle.

I’m fine with it...but I think for the “what’s the downside” crowd. I’d suggest sitting the bench at a terrible a-10 team would suggest there could be some downside...BUT it’s better than nothing. I would agree with that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom